Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had m Kindle 2 for about 2 weeks, but today is the first day I connected via USB to the laptop.  The laptop indicated that "new hardware" was found and it shows as removable disk, but there is nothing there?!???

No files, folders, NADA!

Appreciate any feedback!

Juanita ???

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
The files may be hidden. Go to the Tools menu and select Folder Options and unhide the the 2 options with the red box around it. You should see the files then.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This worked, thank you!

Another question.  When Kindle 2 is connected should I be seeing some type of pop up box?  How does one disconnect; should there be an "eject device" similar to iPod? 

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
No you don't have to eject. Just disconnect from the computer and all will be fine. Glad it worked for you. :)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Actually, I would recommend using the "Safely disconnect hardware" icon in the system tray (lower right of the Windows screen).  It looks like a green arrow.  Just right-click on it, then click OK, then OK again.  Windows has been known to mess up the attached device if you don't do it correctly.  Why take a chance?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having this problem again!  Installed Calibre and was set to add books.  The Kindle is showing  in My Computer as Devices With Removable Storage, but no files/books???

Double checked to make sure two files previously mentioned were not again hidden--they are not.

Help, please!

MANY thanks,
Juanita

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
Actually, I would recommend using the "Safely disconnect hardware" icon in the system tray (lower right of the Windows screen). It looks like a green arrow. Just right-click on it, then click OK, then OK again. Windows has been known to mess up the attached device if you don't do it correctly. Why take a chance?
Darn right! I would never just disconnect the Kindle without doing a disconnect first. I've lost data by doing that (not data on the Kindle, though). It's even more important with a K1, which takes quite a long time to do cleanup after writing files, much more so than the K2.

Mike

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Having this problem again!  Installed Calibre and was set to add books.  The Kindle is showing  in My Computer as Devices With Removable Storage, but no files/books???

Double checked to make sure two files previously mentioned were not again hidden--they are not.

Help, please!

MANY thanks,
Juanita

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
My K1 tells me never to disconnect as long as the little silver thingy is swirling, so I don't.  I also make sure I've closed any Explorer windows that opened while the Kindle was attached (one for the Kindle, one for the SD card). 

Some of my device instructions tell me to use the the Safely Disconnect Hardware and some say they can be hot swapped.  I follow the manufacturer's advice in each case.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Juanita, I am going to merge this into your other thread, which seems to be addressing the same issue. That will keep all the conversations in one place which hopefully will be easier for you and others to navigate.

Leslie
Global Mod

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leslie,

In "My Computer", right clicked on Removable Storage Device (E) (Kindle 2); no files or documents?  Should I be looking another way?

P.S. Sorry for the double-post; people were responding, but to the later issue of "disconnecting", so I thought if I reposted as a new topic, we'd get back to that topic. 

Juanita

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Can you use Windows Explorer?

Use Windows Explorer and navigate to the drive that is your Kindle (on my computer it is G:, yours may be different) and from there, see if you can find the documents folder. Click on that (with your mouse, not a right click) and see if you see the files.

L

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If I'm understanding JC, she's not seeing the documents folder, or anything else, on the Kindle drive. If your Kindle is still working when it's not attached to the PC, maybe it's gotten its drives mixed up. I think there's a way to manipulate this, but I've never done it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
jmiked said:
Darn right! I would never just disconnect the Kindle without doing a disconnect first. I've lost data by doing that (not data on the Kindle, though). It's even more important with a K1, which takes quite a long time to do cleanup after writing files, much more so than the K2.

Mike
Yeah. The two times I disconnected my kindle2 by unplugging the USB cable (instead of by first ejecting the K2 by dragging its icon into the trash) I was subsequently unable to get my computer to recognize the K2 until I had rebooted the K2. I think the kindle is happier if you eject it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This has been resolved, at least temporarily.  Someone over on Mobileread suggested re-setting, which I did NOT do, but thought first I would turn off/on again, which seemed to work.  I'm not sure, but I may have a USB problem.  The USB connection feels a little loose, af first I thought only on the Kindle end, but now second-guessing on the laptop end.  Should it be a secure, snug fit or should there be some wiggle?  I guess I could compare the USB connection from my iPod to see if there is any wiggle or if it's snug.

Thanks for all the help! :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
Actually, I would recommend using the "Safely disconnect hardware" icon in the system tray (lower right of the Windows screen). It looks like a green arrow. Just right-click on it, then click OK, then OK again. Windows has been known to mess up the attached device if you don't do it correctly. Why take a chance?
For all hardware that is connected to my pc, I would recommend disconnecting it before just unplugging it via usb. Unplugging suddenly may cause sudden loss of files or the ruin of your hard disk.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts