Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a non-owner, anxiously awaiting stock to return.  In reading all the blogs there is much discussion about how this is a 1st gen product.  Does anyone know when next gen is planned for and is there any reason to wait?  This question comes from a non-techie book-lover.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
The short answer is no one on this board, as far as I can tell, has any real idea of when 2d gen will arrive or what it will look like or do.  Lots of opinions, though!

I think the short answer is, will you be able to use it NOW?  Will it do what you need it to do NOW?  If the answer is yes, why wait?  The answer for me is definitely yes.  And I think you will not have to wait as long as it might appear for a Kindle.  Anecdotal info shows the wait time to be much shorter than advertized.

Betsy

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Nobody knows this but Amazon, and they aren't talking. Anythings else is totally unsupported info from rumor sites, who make things up to drive traffic.

Amazon's comments are that they are now working on releasing a Kindle for the European market, they have made no statements about a new model for the US other than "sometime in 2009."

Mike

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
First off Kacie, welcome. Glad to have you here.

Re: version 2...no one knows. Or those who do know aren't saying. There are rumors and there are pictures, which many suspect are fake. Version 2 of the Kindle might appear in January or it may not happen at all in 2009. No one knows.

Personally, I believe that Amazon is putting its energy towards selling the Kindle internationally. I think that is a higher priority than version 2 but then again, that's just speculation on my part. I have no hard evidence to support it.

If you are a book lover and have the money, I'd say, get a Kindle now. If your experience is like everyone else, including me, you'll be saying, "Why did I wait so long?" It's a great device.

L

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Amazon isn't saying, but there is little reason to think there will be a new one very soon. And, the first-generation Kindle is a great device.

Some suggestions:

- Order a refurb - they are available intermittently now, and come with a full warranty. (We can alert you when refurbs become available for ordering.)

- And/or, order a new one to get in line to receive one as soon as they become available. You can cancel it if you're happy with the refurb.

PS: Kindle is *great* for non-techie book lovers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts