Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's interesting that no one has started a thread on the new iPad yet. I've been a reliable cash cow for Apple, I bought the iPad one, two, four, and Air on the release date. But I haven't even considered buying this one! I really like the light weight of the iPad Air 1, the only negative I have about it is that web browsing is a bit buggy since the most recent iOS 8 update (which I expect will be patched soon enough), and I have a nice OtterBox defender case for if I want to take it in harm's way. I'd have to replace or do without the case because of the thinner design of the new one. I understand the new Air is a bit thinner (which I don't care about) and weighs the same.

The pundits have been saying this is a rather blah upgrade, and I think they're right. But are there any members out there who are eager for the new design? It might look great to someone still using an iPad 2 or 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
There seem to be two camps regarding the new ipad air, one who feels it isn't a significant upgrade and those who feel it is.  It is thinner, weights a bit less, has a faster processor, different screen etc. In my elderly mind that makes it a worthwhile upgrade.  I am getting one because I miss the larger screen (have mini now) to do my jigsaw puzzle, watch movies, etc. Also am getting the gold one so it will match my iphone 6. ;) What can I say I am a apple kindle whore and am not getting any money or kisses for my loyalty!! ;D  Had a bunch of BB cert and a gift card to use so it helped justify getting one. At least that is the story I am sticking with!! Also got the fire HD 6 and have to say it has replaced my ipad mini to read at night with. It is the perfect size to take with me when I just want to read and don't want to carry anything larger. It fits nicely in my scottevest and is not as bulky as the other toys. Also will conserve my battery usage on the iphone. Plan on keeping it for awhile this time around so saving on the battery is important.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,248 Posts
The Hooded Claw said:
It's interesting that no one has started a thread on the new iPad yet.
Seems to me, Claw, that you just did. :D

FWIW, I don't really follow Apple at all -- have no iThings and no interest in getting any -- but something crossed my eyeballs via FB the other day that the newest iPads that have cell capability have "AppleSims" which means they're transferable to various networks? No clue what, exactly, that means or what difference it makes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kwajkat said:
There seem to be two camps regarding the new ipad air, one who feels it isn't a significant upgrade and those who feel it is. It is thinner, weights a bit less, has a faster processor, different screen etc. In my elderly mind that makes it a worthwhile upgrade. I am getting one because I miss the larger screen (have mini now) to do my jigsaw puzzle, watch movies, etc. Also am getting the gold one so it will match my iphone 6. ;) What can I say I am a apple kindle whore and am not getting any money or kisses for my loyalty!! ;D Had a bunch of BB cert and a gift card to use so it helped justify getting one. At least that is the story I am sticking with!! Also got the fire HD 6 and have to say it has replaced my ipad mini to read at night with. It is the perfect size to take with me when I just want to read and don't want to carry anything larger. It fits nicely in my scottevest and is not as bulky as the other toys. Also will conserve my battery usage on the iphone. Plan on keeping it for awhile this time around so saving on the battery is important.
I definitely like the larger screen, I would never have been happy with an iPad mini as my only tablet! For me, they've gotten weight and thickness down low enough that further decreases don't move me, but obviously they appeal to some buyers--having choices, shades of Android! Have fun with your new toy!

I might have considered an HD6 if I didn't have an HDX7 already for when I am trying to travel ultra lightweight and for watching video in bed as I wind down at night.

I am also a Scottevest user. I really like my Tropiformer, which is my go-to lightweight jacket and windbreaker, and their Explorer shirts can't be beat for traveling or hiking. I'm not as keen on some t shirts I bought from them. Love the pockets, but the material frizzed up on every one of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,811 Posts
I was going to start this thread last night, but ran out of time. I'm getting this hopefully at BB instead of ordering it online at Apple like I have in the past. I am giving my iPad 2 to my father, so this will be a nice upgrade. I was going to get the iPad Mini 3, but someone pointed out there is a bigger upgrade for the Air. My iPad 2 & original Mini is buggy too, since the update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
I love my scottevest stuff of which I have several things. The only thing I don't like about the Explorer shirt is that it wrinkles really bad. The other one doesn't and it is nice as a jacket shirt over a t shirt for those times when you need something but not as heavy as a jacket. Sometimes the tropiformer gets too warm for me. I do like it better than the transformer one. Have the Revolution plus jacket got off ebay for really great price brand new but it hasn't been cold enough to wear it the last two years. Picked up an expedition jacket and quest vest off ebay as well. You can get some great deals on them much better than paying full price or even the 20% off deals they have.  So you can say I am a huge fan of scottevest. Great for going through TSA.

Watched a movie on the HD6 last night not bad. I plan on using my to hold my kindle library and use the ipad for movies and games. Best of both worlds!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I imagine the HD6 will work like the HDX 7 does for me, as a do-it-all ereader, browser,, and video viewer, but I'd rather have afull-sized ipad for video!

They had an end-of-season sale on the heaviest Scottevest jacket (forget the name) at the end of last winter, and I got one semi-cheap, but it hasn't been cold enough to wear yet! That will come soon, though.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Since I just got my Air in May, I'm not quite ready for a new iPad yet.  I did read that reviewers thought the new Air  was a worthy upgrade, but that they were underwhelmed by the new iPad Mini.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
I am still undecided. I have the first version on the mini, a better screen would be nice, but I'm not that pressed, mine works just fine, even with the upgrade. I also have the ipad 3. The only reason I was thinking about upgrading it was for all my devices to have the same plugs. It still works great, I didn't do the update on it after hearing so many complain. I'm in no rush. If there's a great Black Friday offer, I might, otherwise I'm good. I'll save my money for the watch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,154 Posts
I usually like to splurge and get myself the new ipad model when it comes out, but I'm undecided on the new one.  The Air is a really good tablet and I haven't had any issues with it. It's fast, powerful, and gets good battery life.  I typically never say no to a processor bump and I really like touch ID, but I was hoping for "something else" that would differentiate the new model from the old.  For a while there were rumors the new ipad would get split screen abilities to run multiple apps at once.  That would have been fairly useful to have, but there was nary a peep about it in Apple's presentation.

As it is, I'm not really certain that what's there is worth plunking down the money to upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
I love my ipad Air and truly can't think of anything that needs to be improved on it. 
As Rick said, a split screen would be nice, but even if it were in the new version, I wouldn't be buying.  I am too happy with what I have to spend the money on new. Even I were looking to upgrade from an older version, I would probably go with last year's Air if it would save me some serious money ( $100 or more.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
If you go to the Macrumors.com website, they have an article on the benchmarks for the ipads, iphones, etc. I would say based on those marks that people who are saying the air 2 is not an improvement need to rethink their thoughts. Looks to me like there is a large jump in performance.  Anyway I have mine ordered and am looking forward to getting it. I have the ipad mini 2 but am looking forward to the larger screen to play my jigsaw game and watch movies. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,154 Posts
kwajkat said:
If you go to the Macrumors.com website, they have an article on the benchmarks for the ipads, iphones, etc. I would say based on those marks that people who are saying the air 2 is not an improvement need to rethink their thoughts. Looks to me like there is a large jump in performance. Anyway I have mine ordered and am looking forward to getting it. I have the ipad mini 2 but am looking forward to the larger screen to play my jigsaw game and watch movies.
I saw it and I've gotta say it definitely is swaying me. That's some serious firepower under the hood. The only thing I have to ask myself now is will I have a reason to use that extra power or if I just want it because it's cool. :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
kwajkat said:
Wanting it just because it is cool works!!
Wanting it just because it is cool definitely works for me! Actually buying it just because it is cool, not so much. :( I'll wait.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,101 Posts
I have an original mini and bought DH an Air last year.  The Air is really nice.  So now I want an Air 2 or original Air if someone is selling a 32 or 64GB for a good price.  I'd keep my mini for traveling and carrying around. I use my mini so much more than my Amazon Fire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
I'm on the fence. Last year I bought my first iPad, the Air. I decided I wanted the mini and would buy this year's updated model. Unfortunately, the Mini 3 is the Mini with Retina display with Touch ID and anew color.

I'm thinking about getting last year's Mini at a discounted price, but I find surfing the web slow on my iPhone 5s and Air, and the Mini 2 has the same chip so wouldn't be faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,101 Posts
Cardinal said:
I'm on the fence. Last year I bought my first iPad, the Air. I decided I wanted the mini and would buy this year's updated model. Unfortunately, the Mini 3 is the Mini with Retina display with Touch ID and anew color.

I'm thinking about getting last year's Mini at a discounted price, but I find surfing the web slow on my iPhone 5s and Air, and the Mini 2 has the same chip so wouldn't be faster.
I haven't heard of issues with the newer ipads being slow. I have the original Mini and haven't noticed any slowness issues although I only have this and the Kindle Fire HD for comparison. I want the Air 2 but upgrading for the size. I will keep my Mini though.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top