Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all! My wife and I have been waiting on the sidelines for the past year, and have finally taken the plunge! I'm an E.R. physician, and the fetching Mrs. r0b0d0c is a nurse - we have 5 grown children, and are avid readers. With overflowing bookshelves (and boxes in the storeroom), the Kindle is perfect for us, not just for the MANY books we'll now be buying electronically, but also for magazines and newspapers - NO MORE CLUTTER!

I was ready to order the K2, but our hobbies of camping and remote trips without power made the K1 a better choice, mainly to allow us to travel with extra batteries, but also for the extra SD card storage, for "His" and "Hers" selections! So, having waited too long to get a K1 from Amazon, I found a new-in-box, sealed K1 on eBay for a good price ... and it arrives tomorrow!

Having found kboards.com has been wonderful - so many helpful, enthusiastic and friendly people here online - I know it's going to be visited frequently! (My wife and I joked that the closest thing to the Kindle Kinship® here is that among Harley Davidson people that we ride with during the summers! Seriously!)

So, thanks in advance, and I look forward to getting to know many of you in the future!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Welcome to you r0b0d0c and the Mrs! I hope sharing a kindle works for you... I don't think I could share mine!!

I have a Harley, too... well, sort of!! I have a Lhasa Apso by the name of Harley Davidson... I figured that was as close as I would ever get to owning one!!  ;D

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Welcome. I predict another Kindle coming your way. You can put 2 Kindles on your account and share books that way as well. :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome, r0b0d0c ! Kindle Kinship®,I like it, didn't know it would already be coprighted. ;) Glad to have you with us.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Robodoc - so glad to have you here, but heed the advise - get another kindle!  Although if you work different shifts it might work for awhile.

Have not noticed too many from Minnesota here, you may be way special unique.

And welcome to the Mrs. as well, we got lots of nurses as well as nurse students.  This is a great group and if you have any questions ask and you will get an answer, maybe not the one you want or the right one but an answer nonetheless  ::)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the kind welcomes!

We got our first Kindle today, and ... OMG! I had underestimated the addictive nature of this little wonder! What an incredible easy-on-the-eyes screen, with quick page transitions, and an intuitive interface! Even the button placement (which I'd heard varying comments upon) is easy to use, and I have no issues with accidental button presses - maybe it's just the way I hold it?

The Kindle Store is amazing - it's Amazon's version of the iPhone's App Store, and will make this device a great success! Browsing is easy, sample chapter downloads are such a great idea, Amazon's suggested readings give limitless new possibilities, ... I could go on and on (and have, in telling friends and family about it today)! This was supposed to be an early birthday present to myself (April) - but I couldn't wait, and now I couldn't imagine NOT having it!

Mrs. r0b0d0c is already looking at adding a 2nd Kindle to our account (she likes the looks and features of K1, so maybe we'll have 2 of these!). With a 4GB SD card already installed (and 2 spare batteries on "backorder"...hope they start getting some in stock, as some reviewers placed their orders last November!) I'm busing browsing these kboards.com forums for new reading ideas!

The only problem I foresee: Buying/downloading is perhaps a little TOO easy, and I'll have to be careful to prevent my "passion" from turning into my "addiction!"

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Go to the Not Quite Kindle thread and check out the "coinstar" posts.  Also in the same posts you will find the idea of buying gift cards for Amazon and only buy what the gift card is for.  That is the only way you will be able to control your addiction - maybe.  We will find other ways for you to feed your addiction.  Luvmy4brats is great on accessories and suggestions  ;) so hopefully she will chime in here to help you  8)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DOH! Couldn't help it - just purchased a 2nd Kindle 1 for Mrs. r0b0d0c on eBay this morning, and now she's anxiously awaiting for hers to arrive by week's end! I just love my Kindle!

Now I wonder if my Mom would like one.....  :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Wooo Hooo! Somebody else from Minnesota!

Welcome!  There are a few of us now. 

Would you be willing to share where you do your doctoring at?  I have this urge to mention the medical people I know, but most are in the baby dept, not the ER.  What part of Mpls do you call home?  I'm up in the Northwest corner at Rogers. 

So glad you are enjoying the Kindle.  And Mrs Robo will love having her own; now she can dress it up in pretty skins and covers.

I'm off to shovel today's snow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts