Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Good for Them!  I think I'll send them a donation. . . . .

Ann

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Go NFB!!!

Seriously, the Authors should be happy that there is a technology there that opens their books to distribution to a group of people who would otherwise not have a chance to read them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
as someone who is legally blind, the text to speech function was the main reason I decided to upgrade.  My daughter is getting my K1 and I get to read and be read to !

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
ProfCrash said:
Go NFB!!!

Seriously, the Authors should be happy that there is a technology there that opens their books to distribution to a group of people who would otherwise not have a chance to read them.
Amen! Because braille books are generally really expensive and HUGE. They can only imprint on one side of a page and each braille 'letter' takes up more space than a printed letter. I don't know if they have any 'shortcut' braille symbols for common words. And I understand it's a laborious process because they pretty much have to be re typed. . . .I saw a picture of a braille copy of one of the Harry Potter books and it was several volumes each of which was twice as thick and larger than the hardback version.

Ann

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
As someone who spent a year of my life being legally blind (that was 40 years ago), the Writers Guild should be ashamed of themselves. Maybe blind people will be able to buy a Kindle now and buy books (which gives writers more money), books that they wouldn't otherwise be able to purchase. If someone uses text-to-speech to hear a book on the way home while driving, that probably also means more book purchases. I think these extra books sold would swamp any money lost from lower audible book sales. I think the Guild's position is disgusting.

Steve

·
Registered
294 Posts
I LOVE the idea of the K2 with the text-to-speech option on it.

I had a vision problem about two years ago. (optic neuritis in my left eye...had a ginormous blind spot obscuring most of my vision in that eye)

I used my computer's text-to-speech program (I hate Microsoft Sam) until I found a commercially made text-to-speech program (TextAloud) and just love how the text-to-speech programs work. Yes, they occasionally mispronounce words, but at least when I've needed to use the programs I can get past an occasional mispronunciation.

I still use my TextAloud program even tho my eye has pretty much recovered back to near what it was.  I've had optic neuritis (nowhere near as bad) in my other eye once or twice since then (also recovered) and really enjoying being able to read and be read to by my computer.  Altho I've only really used the programs with fan fiction stories or out-of-copyright books from the Guttenberg Project.

I cant wait to see my dad's K2 and see how the text-to-speech works.  If I like it, I'm either trading my K1 for my dad's K2, or I'll be asking for an early b-day present and may send my K1 to my sister as an early b-day present for her.

From the small sample I heard of the K2's male voice, it sounds a LOT like the voices on the TextAloud program that I use. So, at least I already have a good idea how it sounds.

I dont see how it's a copyright violation... (TextAloud might give them a run for their money, seeing as how you can use TextAloud to make an mp3 of the text of a book, and then place it on an iPod, or post it on the internet. Something I dont think you can do with a K2)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Awesome response!

I couldn't believe the AG did that. VERY poor form.

Looking forward to the text-to-speech, it should be very useful.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The NFB is right on the money, not to mention the other groups that could benefit from this!  We showed the K2 video on Amazon to our neighbor.  She has a 12 year old son who is dyslexic.  They ordered a K2 on the spot.  In the past they've gotten him audio books, but to be able to download ANY book and have it read out loud is huge for him!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I only hope Amazon considers adding text to speech for the K2 menu as well (maybe a future software revision?). This way someone with visual impairments can navigate and find the book they want to read. Maybe with such an upgrade they could also navigate the bookstore and purchase.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think the text to speech feature is great, it opens a lot of doors for people who are challenged by the everyday things we take for granted.  Go Amazon for including it and thinking outside the box!  Inovation and progress rarely take place when we stay inside it!  (the box that is :D)

Sam

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow! This is exactly what I said on the thread about Problems with text to speech; I said the blind should sue the RIAA if they demand it be taken off. It hasn't quite gotten there, but it might! Everyone should be able to "read" a book without buying costly audio books, as long as they've bought the book there shouldn't be any issue.  :mad:

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Speaking as someone with dyslexia, I am glad that the K2 has the text to speech option for folks with dyslexia. I really hope that people do not stop trying to help their kids to learn to compensate for the dyslexia and learn how to read. I saw way too many parents give up on their kids when I was in school and in resource support. I saw bright kids whose parents assumed learning disabled meant stupid and did not push their kids or push the school district to help their kids learn how to compensate. Hopefully the Kindle will be on tool used to help kids with dyslexia do well in school and not the only one.

Probably any parent willing to buy a $350 reading device for the child is someone who wants to help their child but I just get really nervous with things like this.

Sorry...

·
Registered
108 Posts
ProfCrash said:
Speaking as someone with dyslexia, I am glad that the K2 has the text to speech option for folks with dyslexia. I really hope that people do not stop trying to help their kids to learn to compensate for the dyslexia and learn how to read. I saw way too many parents give up on their kids when I was in school and in resource support. I saw bright kids whose parents assumed learning disabled meant stupid and did not push their kids or push the school district to help their kids learn how to compensate. Hopefully the Kindle will be on tool used to help kids with dyslexia do well in school and not the only one.

Probably any parent willing to buy a $350 reading device for the child is someone who wants to help their child but I just get really nervous with things like this.

Sorry...
ProfCrash...this family totally agrees with you. This child is one of the brightest I know, and the parents know that too. They fight for every program they can get in school for him, they also have hired tutor's who specialize in dyslexia, and because of it, he has now been mainstreamed in most of his classes. He is the kind of kid who wants as much knowledge as he can get his hands on, and gets frustrated because he can't absorb it as easily as everyone else. Having this kindle just gives him one more avenue to gain knowledge.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
RB said:
ProfCrash...this family totally agrees with you. This child is one of the brightest I know, and the parents know that too. They fight for every program they can get in school for him, they also have hired tutor's who specialize in dyslexia, and because of it, he has now been mainstreamed in most of his classes. He is the kind of kid who wants as much knowledge as he can get his hands on, and gets frustrated because he can't absorb it as easily as everyone else. Having this kindle just gives him one more avenue to gain knowledge.
That is awesome. I did well in school only because my Mother fought for every silly decision the school district made. They wanted to waive all math and science requirements for me (I actually have 8 learning disabilities plus ADHD) because I had struggled with math and science in elementary and junio high school. My Mom didn't let them. They wouldn't let me into AP classes, Mom got me into the ones that I belonged in. Now I have taught statistics and game theory at the collegiate level.

I saw way too many bright kids in resource support whose parents allowed the school district to screw their kids over because the parents were not informed. It scares me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
ProfCrash said:
That is awesome. I did well in school only because my Mother fought for every silly decision the school district made. They wanted to waive all math and science requirements for me (I actually have 8 learning disabilities plus ADHD) because I had struggled with math and science in elementary and junio high school. My Mom didn't let them. They wouldn't let me into AP classes, Mom got me into the ones that I belonged in. Now I have taught statistics and game theory at the collegiate level.

I saw way too many bright kids in resource support whose parents allowed the school district to screw their kids over because the parents were not informed. It scares me.
It's great to know that when you push the system, you can get results! These are great friends of ours, and it makes me crazy to see what the parents have to go through to get help for their child. He too will be a candidate for AP classes (he's in 7th grade now) and we're hoping someone has paved the way for them, and they won't have to continue fighting the fight in High School.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts