1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I don't know, one one hand, bad things happen and it's not always someones fault. I don't think the airline is really responsible. On the other hand, laws require that everyone have insurance and if injury happens, your insurance is liable. Insurance companies are getting rich off not paying out, while charging high premiums with no real recourse. The "right" thing to do is for them to pay up, but I am sure the policy has enough loophole that they are not legally liable.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think if it weren't AIG, there would not be as much anger.  That said, AIG would go a long way in repairing its reputation if it covered the lost items and medicals of these lucky to be alive passengers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have to agree with MA Green.  The airline didn't do anything wrong, they were not at fault.  I do believe they should pay the passengers for their lost items, which if they gave every passenger $5,000 then they have already done that.  Although I do believe their insurance company should pay for any medical bills necessary if the injured party does not have sufficient health coverage.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
fuzzykno, very well said.  It seems like such a hard issue.  I'm sure all of those folks feel very fortunate and happy that the situation turned out the way it did.  And I do agree with you, the insurance company needs to step up and help these folks with medical bills.  I'm sure the insurance company is thinking that if they do they will be setting a precedence that could come back and bite them in the proverbial butt.  Probably something that will have to be worked out in the courts unfortunately.
deb

·
Registered
138 Posts
Have Canada pay...they were Canadian Geese, after all!  LOL...just kidding.

It's a shame these insurance companies can't or won't look past the numbers. They can't afford more bad press.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
drenee said:
And I do agree with you, the insurance company needs to step up and help these folks with medical bills.
Why? I'll admit that I don't understand the specific aspects of this case, so maybe the passengers do have a legitimate claim. However, if AIG was only providing coverage for negligence and there was no negligence, then it's kind of like expecting a doctor's malpractice insurance to cover the damage when he ran a red light and hit your car.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
marianner said:
Why? I'll admit that I don't understand the specific aspects of this case, so maybe the passengers do have a legitimate claim. However, if AIG was only providing coverage for negligence and there was no negligence, then it's kind of like expecting a doctor's malpractice insurance to cover the damage when he ran a red light and hit your car.
Lets say you are on an airplane and something mechanical happens causing the plane to land and everyone lives, but everything in the plane is destroyed by fire or water. Shouldn't the airline company pay for you things that were destroyed because they could not find the mechanical error when they we doing the routine maintenance checks?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
cheerio said:
Lets say you are on an airplane and something mechanical happens causing the plane to land and everyone lives, but everything in the plane is destroyed by fire or water. Shouldn't the airline company pay for you things that were destroyed because they could not find the mechanical error when they we doing the routine maintenance checks?
I dunno. I guess it depends on what your contract with the airline says. (And by purchasing a ticket, you are entering into a contract.) But it sounds like the airline has done that already anyway, at least for most passengers. And this crash wasn't caused by a mechanical failure, and from the accounts I've heard, the pilots did an outstanding job under the circumstances. Plus, I was specifically addressing the issue the insurance company, not the airline, being responsible for passengers' medical bills.

Just being a little bit of a devil's advocate here. Like I said, I really don't know any specifics of this case. I'm just concerned at the increasing need for our society to pin financial responsibility on anybody and everybody. Sometimes life just
sucks
and someone has to pay for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts