Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me why I can't get any Grisham books on Kindle (obviously the newest one would be the one I'm most interested in)??

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
It's possible that the author has not authorized those books on Kindle format. J.K. Rowling [Harry Potter author] has done the same and as such none of the HP series is available either......which is a real shame because i'd re-buy all 7 in a heartbeat......

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Supposedly Mr. Grisham does not embrace ebook technology. However, there is a rumor that he has seen the light and will allow his books to be Kindled. I haven't checked to see if this has happened yet.

Other authors who share his aversion include Tom Clancy, JK Rowling, Harper Lee, and JD Salinger.

Welcome to Kindleboards, btw. Glad to have you here.

L

·
Registered
111 Posts
Leslie said:
Supposedly Mr. Grisham does not embrace ebook technology. However, there is a rumor that he has seen the light and will allow his books to be Kindled. I haven't checked to see if this has happened yet.

Other authors who share his aversion include Tom Clancy, JK Rowling, Harper Lee, and JD Salinger.

Welcome to Kindleboards, btw. Glad to have you here.

L
Clance has seen the light, his books are now available.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Leslie said:

I hope the authors who are against ebook technology see the light. I'd like to have the opportunity to purchase their works in ebook format because whether they like it or not it's going to eventually end up in eformat whether they like it or no.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Eventually E-Readers will become something everyone has heard of.......it will be the text Ipod and any author would be a fool not to want in on that profit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's funny that some of these authors (Clancy) write about cutting edge techonology (some even write science fiction) and yet they are so opposed to cutting edge technology. It seems a tad hypocritical.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
cjpatrick said:
It's funny that some of these authors (Clancy) write about cutting edge techonology (some even write science fiction) and yet they are so opposed to cutting edge technology. It seems a tad hypocritical.
As someone wise* here said, the whole middle section of The Firm is about xeroxing. That wasn't even cutting edge in 1991, when it came out. ;D ;D ;D

*I think it might have been GertieKindle.

L

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Forster said:
I hope the authors who are against ebook technology see the light. I'd like to have the opportunity to purchase their works in ebook format because whether they like it or not it's going to eventually end up in eformat whether they like it or no.
Not to mention whether they get paid for it or not.

I did read a few months ago that Grisham's books would be coming out in ebook form - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123430834074270381.html. Of course this was almost two months ago.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Grisham doesn't believe in e-books.  Hmmmm.  There are a lot of things I don't understand.  Could it have less to do with e-books and more to do with money.  Grisham almost certainly has a best seller before the book is released.  What is the incentive for him to provide e-books? 

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the information.  I hope some of you are right and he decides to get on board!!  It reminds me when the microwave oven was introduced...it took some people years to give up warming up the oven.  And look where that microwave is today!!  Maybe there's hope...
Thanks again!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think a lot of it does have to do with money. A lot of the authors fear piracy. Also, I hear they don't get a larger chunk of the proceeds either. So even though a publishing company has significantly smaller productions costs, they are still getting the same high percentage of the profits. Now I imagine this will change with time as e-books are worked into upcoming contracts, etc.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Tippy said:
Grisham doesn't believe in e-books. Hmmmm. There are a lot of things I don't understand. Could it have less to do with e-books and more to do with money. Grisham almost certainly has a best seller before the book is released. What is the incentive for him to provide e-books?
I'd think the main incentive is to cut down some on the pirating of his books in digital form. It won't stop it completely, but there are people who'll buy them if they have the option rather than getting a pirated copy. Not to mention that as the popularity of e-readers grows, people who use them are much more likely to buy a book in e-book form than paper.

Usually an author's resistance to e-books seems to be because the author is worried about pirated copies. Odd way to look at it to me - the pirated copies are out there already. But at least if they make their work available legally, they can make money off what's sold legally - otherwise they create a self-fulfilling prophecy. Look at how many people have asked about Grisham's books, and J.K. Rowling's. The market is there - if they don't take advantage of it it's just money out of their pockets. (Rowling also seems to think there's something "superior" in paper vs an e-reader. Her prerogative of course, and maybe not the best business move - but then again it's not like she needs the money.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts