Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really haven't seen this addressed to much, but I have to say, reading newspapers on the K2 is a serious improvement over the KK.

I tried subscribing to the paper on my KK, but ultimately got frustrated trying to read it. I like to skim the paper and with just little the headlines, it wouldn't work for me. I wound up canceling after just a week or so.

I downloaded a paper today on my K2 today, just to test it out and I was amazed by how much nicer it is to read. I can literally just flip from article to article using the 5-way. I don't get JUST the headline, I get to read the first part and if it's not something I'm interested in, I just move to the next one.

I'm going to give it a few more days to be sure, but I may actually start reading the paper again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have never owned the KK, so I have no comparison. However, I am so far impressed with my trial subscription to a newspaper and magazine...they both have the same article to article skip function via the 5-way (including the handy "next article" description in fine print near the bottom). The photos are rendered on the display very nicely as well.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
luv, it works that way for me in my KK. . . .there's a 'next article' link on each article.  So you read the first page and can move on if not interested.  Or you can go back to the section and scan the titles and first line or two of the article. . . .for some sections that's all I need to know if I want to read it.  I does seem, thought, that it would be easier with the 5-way.

Sigh. . . .I want one. . . .

Maybe someday.  :)

Ann

·
Registered
121 Posts
I didn't have a K1 so I can't compare but I can say I am impressed with newspapers on the Kindle 2.  I am more of a blog person and don't read newspapers but I actually enjoy reading the New York Times on the Kindle. I plan to try a few different papers to decide which I like the best. The subscription price is a little high though!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
luv, it works that way for me in my KK. . . .there's a 'next article' link on each article. So you read the first page and can move on if not interested. Or you can go back to the section and scan the titles and first line or two of the article. . . .for some sections that's all I need to know if I want to read it. I does seem, thought, that it would be easier with the 5-way.

Sigh. . . .I want one. . . .

Maybe someday. :)

Ann
Ann, I was showing some friends today my NY Times Latest News today and also Newsweek.

At the bottom there is a sort of 'status' line and for newspapers, the middle option is "Article List" (on every page) and you click to get the list. Then to the right is "next article" and you 5-way over to it and up comes the next article. Same for previous article! Very fast.

They've changed the layout for K2 readers in that the bold face is done to make everything easier to see and it's just very pleasant to read. Screen displays are faster. Next and prev page are faster too. So, though I loved my KK and am keeping it as backup and for expandability, it's the K2 I always have with me now.

The cover was a delightful surprise. It's thin, very flexible, very nicely padded, solid, but then you can press it in a bit so it doesn't feel like a binder, and it has an A+ system for holding in the Kindle without covering any of it up. When I go around with it, it's like a slim book or notebook. I like that it doesn't look electronic.

I am sold. I kept being pulled back to my KK the first half-day as it seemed more interesting to me and easier to hold, but now with all that this can do (direct access to words and links), you don't have to wait for the dictionary to even work hard to show you 4 or 5 words of possible interest and THEN show you the full definition if you click on one of them -- it shows you the full definition immediately) I don't want to go back to the old more boxes/presses way. Every word, if you hover on it, shows -in the status bar at the bottom - a 2-line summary definition.

And with newspapers and magazines (I do have Newsweek on the K as well as hard copy Time already), the photos are like real photos! I have always felt the newspaper and magazine photos looked like llustrations from a child's book, and as strange as this may sound, it's like magic to me to have it the way it's presented now.

Amazon did pretty well by its K1 users when it upgraded our software to allow zooming in (for maps especially) and the faster page loading due to getting two pages with one black screen display while the 2nd page displays w/o the image reversal and delay that would come with that.

But web browsing on the K2 is quite a bit faster and better, with the K1 halting on some of the pages while the K2 blithely goes on.

The changes, accumulatively, are not as minor as has been said. However, if one just wants to read books and doesn't use the web feature and doesn't subscribe to periodicals, is happy enough with the slow dictionary lookup and all the dialog popups and all the choices for 'input' and 'search' then the change to K2 is not worthwhile. It's just extras, but if you use those, they make it a really more than pleasant experience. I am amazed by it after 1.5 days.

The roller button, or 5-way: Trying to move it w/o angling the hand/thumb 'out' instead of 'down' is what causes it to feel difficult. And after I discovered that, I realized it's a more natural and comfortable hand position too.

With this cover, I feel no real need for another one - it does everything I want and feels great. It's basic black though! I will get another M-Edge (I really like their work on the Exec Leather which feels so nice and the corners were done so carefully, gripping the K1 well while my smooth-leather corner grips were flexible too) for times I go out at night and want that little light that is integrated into the cover so I don't have to bring a light along. But I will wait for their hinge version, as I know how effective it is now and easy to use too.

- Andrys

·
Registered
615 Posts
crosj said:
Every Sunday morning I download the NY times. Its a bargain at only .75.
Yes it is, and I have them collected for awhile.

Amazon says their deal with the publishers require that only one member
of a household gets a subscription and it can't be shared.

So, though I bought each Sunday's edition I am currently unable to
have Amazon send the ones in my Order box (which has a function
to mail to my Kindles) successfully. They never show up. The books do
though.

I tried copying some from my older Kindle to the new one. No dice.
People say you can copy them but you can't read them.

I got some old copies of Newsweek sent to my new Kindle and each
one would open and then wipe itself out.

The response from customer reps that people have reported is that
the newspapers are sent to only one 'device' and that device is the
only one allowed to display it.

This is seriously not-right, when it's the same person who wants
to access info bought earlier and who can't sell the old Kindle without
losing all the past info purchased.

I wanted them for searches through text as needed.

Caution: the K2 keeps them for 7 days only unless you take the
effort to let K2 know that you want to keep them (a menu option).

·
Registered
298 Posts
And with newspapers and magazines (I do have Newsweek on the K as well as hard copy Time already), the photos are like real photos! I have always felt the newspaper and magazine photos looked like llustrations from a child's book, and as strange as this may sound, it's like magic to me to have it the way it's presented now.
My trial subscription to Time started yesterday, and I've run into no pictures at all! I've even seen text that appeared to be captions, but with no photos in sight. What's up with that? I'm getting pictures with NY Times.

Another question: Where do you find the Sunday NYT for 75 cents? I have seen people mention it here, but I can't find it online... is it somewhere separate from Amazon? I haven't shopped anywhere else for Kindle stuff (yet).

·
Registered
121 Posts
BK said:
My trial subscription to Time started yesterday, and I've run into no pictures at all! I've even seen text that appeared to be captions, but with no photos in sight. What's up with that? I'm getting pictures with NY Times.

Another question: Where do you find the Sunday NYT for 75 cents? I have seen people mention it here, but I can't find it online... is it somewhere separate from Amazon? I haven't shopped anywhere else for Kindle stuff (yet).
Go to the New York Times in the Amazon Kindle store and it is beneath the subscribe now box. It says "Buy Current Issue $0.75".

·
Registered
615 Posts
BK said:
My trial subscription to Time started yesterday, and I've run into no pictures at all! I've even seen text that appeared to be captions, but with no photos in sight. What's up with that? I'm getting pictures with NY Times. ...
Time gets low ratings from Kindle readers as a result of not having any pictures.
That's ridiculous. But I have hard-copy TIME, 84 issues for $20. Couldn't pass that up.

Newsweek is a bit more casual in its reporting, but it does pretty well in Kindle format.

( I see Jeremy answered the NY Times Sunday edition question. That has the Sunday Magazine
and the weekly review of books.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts