Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm not an affiliate of the author or anything like that, I just figured fans of books like Rachel Aaron's 2k to 10k a Day would enjoy a new book/motivational kick I just read called Nine Day Novel from Steve Windsor.

Of course, the idea of writing so much every day is destined to split opinion. But for authors and writers looking to increase their word count, I found Nine Day Novel to be a fantastic read with lots of great tips and advice. The book also goes hand in hand with Larry Brooks' Story Engineering model, so as a big fan of that model, it was even easier for me to wrap my head around.

There's some fascinating insights in there, and it really forced me to question whether I prefer shorter writing "bursts" or longer writing blocks--something I've failed to face up to for some time.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00STQS8WY/. I grabbed it for 99c in a Buck Books sale, but not sure if it's still on offer.

One of the better books on productivity I've read in quite some time. Recommended for all writers of all paces, with practical advice for all.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I am a KU subscriber, so I'll give it a shot. :) I need something to motivate me to write more. If I wrote more, I'd write faster. I have a weird problem--sometimes writing makes me sleepy. Like, super sleepy. I think it's the association I have between thinking up my stories/plots while lying in bed at night, and then eventually I fall asleep.  ::) My body associates that kind of thought process with winding down, relaxing, and falling asleep. I can usually fight it, but if I had a bad night's sleep the night before (and we have a baby living in the house now, so that's just about every night!) I am so tired and have a harder time fighting the sleepiness.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MaryMcDonald said:
Thanks for the heads up. I am a KU subscriber, so I'll give it a shot. :) I need something to motivate me to write more. If I wrote more, I'd write faster. I have a weird problem--sometimes writing makes me sleepy. Like, super sleepy. I think it's the association I have between thinking up my stories/plots while lying in bed at night, and then eventually I fall asleep. ::) My body associates that kind of thought process with winding down, relaxing, and falling asleep. I can usually fight it, but if I had a bad night's sleep the night before (and we have a baby living in the house now, so that's just about every night!) I am so tired and have a harder time fighting the sleepiness.
I know exactly what you're talking about, Mary. Writing puts me to sleep too. That's why I try to force myself to write first thing so I've absolutely no excuses. ;)

I found 9DN to be a good motivational read. Disagree with some points--as with all books--but take the stuff that works for you and it should help in some way or other.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ameliasmith said:
I promised myself I'd quit reading this kind of book, but I must say I'm tempted.
I enjoyed it, Amelia. It certainly motivated me to get back to a more prolific pace, that's for sure.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YodaRead said:
I generally write 10,000-12,000 a day and it takes me about six hours. This is my full time job, though.
I write about half that a day in half the time. And it's also my full time job. I need work ethic lessons from you, Yoda! :D

Z. Rider said:
And which do you prefer?
I thought I preferred the smaller chunks. Now, I'm not so sure. I find myself using Pomodoro more as an excuse to stop writing nowadays, so scheduling three hours of uninterrupted writing time actually increases my hourly word output -- as well as keeping me in the "zone". I'll experiment and let you know though.

oakwood said:
Thanks
Bought it and read some. Though I would love to be able to tap out stuff more quickly, I will never, ever, not even if my life depended on it, be one to chug out 10,000 words in a day. Neither will I dedicate the 10 hour-a-day as suggested. Never. Ever. Life is too short.

If that level of productivity is required then I outsource it since (speaking for myself) the output wouldn't matter much (to me) if I wrote it or I paid someone to flesh out my outline (there are marvelous ghostwriters out there).

10 hours a day? I probably spend that much in writing related tasks.. such as thinking ;D Not chained to the keyboard.

I respect that we all write in different ways, and for different reasons.. could I make more money at warp speed? Probably. Tried it but couldn't handle the workload. Everyone is different. (but I secretly envy those who can)
Indeed, every writer is different. I too couldn't spend ten hours a day writing and I consider myself prolific. But it's interesting to see things from a different perspective, and it certainly gave me a motivational kick up the backside to start hitting my 5k a day again. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I bought the book but haven't started reading it yet.  Reading some of the other posts though I know I won't be able to dedicate the amount of time a day to writing that he suggests. I have a day job with an hour commute each way. I have at the most four hours in the evening to get everything done around the house that I need to get done including spending some quality time with my husband, writing, dinner, housework etc.

I do have a week off coming up in April though so I might try to finish a book in 9 days then. Just reading through the look inside motivates me to write more.  I have a trilogy stuck in my head that I want to get out and this book seems like a good way to help me get that done.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bought it. :p

I am currently trying to transition from minimum 1K days (EVERY. DAY.) to min. 1K days on days I also work 12 hours at my day job + min. 2K days on days I have off (I have a lot of days off due to the shiftwork). I've had a couple of consecutive 2K days (they were making up for no words at all on Valentine's Day, mostly).

I feel like this magnitude of words will require a lot more planning than I naturally am inclined to do. And that feels itchy. LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm really intrigued by this book, but if it requires large chunks of time to dedicate to writing then I'll be left in the dust. With a full-time day job and a weekly college course I teach, it's hard to fit in writing. I'm lucky if I can belt out 500 words a day, which I know is pathetic, but its all I can muster at the moment.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
adornoda said:
I'm really intrigued by this book, but if it requires large chunks of time to dedicate to writing then I'll be left in the dust. With a full-time day job and a weekly college course I teach, it's hard to fit in writing. I'm lucky if I can belt out 500 words a day, which I know is pathetic, but its all I can muster at the moment.
I sympathise with your predicament! Sounds pretty hectic for you. There's some great advice in there on finding the time--some of which I agree with, some of which I disagree with. Best of luck either way. :)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Hmm. Might have good info, but I'm leery of the fact that the author has only published three books and none are ranked under 100k.  Writing a book on writing with only a few books under the belt seems odd to me, but that's just my opinion. Looks like he started publishing in Sept 2014? Seems like it might be a good idea to have more than a few months of experience before writing a book teaching other people. I dunno, I'm jaded I guess, hehe.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No Cat said:
Hmm. Might have good info, but I'm leery of the fact that the author has only published three books and none are ranked under 100k. Writing a book on writing with only a few books under the belt seems odd to me, but that's just my opinion. Looks like he started publishing in Sept 2014? Seems like it might be a good idea to have more than a few months of experience before writing a book teaching other people. I dunno, I'm jaded I guess, hehe.
Your scepticism is well warranted! Like you say, it's always wise to look into a writer's own credentials before taking their advice like scripture. That said, it's a decent little handbook that summarises a lot of things that have been discussed elsewhere and on here. The 'craft' section is almost directly lifted from Larry Brooks' formula.

But as you say, always very wise to do the research and take EVERYTHING with a pinch of salt. Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
983 Posts
No Cat said:
Hmm. Might have good info, but I'm leery of the fact that the author has only published three books and none are ranked under 100k. Writing a book on writing with only a few books under the belt seems odd to me, but that's just my opinion. Looks like he started publishing in Sept 2014? Seems like it might be a good idea to have more than a few months of experience before writing a book teaching other people. I dunno, I'm jaded I guess, hehe.
I find this is true for most people doling out writing advice. Jeff VanderMeer http://www.amazon.com/Jeff-VanderMeer/e/B000APJW4U/ is one exception that I've found. His fiction sells better than his non-fiction. I picked up Booklife at the library a while ago and am currently browsing through Wonderbook. These books are not aimed at writing faster, though!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've tried writing fast. It just doesn't work for me. If I force myself to write without my heart being in it, the writing sucks. Oh, I can hit the plot points and make it readable, but it reads flat, without any snap or life or the detailed descriptions that fans expect of me (and that I enjoy writing!).

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just picked up this book and found it very helpful, particularly the scrivener templates.

I think if you are new to writing / self-publishing, which I am, this book is a good place to start. There are some basic truths in it that resonate:

1) To write a novel you need tap the keyboard and put one word in front of the other. In other words stop procrastinating and get on with it.

2) To make money in self-publishing (if that's your motivation) then you need to have a mythology to produce a reasonable volume of work quickly.

3) To write faster you need to know what it is you're going to write, before you start.

All this may sound obvious to the seasoned author but to a newbie it can be an eyeopener.

I'm due to publish my very first book soon, it took me over three years to write, but there was a gigantic learning curve involved.

My next is a trilogy and I'm sure as heck going to have it all worked out in detail before I start. But I've been struggling to get my outline worked out, inciting incident, mid point, etc. So the scrivener templates with this book were well worth it for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not a fiction writer, but I really love the clean cover on this book. Curious, for those who have read it, is it adaptable for non-fiction at all? Or is it really aimed at the fiction craft primarily?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts