Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No new sales have registered on my account since yesterday morning but my ranking has improved...has anyone else had this happen?  And do you know how this could happen?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Harris Channing said:
No new sales have registered on my account since yesterday morning but my ranking has improved...has anyone else had this happen? And do you know how this could happen?
Harris,

It can be a combination of things (I believe).

Your book might have had a more recent sale than the ones above you in ranking - so they fall faster - therefore moving yours up.

It's an illusion though - only a temporary "rise".

Could also be that your book was "liked" or "tagged" or even reviewed. All of these things seem to be some sort of factor in Amazon's algorithm for sales ranking.

Raymond

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I was going to ask the same question.  I've not had a sale for a few days, but suddenly I'm up in the top 100 again...very strange. 

·
Registered
694 Posts
Same thing happened on my slowest selling (new) title. I haven't had a same in a couple days, and the ranking jumped this morning for no appparent reason. Perhaps Amazon's system is lagging in reporting sales (it happens), or they've changed the ranking algorithm to our momentary benefit. Enjoy the unexpected gift.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Survival Instinct which I have lagged behind in Marketing as opposed to Lunch Break Thrillers, has picked up a few sales but I don't know how the sales justify a ranking of just under 100k

All I can say is the 500k below me must me selling next to nothing.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think (hope) that the system is lagging in sales reporting. Otherwise I only sold 7 books overnight, after waking up to 25-35 every morning this month.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
When sales are being reported immediately, and there is no lag -

This happens in a system where the age of the sale is considered in the rankings. Your rank can go up because of your sales, or it can go up because other folks fell in rank. They can fall behind you if the value of their past sales is falling faster than the value of your past sales.

If someone has a higher rank than you have, and their sales are concentrated earlier than yours are, their sales "decay" faster than yours. Since they decay faster, their total rank can move from above to below you.

So don't think of it as you going up in rank. Think of it as others falling back.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yes, this is happening to me too.

Woke up this morning to 47 sales when it's been over 100 for the past month.

Very odd.

I hope it's just a glitch in the system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My sales are all of a sudden terrible as well! But, my rank has risen (in the wrong direction) so it has me a bit panicked! It's literally the ups and downs of the business I guess, but it's a little disruptive to my ever rising ego! Hahaha, now my family can let me back in the house.  My sales aren't near what most of yours are, but I'm in bestseller categories for Western and Historical Fiction (well, I was...). Ugh, hope to rise back up soon!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Mine went up to...with zilcho sales for the past week.  Can't wait for my Kindle Nation ad next month because no marketing efforts seem to be working for me right now.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My sales have slipped, and so have my rankings. I would love to know why... Amazon servers sluggish? Too many free books?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think we're having lags in the sales reports again. It happens from time to time. I keep a daily record of my sales, so when I have a serious drop like happened today, it's fairly obvious. UK sales seem stable though, so perhaps it's just the US side of things. They were down dramatically overnight, and I doubt it's all the free books (for a start, I have a free book out there!) doing damage all of a sudden.

Come tomorrow, Amazon will have probably got their act together and fixed it.

It is getting tougher to retain ranking at the US site though. So many books on there now competing with each other. Staying in the 20,000 and under market is a total drain of my energy!

Felicity Heaton

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Let me just say, that this is a relief to see.  I've been mucking with my pricing too, so I have been crediting my drop-off in sales to that.  As it is, I will hang tough.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
John Hartness said:
I think (hope) that the system is lagging in sales reporting. Otherwise I only sold 7 books overnight, after waking up to 25-35 every morning this month.
About the same here. Night before last I had 49 sales. Last night? 7. What the heck? Something's weird. Glad to see it's not just me. I'll relax now and stop making alternate career plans.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My sales have fallen substantially in the last few days, but my ranking has correctly reflected that. Now if my ranking would go up, I could at least join the rest of you.

Seriously, I'm glad I'm not the only one to have sudden loss of sales. Misery loves company and all that.  :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts