Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Hi Chrystalla - there was a thread on here the other day about them disappearing from book pages. It seems Amazon is doing away with them. Most of mine are gone, too.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Seems to be a permanent change. There has been talk that they would take this step for a while. I think it's too bad, but sometimes they were mislead. I think all of mine are gone as well and have been for several days.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Yes, I'm guessing it's permanent, too. Not sure why they did it, but I've read that some folks gaming the system a possible reason. As was said before, it makes choosing the right category tags in your dashboard all the more important.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Chrystalla said:
So tags won't show, but the ones the author chooses will be important when readers do searches?
Yes, since those are pretty much all that will be used in searches, it's even more important to make sure you've chosen the best ones for your books.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sent an email about this and received a reply that said, yes, that particular feature is being discontinued.

So, yep, we'll have to pick our categories carefully.  Anyone know offhand if searches pick up terms in the product descriptions as well as in author, title, and category?

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's a real bummer. When tags are used properly, they can be an incredible organizational tool. The librarian in me is not liking this.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Andrew Biss said:
Yes, since those are pretty much all that will be used in searches, it's even more important to make sure you've chosen the best ones for your books.
Do you know for sure that those are used in searches still? I'm wondering since tags no longer show.

I'm not saying they won't but this is something that is going under major revision so... I have no idea what does now or will affect searches.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Tony Rabig said:
Anyone know offhand if searches pick up terms in the product descriptions as well as in author, title, and category?
Almost certainly Google searches do, but I don't know about internal Amazon searches.

·
Registered
332 Posts
In addition to the tags, I've also noticed that some categories--the ones that were assigned by Amazon, not the author--are missing as well. That's a real bummer, because the one that I had--"single women"--seemed to have generated a good flow of sales. The category suddenly disappeared, and the sales stopped ??? Now I have to rethink everything again.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
JRTomlin said:
Do you know for sure that those are used in searches still? I'm wondering since tags no longer show.

I'm not saying they won't but this is something that is going under major revision so... I have no idea what does now or will affect searches.
No, not for sure, but I really hope so. Since it's meta data, I'm hoping it's being kept in as a basic search function.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts