Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you may be familiar with my "libro" story already. Libro is the self-sacrificing Mom who bypassed all the Kindle hype and promotions and finally decided to ask for one for this Christmas, then they sold out. Loving husband almost definitely appears to be taking no immediate action--almost certain I'll get a paper coupon for Kindle 2.0 at best (not to complain, but for the obsessed with no evidence of Kindle 2, it's frustrating). This Kindle obsession is hard to break.

Refurbs aren't available, it looks as though orders for new Kindles won't ship until mid to late February, and word is stronger and stronger that Kindle 2.0 may be coming out right around that time.

So, my question is this: What do you think would happen if someone ordered a new Kindle right now and Amazon decided to roll out the Kindle 2.0 in late February? Do you think they'll fulfill the December orders with Kindle 1.0? Anyone have a crystal ball? :-\

There are some rumors that the Kindle 2.0 doesn't have a memory slot. Would this mean it holds more books? I'm so confused. When I look at the latest alleged "spy" shots of Kindle 2.0, I like the 1.0 better in terms of button placement, etc. I think. What does a non-Kindler know....

What would you do if you were me? Santa has surprised me in the past with nice gifts, but those were purchased with cash. Amazon would be credit card and there is absolutely no evidence.

Tell me to get over it, right? I need a reality check, don't I?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
They probably will fulfill orders with v.1 before v.2, obviously to rid old before new.  BUT--that being said, If your in it to READ and not wanting it to be the jack of all trades including doing the dishes, then you should be fine with v.1.  If you are the "gotta have the latest and greatest" type, then wait. 

It's basically a matter of preference.  I love v.1 and could care less about v.2; but I only use it to READ as intended.  I keep my Whispernet off unless needed and never use the other (email, internet, blog etc...) features.  I only have one MP3 thing in it and that is the sound of the ocean...no music.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm like you, sjc, don't need the latest and greatest, but some sort of significant price reduction would be hard to take.  Somehow I don't see Amazon lowering the price of K2 and would expect the opposite if anything. 

sjc, I hope your Mom is feeling well today.  Send her our hugs.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I agree with sjc... I love my kindle just as it is! I have used the web browser twice, and that was only because I was having problems getting to the feedbooks website! I don't need it for music or email or anything other than reading my books. I wouldn't care if v2 came out tomorrow... I have no regrets with my purchase. As for those supposed pictures... they look fake to me! I know this probably doesn't help... I hope your hubby has figured out a way to surprise you with a Kindle for Christmas or at least give you an IOU and tell you to order one. Asking Kindle obsessed people what they think may not get you the answers you or your husband want.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The pictures are not fake.  The website that got them is very reputable and extremely well-known in the gadget world.  They have gotten pre-production Blackberry's before people even knew they were being developed, they got pictures of iPhone's when only a small group of people actually had access to them.  The question is when it will be out...

I just don't know whether to wait or not.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Badandy said:
I try to de-obsess (ha ha) by reminding myself how many years we've all waited before Kindle was even born :D

If would be a very different story for me if there were actually Kindles available immediately; then I wouldn't wait. However, to wait 11-13 weeks or more and then K2 to launch would not be something I'd like.

I

·
0 Posts
If you really really want one, keep an eye on the refurb link.  They have a limited supply pop up there every day.

No one but the Amazon top brass knows for sure when K2 is coming out.  The say not until late 2k9 but you never know.

B

·
0 Posts
Here's what you do: Wait another few weeks and then order a Kindle. That will probably get it sent to you sometime in March. Remember that your credit card will not be billed until the Kindle is shipped. If the time for it to ship approaches and there is more news about 2.0 being near release, simply cancel your order and order one of the new ones. You can do so clear up until and including when your Kindle is "being prepared for shipping" at no cost.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Badandy said:
The pictures are not fake. The website that got them is very reputable and extremely well-known in the gadget world.

The question is when it will be out...
I've heard that those supposed 2G Kindle pictures are actually the workup made for the 1G!

Barcadi Jim give good advice, I think.

My two cents,

Marci

·
Registered
509 Posts
Badandy said:
The pictures are not fake. The website that got them is very reputable and extremely well-known in the gadget world. They have gotten pre-production Blackberry's before people even knew they were being developed, they got pictures of iPhone's when only a small group of people actually had access to them. The question is when it will be out...

No reputable entity conducts industrial espionage and then brags about it.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I love my v1 and have no regrets. 

If those photos are actually of the v2, I don't see myself getting a new one.

*I didn't care for the rounded shape. That's just personal taste, but it looks like you would have to read it naked and just carry it in a sleeve.  I feel safer with mine in a cover.
*I like having the option to add an SD card.  I move a lot.  I have lived in places that don't have whispernet and will probably go back.  Having the ability to load all my books on my K is a must.
*I prefer the v1 keyboard layout.  I sometime hold my K with my thumb in the division between the keys. The layout in the photo would not allow that.

IMO, it is a step backward in design.  Any v1 issues I have can be corrected with a software upgrade.  I don't need a redesigned case.   

I have to agree with BJ.  Put one on order.  It will get you in line for a Kindle in March.  Don't forget there is also a 30 day money back guarantee, you can always return it if you don't like it.

At this point you have a long time to wait.  It should be fairly easy to save up most of the money so you don't have to put it all on a credit card.  Anytime you have a few extra bucks, put it on a giftcard.  You can redeem them immediately and Amazon will hold the money in your account until you use it.  Just consider it your Kindle savings account. :D  They will use your balance first and only charge your card for the difference.

There are a couple of good threads about making some extra money.  Look up the Coinstar thread.  You have to act fast on this one, it expires 12/7.  There's also one about getting money for old cell phones.  Just a couple of ideas to save cash without depriving the kids. 

Best case scenario, DH really did get you one for Christmas.  You cancel your own Kindle order and have extra money saved up for books.

You deserve something new from time to time, too.  You just need to think creatively and plot a bit. ;D

A

·
0 Posts
Badandy said:
The pictures are not fake. The website that got them is very reputable and extremely well-known in the gadget world. They have gotten pre-production Blackberry's before people even knew they were being developed, they got pictures of iPhone's when only a small group of people actually had access to them. The question is when it will be out...

BoyGenius is far from a reputable site. Jeff Bezos himself said no new Kindle until late 2009 at the earliest. Why would he lie?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Teninx said:
No reputable entity conducts industrial espionage and then brags about it.
Quite the contrary. There are many instances of company insiders staging (or even submitting) spy shots to build anticipation and demand for unreleased products. And my usage of reputable stems from the authenticity of images in the past their track record of gadget previews.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If K2 pictures are correct I don't think I will upgrade. While thinner is nice, the form factor looks too big (bigger than a paperback book). That will not work for me. It seems to me they are trying to design it for a better keyboard and more internet functionality, rather than just better book reading functionality.

Steve

I

·
0 Posts
stevene9 said:
If K2 pictures are correct I don't think I will upgrade. While thinner is nice, the form factor looks too big (bigger than a paperback book). That will not work for me. It seems to me they are trying to design it for a better keyboard and more internet functionality, rather than just better book reading functionality.

Steve
They should never sacrifice it's primary purpose to enhance it's secondary features. If they did that we'll end up with another gadget that does everything mediocre at best instead of something like today's Kindle that shines as the best Ereader out there.

(I think that is the longest sentence I have ever written!)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although I've not so much as touched one Kindle, judging by pictures alone I would have to say I like the photos for utility, function, etc. of the Kindle 1. 

If the "spy" pictures are real, I question why Kindle would make a longer Kindle.  To me, the first version would seem more comfortable. 

Without an SD card slot, it would also have to hold a LOT of books for storage, etc. 

Thanks for all the great advice!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Badandy said:
Quite the contrary. There are many instances of company insiders staging (or even submitting) spy shots to build anticipation and demand for unreleased products. And my usage of reputable stems from the authenticity of images in the past their track record of gadget previews.
Balony.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If the pictures of version 2 are real (which i doubt they are), I would jump on getting a version 1 while you can. I really do not like the design of the kindle in the pictures - seems a step backwards (which is why I doubt they are real).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts