Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite author of all time just released a new book several weeks ago, but it is not available as a kindle book from amazon. It is available as a e-book from Barnes and Noble. Is there any way to convert the book so I can read it on my kindle. I have gotten so used to my kindle, I really don't want to lug around a hardcover book. :'(

·
5,880 Posts
The only way you can get a non Amazon book onto your Kindle is to strip it of it's DRM security and if necessary convert it to a compatible file type. Discussions on how to strip DRM from ebooks is not allowed on Kindleboards so you'd have to research that part somewhere else.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Linjeakel said:
The only way you can get a non Amazon book onto your Kindle is to strip it of it's DRM security and if necessary convert it to a compatible file type. Discussions on how to strip DRM from ebooks is not allowed on Kindleboards so you'd have to research that part somewhere else.
Linjeakel is correct. You would have to strip out the DRM. That discussion is not permitted on Kindleboards, for many good reasons. It is not strictly legal, and I am willing to bet that that violates the user agreement that B&N makes you sign when using their bookstore and buying their books.

*some time later*

[quote author=Barnes & Noble Website]
In your use of your nook or the Service, you may not: (i) transfer the Digital Content from one electronic reading device to another without maintaining the applicable digital rights management solution for that Digital Content; (ii) infringe, violate, or interfere with any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity or any other right of any party;
[/quote]
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/legal/index.asp

This is from the user agreement posted on B&N's website, specifically section 3 (Prohibited Conduct). INAL, but cracking the DRM would likely violate this, which would make that illegal.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sorries, kinda not legal....

Not that that has ever stopped anyone before.

But in another universe (not necessarily this one) I would say screw it. If I bought the damn thing and so long as I don't post it somewhere for 200,000+ of my closest friends...... MINES to do with what I will.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Or if you can stand reading it on the computer (doesn't help with not having it on the Kindle of course) and just have to read it NOW rather than waiting until it's on Kindle, doesn't B&N have free reader software for the computer, like Kindle does?  Download the software, buy the ebook on B&N and d/l it into the software, and read it on the computer.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I know nook has e-reader software for Android, probably for iStuff as well. . . . . .

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I know nook has e-reader software for Android, probably for iStuff as well. . . . . .
I am reading a B&N book on one of my iStuffs right now. ;D

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Oh, is iStuff the preferred term over iThing now? :D

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Steph H said:
Oh, is iStuff the preferred term over iThing now? :D
They're interchangeable. . . .I like to switch it up, you know. . . .make sure people are paying attention.

Next, I think I'll use "iDoohicky" ;D

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
They're interchangeable. . . .I like to switch it up, you know. . . .make sure people are paying attention.

Next, I think I'll use "iDoohicky" ;D
I guess my iDevice is soooo last year. :'(

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
KayakerNC said:
I guess my iDevice is soooo last year. :'(
No. . . .but. . . .well. . . . .it sounds so formal. ::)

There's also iGadget. . . .iTool. . . . .iWhatzit. . . . .

Note, I do not suggest things like iCrap or iJunk. . . .'cause I have nothing against anything "i". . . . .I just like to use one word that encompasses all iterations. . . . . see, I could have said iIterations. . .but that's too hard to pronounce. ::) ;D

edit: AND it's just occurred to me that if you have the Apps on your iWhatever ::) you have an iNook or an iKindle. ;D

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:

Note, I do not suggest things like iCrap or iJunk. . . .'cause I have nothing against anything "i". . . . .I just like to use one word that encompasses all iterations. . . . . see, I could have said iIterations. . .but that's too hard to pronounce. ::) ;D

edit: AND it's just occurred to me that if you have the Apps on your iWhatever ::) you have an iNook or an iKindle. ;D
Oh my iGod (OMiG)! :D

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
see, I could have said iIterations. . .but that's too hard to pronounce. ::) ;D
iIts for short??

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:

I read on my iKindle on my iPad sometimes... ::)

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
See, I don't read the LOC ruling that DRM can be removed at will, I read it as it can be removed to improve accessibility, such as for the blind:

(6) Literary works distributed in ebook format when all existing ebook editions of the work (including digital text editions made available by authorized entities) contain access controls that prevent the enabling either of the book's read-aloud function or of screen readers that render the text into a specialized format.

Not just because one doesn't want to have to buy a different format...

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I agree with that reading, Betsy.

But, be that as it may:  when you buy an e-reader you agree to the terms of service at the time of purchase.  Just 'cause you don't think you'll get caught, or because you think the law has changed, doesn't mean they don't apply.  You agreed to 'em; you're on your honor to abide by them to the best of your ability.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
DavidSherwood said:
Amazon has a similar restriction on the use of the Kindle that B&N has for the Nook. But now that removing DRM is legal in the US (see http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/Librarian-of-Congress-1201-Statement.html) does this make those parts of the contract null and void?
Sorry, but that ruling does not give one carte blanche permission to strip DRM.
It ONLY allows for it if certain very very specific conditions are met. The most onerous of those conditions is that EVERY SINGLE ELECTRONIC edition of the work must contain DRM -- if there exists any single edition, no matter how obscure, that does not contain DRM then the exclusion is not valid.
It does not address whether or not those obscure, non protected editions even need to be publicly available.
To keep touting this ruling as the panacea for stripping DRM is, in my opinion, a myopic view of what this ruling actually allows.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I have never needed to strip DRM, all the books I have wanted have been on Amazon or out of copyright protection and free in many formats, so I have not faced that dilemma. Plenty of folks then that it is fine as long as they only use the ebook on their device and they don't make it available for everyone to use for free or a price. Plenty of folks think that it is illegal. Good arguments are made on both sides.

There are ways to put a Nook book on a Kindle and vice versa. A google search will help you find out how to do it if you decide it is right for you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts