Registered
995 Posts
My condolences to Blake Crouch.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Kathelm said:
My condolences to Blake Crouch.
Ha! No kidding. It's like asking Michael Bay to direct your historical romance.

"Alright so John is going to smile at Mary and then her bodice will explode for some reason and we'll cut to a 5 minute montage of earth shattering explosions topped off with a car chase with lots of guns and John and Mary will steal away on horse and buggy that turns into talking pickup truck from another planet."

·
Registered
995 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
In Hollywood, all it takes is for one project to go well to make a guy hot again. The list of people who were "dead in the water" career-wise includes basically everyone who's gigantic today. (Am I the only person who remembers "Bonfire of the Vanities"?)

If Shyamalan can get this project made, kudos. They have an upward struggle, because of Shyamalan's baggage, but all it takes is decent numbers for the pilot and everybody's sending everybody fruit baskets again.

The best response is: "Yay, Blake, I hope you get picked up, and have something to show them when they say, 'What else you got?'"

·
Registered
348 Posts
Kathelm said:
Here's one example of an M. Night Shyamalan adaptation:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

His filmography in general:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/m_night_shyamalan/
Funny thing about this guy...even though I always walk out of his movies going, "Man, that was awful," I keep going back, and I've gotta admit, even though I like to groan at what he does, I usually have fun watching. The Village and (most especially) The Happening are two movies where, if you ask me, I'll tell you there are just horrible, but if they came on TV when I was flipping channels, I'd stop and watch.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Let's not forget "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs".  He can direct my books anytime he wants. Not that I suspect he wants to direct a Disney Diary that much!!

G

·
People, you do realize what the audience's reaction to M. Night Shyamalan's last movie's trailer was as soon as his name appeared? Laughter. Loud laughter. His reputation not only with the studios but more importantly with the audience is practically non-existent. At this point in his career he isn't fighting an uphill struggle. He's trying to reach the moon on top of a firecracker built by a one-eyed, one-armed chimpanzee! :-\

Now there is a slight chance Blake's movie adaption will take off even with him. But as is his name is a weight around her neck.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My response is "Congratulations, Blake, and good luck for everyone involved."

After all, wouldn't everyone here love to have that deal? (Except maybe Hugh!)

·
Registered
742 Posts
scottnicholson said:

Good just to get your nose in the tent.

·
Registered
131 Posts
scottnicholson said:

The right deal, absolutely. I would rather take my chances with a director with no name and nothing ever heard of under his belt than M Night Shyhamaln.

G

·
scottnicholson said:
Shyamalan? Heeeeelllllllllll No. I wouldn't let him near one of my books with a 50 foot pole. :p :eek: Tarantino, now. I'd probably take my chances with. At least if he screwed it up I know it would still be a fun train wreck. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
63 Posts
scottnicholson said:

I started reading Blake's books last year and, like you, he is an immensely talented writer. it doesn't matter who helms the production or directs it. Blake is receiving recognition and it's good publicity. It's awesome news.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I hope that Blake made a metric snowton of money off the thing, that's what I hope. And that it's a great movie for his sake. I've really enjoyed some of MNS's stuff, and others not so much. But to have your book made into a major motion picture — that's just fantastic.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Regardless of the director, this is lovely news for Blake Crouch. :)

But, um, M Night wouldn't be my first pick, either. Or the second. Or the fifth. /movie snob

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I read PINES a couple of months ago--my first Blake Crouch book, in a genre I rarely read--and I thought it was terrific. Great plot and some very fine writing.

Congrats to him!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts