Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you prefer the electronic copy vs. the physical copy? I am torn between getting it at my door because I love the actually turning of the pages of the newpaper. Anyone else? and what do you subscribe to if you do electronic copies?

Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
I subscribe to The Washington Post primarily because it's sometimes hard to locate when I'm out of town, but more often than not, even when I'm home I read the Kindle version.  I don't miss the hard copy version at all.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I subscribe to the Wall Street Journal online, everything else I read is free. We haven't subscribed to the physical paper in years.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I buy the NY Times 3-4 times a week, including Sunday's edition.  I don't miss the actual paper at all!  I also like that I don't have to shlep out on Sunday am to go get the paper early enough before it's sold out.  And you can't beat .75 an issue either. 

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
I subscribe to WaPo because I HATE reading a paper newspaper. . . .my fingers always end up black.  So I never really did because it was too much trouble and too messy.  Now I peruse the whole paper everyday and read a lot more than I ever did before.  Oh, but it doesn't have comics or crosswords, but I can get those on line.

I got one issue of USA Today but it didn't look great on the Kindle. . .don't know if it might be better on the DX, though they still have a lot of color charts. . .not sure how they will render.  TIME and Newsweek look o.k. too, but, again, all you get are articles. . .no charts or pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I order the NY Times every Sunday for .75.  It costs $4.50 in upstate New York.  I don't miss all that paper, black fingers or anything about the physical paper.  I love being able to download it, not have to go out and get it (no delivery here) and read it all week long!  It's great!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I've been buying the NY Times on the newsstand for years, since it's hard to get delivery in my apt. building. I had bought a few individual copies on the Kindle, and liked reading them, but I was sitting on the fence about getting the whole subscription. This was partly for the reason you pointed out - I just like the feel of reading the actual newspaper.

Then, at the beginning of last week, I went to pay my $1.50 at the newsstand one morning, and the store owner told me the price had gone up to $2.00. Somehow, I'd missed that. I checked on line, and not only is the weekday paper now $2.00, but the Sunday paper went up to $5.00. So that's $17 a WEEK vs......$14 a MONTH on the Kindle!  I started my Kindle subscription the next day!

Actually, the price difference is so good (fingers crossed that it stays that way), that I feel OK about buying a paper copy of the Sunday Times some weeks, as well as maybe one weekday paper. If I do that, I'll still be enough ahead over the course of a year that it will actually cover the cost of the Kindle. This way, I can get the Sunday crossword and some other features missing from the Kindle edition, see the ads that interest me, and essentially have my cake and eat it too! On weeks when I'm extra busy, I don't expect to buy the paper version at all (that's already happened some Sundays) so I think I'll come out ahead at the end. (And of course you get the two week free trial at the beginning, the value of which (for the NYT) just went up to $34.)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
In trying to convince my husband about the K I mentioned newpapers. His comment 1 I don't pay now and 2 l read this article and this paper who refers me to another article in another paper. I may read something in two to four paper that way all done on the internet. He could never be happy with just one paper at what ever format.
Sylvia

·
Registered
159 Posts
I like both. Both my dad and my maternal grandparents were big newspaper people, so I have positive associations of pulling the paper out, dividing up the sections to share and discussing the articles as we worked through it. However, my current local is not so hot (only published two days a week, all wire stories except for the HS sports and crime blotter), the SacBee delivery guy is too lazy to actually deliver to my apartment and my roommate isn't a newspaper reader, so I've been getting the NY Times on the Kindle. I probably read more news on the Kindle, since I can just pull it out and read an article or two when I have downtime during the day. My Kindle papers also do not take over the majority of the living room floor. It's a plus. :D

I'm considering switching to The International Herald Tribune. It's a NY Times product which also pulls from foreign papers. I don't really care about the NYC-specific stuff I'm currently getting (I can now sound quite informed while discussing the shortage of kindergarten seats in Greenwich Village for a non-resident), but I like the reviews, so... I'll probably do a trial and see if I miss the NYT-specific content. The IHT is also $4 a month cheaper. That's 5 $0.80 books a month!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Unfortunately (or, perhaps FORtunately?), the Minneapolis Star Tribune isn't available on Kindle, so I subscribe to USA Today, and WSJ. It's wonderful having them both ready for me every morning, not rain-soaked or torn, no ink-stained fingers, no missing issues!

I wasn't thrilled by the 50% bump in WSJ price to $15, and I'm trying to justify the price to my wife....

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I read the NY Times online and also buy the Sunday paper ($5.00 now!).  I loved reading the actual newspaper every day for many, many years, but after it went to $1.25 Mon.-Sat., I stopped buying it except once in a while.  Now it's $2 so I just won't buy it.  They even made the paper smaller after it went above $1.

I don't subscribe to any newspapers on my kindle, but I bought the NY Times on Christmas Day while I was on the train to NJ.  There weren't any pictures.  Are they putting pictures in the kindle version now?

I read more of the paper when I had the paper version.  Not sure why, except that the layout is different and the internet version has me clicking all over to different things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts