Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in New York city and I travel on the subway several times each day.  I have seen almost every kind of device "in the wild" on a regular basis: iphone5s, the latest and greatest ipads, Fires, Kindles and Nooks of almost every generation and model (not to mention cases from the most mundane to the most extravagant.) But I don't think I have ever seen a Paperwhite Kindle in the wild.  I keep looking because I've never actually seen one in person, and I would like to. Is it possible I've seen a PW and didn't realize it?  Or are people just leaving the PW home?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I live in the Dallas metroplex. In addition to all the gadgets you mentioned, on the train, I did see one or two gentlemen use their PW's around December last year on separate occasions. They were using it without any case or cover. Since I myself alternate between my KTouch or K3 or sometimes my classic Nook (I kept it for epubs), I can immediately see the difference since their screens have a faint light peeking (it stands out since the "glow" is not as bright as the tablets that everyone else has) and there is no button on the lower edge. I see a lot more of the mini iPads recently, but of all the Kindles, the K3/Kindle Keyboard (graphite) remains the most popular - older ladies have it in their Vera Bradley cases and read it without a cover, while most of the men have it in solid colored sleeves, or in a Pad & Quill or Oberon cover. I rarely see the original iPad, K1 or K2 anymore. BTW, I only ride at the tail end of rush hour, so their may be more PWs in the wild during rush hour. They are out there! :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Should you ever make it to (not so) sunny Lancashire on this side of the pond, you may possibly see me and my PW out in the wild, most often in a pub with a pint!

I've not seen one otherwise, but there again I rarely travel by public transport (it doesn't go where I need to go!) so I rarely see any other device in use either.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I've noticed this on the NYC subway too. I'm part of the problem, because I mainly read my KPW at home, and use the basic Kindle (K4) as my subway Kindle. It's the smallest, lightest one, and the least expensive, should anything happen to it. I do take the KPW when I ride the Long Island Railroad - that just feels safer to me. Of course on the subway, I've seen people using their expensive iPads and Apple laptops, etc., so this is just me.

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
obviously you've never seen me on the subway.  and i have actually seen a couple of other PWs on the train. 

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I've been seeing quite a few small readers, but not sure if they are PW or just what.  I did meet one woman who had an ipad mini AND a small Kindle, sharing a case of some sort.  I've seem Kindles of all sorts (some not recently) and now and then an iPad.  Many people still think my Fire HD 8.9" is an iPad.    I have carried, first my K1, then my K2, then a DX refurb, then a K3, followed by an original Fire and now the HD 8.9" in the wild. 

Not on public transportation, but when I go for appointments and in my volunteer driving of cancer patients, where I quite often hang out in waiting rooms or at hospitals/medical centers and where I see the other  wild readers, pads and so on.  But to my knowledge I haven't specifically seen a PW, ever.

I remember the early days with the K1 when it was quite exciting to see another Kindle out and about. 

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
I took my PW on one business trip, where you might have caught me on the plane or at the airport.  But my Kindle stays home except on overnight trips.  For quick reading during the day, I use my Android phone.

I don't use public transport, but I've seen one PW in a McDonald's.  I agree that K3 is by far the most common Kindle being carried around.  I do see a surprising number of Nooks, too.

·
Super Moderator
67,396 Posts
My PW goes with me pretty much everywhere, but is in my purse unless I'm actively using it.  And, when I use public transport, the ride is never that long -- like maybe 10 minutes -- and I don't usually bother to take it out.  I mostly see others with smart phones and occasionally various flavors of tablets. 

I do see a fair number of various sorts of kindles in the lines of folks waiting for the buses that are longer trips. . . . .

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I keep the light turned down so low on mine, I'm not sure if, in a brightly lit train car (and the subway in Washington, DC is pretty brightly lit), you would be able to tell it's a PW.

Betsy

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I keep the light turned down so low on mine, I'm not sure if, in a brightly lit train car (and the subway in Washington, DC is pretty brightly lit), you would be able to tell it's a PW.

Betsy
yeah, i was trying to figure out how exactly you'd tell a PW from any other kindle if the light was turned down.

that said, i'm pretty sure i say a PW at the station today. and i think it was in a fintie cover. looked like mine.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Well, of course, the bezel/surround is different.  And I suppose if the train isn't well lit, the glow of the screen would still be visible.

I suspect there are more of them out there than the OP thinks, just not so noticeable.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Now that you mention it I haven't seen any PWs, Kindle Touchs or $69/79 K4NT.  I usually seen Kindle Keyboards and sometimes K2s.  I do see Nook Simple Touchs but can't tell if they are glow or not.  I don't fly very often, but did fly a few weeks ago and both going and coming back didn't notice any other passengers with a Kindle out.  I also haven't seen any Kindle Fires which is surprising.

Currently I take my PW with me everywhere.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
fancynancy said:
I live in New York city and I travel on the subway several times each day. I have seen almost every kind of device "in the wild" on a regular basis: iphone5s, the latest and greatest ipads, Fires, Kindles and Nooks of almost every generation and model (not to mention cases from the most mundane to the most extravagant.) But I don't think I have ever seen a Paperwhite Kindle in the wild. I keep looking because I've never actually seen one in person, and I would like to. Is it possible I've seen a PW and didn't realize it? Or are people just leaving the PW home?
I own a KPW. I don't live in New York City, though, and have no particular desire to since I only recently (about 18 months ago) moved to Oregon from Minnesota and really like it here.

But I've seen many KPWs (besides my own) "in the wild." Wish I knew where to point you, but NYC isn't my neck of the woods at this point.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't see many readers in the wild. I'm not talking about devices but people who read. When I used to fly I would notice, just for fun, how many people got on the plane with a book. Not many. Magazines to flip through, movies to watch, or even drinking enough to go to sleep seemed preferred.

When I go out, my reader is always with me. I sit in the park and read. When I eat alone I read. Dimly lit restaurants were a big motivation for getting a PW and I've now retired my Petzl headlamp.

Of course, I don't live in New York or Chicago or Philadelphia. I wonder if they'll be coming out with a Kevlar vest with a Kindle pocket soon.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Just one thought, and this isn't aimed at NYC because it's true just about anywhere:

Ever stopped to think that some people might not want to display a piece of tech like a Kindle on public transportation?

Not that a KPW is anything overly expensive, but you know, you read about people on public transportation all over the country who get stabbed or beat up or shot or whatever because someone saw they had a fancy smartphone, a cool tablet (which covers eReaders for this illustration), or -- going a bit more old-school -- even a nice pair of sneakers.

I hear probably 3-5 stories like that a year here in Portland... and Portland's not exactly the highest-crime-rate city in the nation. And you just know things like this happen and it never make the news... probably more often than it does.

I take my Samsung SIII and my Kindle PW with me wherever I go, most of the time... I also take my Nexus 7 tablet if I'm going someplace overnight. (As well as all my charging cords on overnights.)

But when I get on a city bus, I don't often take out anything conspicuous. Maybe I'm being too suspicious or overly cautious, but you just never know when someone will decide that what you have in your hands is worth more to them than the effort it takes to rob you of it.

It can happen just about anywhere.

(And yes, I probably am overly cautious. Always have been. I was raised in a town of 350 and I'd lock my car doors even when I'd go out to a friend's farmhouse for a visit, even though no one lived within a mile of him. It's just how I'm built...)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Smartphones are being snatched up like candy on buses these days where I live. I never pull mine out when I'm on one. I still carry one, though, and I carry my PW. I just don't use them until I get where I'm going. Like today. There will be a PW in the wild in my doctor's office today.  :)

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
On my recent flight to the west coast, ereaders and iPads were everywhere.  The woman next to me had a basic Kindle.  But I have seen smartphones stolen in Washington, DC's metro system.

Betsy

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have never seen a PW in the wild either. I mostly see Nooks and kindle keyboards.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CraigInTwinCities said:
Just one thought, and this isn't aimed at NYC because it's true just about anywhere:

Ever stopped to think that some people might not want to display a piece of tech like a Kindle on public transportation?
Craig, I just had to laugh when I read this. My company is now supplying us with iphone5s. I had never owned an iphone before, didn't want one, and felt nervous about all the warnings to keep it hidden and out of sight. By the second day on the subway, I noticed that there were plenty of communters with iphone5s out in plain sight! Now I pull it out on the train all the time, and I haven't even noticed anyone giving it a second glance. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts