Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are a fan of Nora Roberts' books, she has 4 more of them that have been made into movies for tv. They will be showing on the Lifetime channel in March/April.

Northern Lights - 3/21
Midnight Bayou - 3/28
High Noon - 4/4
Tribute - 4/11

Unfortunately, none of these books are extremely cheap now but I still may pick them up to read them before the movies come out. I saw a couple of her previous movies after I read the books and I really enjoyed them.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
KindleGirl said:
If you are a fan of Nora Roberts' books, she has 4 more of them that have been made into movies for tv. They will be showing on the Lifetime channel in March/April.

Northern Lights - 3/21
Midnight Bayou - 3/28
High Noon - 4/4
Tribute - 4/11

Unfortunately, none of these books are extremely cheap now but I still may pick them up to read them before the movies come out. I saw a couple of her previous movies after I read the books and I really enjoyed them.
Northern Lights is my favorite NR stand-alone book. It's the only book where I turned the last page and went straight back to the beginning and read it all over again. That one and Homeport were the first two NR's I replaced on my K. Took me a while to let go of the DTVs.

I'll be setting my recorder for this one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice. Northern Lights is one of my all-time favorite books, and hopefully this will inspire me to move High Noon and Tribute higher on my to-be-read list. Too bad Midnight Bayou was one of the few books by Nora that I absolutely hated.

For those of you who miss them on Lifetime, they should be out on DVD a few months later. And then on sale for really cheap a few months after that, if they follow the pattern of the previous four.

Which reminds me, I need to go buy the last 4 on DVD for my mom.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
meglet said:
Nice. Northern Lights is one of my all-time favorite books, and hopefully this will inspire me to move High Noon and Tribute higher on my to-be-read list. Too bad Midnight Bayou was one of the few books by Nora that I absolutely hated.
Midnight Bayou was definitely not one of my favorites, except when they realized that he was walking like a pregnant woman. That was funny.

For those of you who miss them on Lifetime, they should be out on DVD a few months later. And then on sale for really cheap a few months after that, if they follow the pattern of the previous four.
Thanks for that info. I think I'll tape it anyway, and then if it's really good, I'll watch for the DVD.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
meglet said:
Which reminds me, I need to go buy the last 4 on DVD for my mom.
There were four other Nora movies on Lifetime already?

What were they, and where can I buy them?

·
Registered
378 Posts
CS said:
There were four other Nora movies on Lifetime already?

What were they, and where can I buy them?
Montana Sky
http://www.amazon.com/Montana-Sky-Ashley-Williams/dp/B000R7G9D8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1235718047&sr=1-1

Angel's Fall
http://www.amazon.com/Angels-Fall-Heather-Locklear/dp/B00000F4F3/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_b

Carolina Moon
http://www.amazon.com/Carolina-Moon-Claire-Forlani/dp/B000S1KUMO/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_c

Blue Smoke
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Smoke-Alicia-Witt/dp/B000S1KUME/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_b

They are often available in a buy 1 get 1 free sale, or the frequent TV on DVD sales.

The other reason to wait for DVD is that Lifetime does not necessarily broadcast in widescreen, but the movies are filmed in widescreen and released on DVD in widescreen. Just in case anyone cares.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Have they been reasonable true to the books?  Why am I even asking.  I just checked IMDB to see who they cast and they have even changed the names of the characters. 

Charlene Galligan
Nate Burns
Meg Galligan

Eddie Cibrian looks good for Chief Burke. 

I'll cross my fingers and give it a try.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear that Northern Lights was a good book! I was planning on buying that to read before the movie but wasn't sure. Now it looks like I should do that.

Sad to hear Midnight Bayou was not good....but now I won't spend the money to read it. I'll just watch the movie.

I bought Tribute back a few months ago for $3 or $4, so I guess I'm all set on that one. I haven't read it yet, but now that will push it to the front. Anyone read this one yet?  How is it?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
KindleGirl said:
Glad to hear that Northern Lights was a good book! I was planning on buying that to read before the movie but wasn't sure. Now it looks like I should do that.
At least if you read it before, you'll know the right names for the characters. According to IMDB, they've also added someone who will be playing himself. No idea who this guy is or why he would be in the movie.

If you like Ripley (I did) in Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island Trilogy), you'll like Meg.

I bought Tribute back a few months ago for $3 or $4, so I guess I'm all set on that one. I haven't read it yet, but now that will push it to the front. Anyone read this one yet? How is it?
I didn't get that one because I didn't hear anything good about it.

I absolutely love some of NR's books and some I just shake my head and put them straight into the Goodwill box. She's hit or miss with me.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
meglet said:
They are often available in a buy 1 get 1 free sale, or the frequent TV on DVD sales.

The other reason to wait for DVD is that Lifetime does not necessarily broadcast in widescreen, but the movies are filmed in widescreen and released on DVD in widescreen. Just in case anyone cares.
Thanks, Meglet.

KindleGirl said:
Sad to hear Midnight Bayou was not good....but now I won't spend the money to read it. I'll just watch the movie.
Whoever told you that is quite mistaken IMO. It's one of Nora's best books, if you ask me.

I bought Tribute back a few months ago for $3 or $4, so I guess I'm all set on that one. I haven't read it yet, but now that will push it to the front. Anyone read this one yet? How is it?
I remember enjoying it.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
CS said:
Whoever told you that is quite mistaken IMO. It's one of Nora's best books, if you ask me.
Neither Meglet nor I liked Midnight Bayou. YMMV, right? ;) That's why sampling is such a great feature of the K. It gives everyone a chance to make up their own minds.

I would love to see a movie made of Homeport. It's neck-and-neck for my favorite with Northern Lights.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Neither Meglet nor I liked Midnight Bayou. YMMV, right? ;) That's why sampling is such a great feature of the K. It gives everyone a chance to make up their own minds.
Agreed!!! That's what I love about the Kindle!

May I ask: How come you and Meglet didn't enjoy Midnight Bayou? I personally found it extraordinary that Nora could craft such a well-told, spooky horror tale. Are you two just not fans of the genre?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
CS said:

May I ask: How come you and Meglet didn't enjoy Midnight Bayou? I personally found it extraordinary that Nora could craft such a well-told, spooky horror tale. Are you two just not fans of the genre?
For myself, yes, I'm not a fan of spooky horror. It takes away from the story and the writing for me. Sort of read the Circle trilogy, but that one didn't work for me either.

I do like NR's fantasy books; The Key trilogy and Three Sisters Island trilogy (although the "demon" was rather generic).

Did not like the In the Garden trilogy. Too similar to Midnight Bayou and stretched out over three books.

Authors like Barbara Cartland, who wrote a book a month, used the same boilerplate for each story. NR may use similar characters, but she always gives them a little twist. Her storylines are different and she seems to switch easily between genres. Not to mention I love her humor. Basically, there is a Nora Roberts book for most tastes.

·
Registered
378 Posts
CS said:

I'm not a fan of spooky horror, and I seem to remember that this book just seemed weird to me, also. And less of a romance than Nora's usual. It's been a few years since I read it, so I don't really remember what I didn't like, other than forcing myself to finish the book, and putting it down with an "ick" and having no desire to read it again.

Unlike gertiekindle, though, I did really enjoy the In the Garden trilogy. Haven't gotten around to reading the Key and Three Sisters trilogies, they're nowhere near the top of the pile becausye I have other books that sound more interesting right now.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
meglet said:
Haven't gotten around to reading the Key and Three Sisters trilogies, they're nowhere near the top of the pile becausye I have other books that sound more interesting right now.
I have to read one of NR's in between the more serious books to give myself a break. Of course, if I need a huge break, I read a Stephanie Plum.

Reading Northern Lights right now for probably the tenth time. ;D

·
Registered
378 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I have to read one of NR's in between the more serious books to give myself a break. Of course, if I need a huge break, I read a Stephanie Plum.

Reading Northern Lights right now for probably the tenth time. ;D
NR's ARE the serious books in my library. :) Ok, not really, since I do read a fair bit of true crime and mystery, not to mention too many tech manuals. But when I read, it's for entertainment, so most of my books are pretty light.

I still remember the first time I read Northern Lights, took the hardback with me on a flight from Seattle back to New York. I only got about 2/3 through it, and spent the next two nights finishing it instead of visiting with the friend I was traveling with. It's stayed on my favorites list ever since.

I'm currently re-reading Angels Fall, simply because I happened to open the sample I sent to my Kindle as a reminder to buy it later, then got sucked in by the end of the first chapter.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I've just finished watching the Lifetime movie version of Nora Roberts' Northern Lights. I have no idea how faithful it is to the book (I have the DTB laying around somewhere, but I haven't read it yet). I absolutely loved the movie though. Just a lot of fun.

Can't wait for Midnight Bayou next week. I know that book has gotten mixed reviews around these parts, but it's one of my favorite Noras, and they actually sprung for some decent name actors (Jerry O'Connell and Faye Dunaway). Should be a good time.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
CS said:
I've just finished watching the Lifetime movie version of Nora Roberts' Northern Lights. I have no idea how faithful it is to the book (I have the DTB laying around somewhere, but I haven't read it yet). I absolutely loved the movie though. Just a lot of fun.
Glad you bumped this up, CS. I was going to search for it.

I was sort of watching the all day Nora-thon, and was quite disappointed. They made everything into a soap opera, and I didn't like the quality of the film itself. I was prepared to be disappointed.

Not so. Northern Lights wasn't too bad. I still don't understand why they had to change the names. They even changed the name of the dog that was murdered (Yukon) and never explained why he was killed.

Hopp was absolutely perfect. The rest of the characters didn't quite come off, but they weren't totally wrong. Nate needed to be more depressed in the beginning and Meg needed to be more ... brazen is the only word I can think of, or maybe just tougher and more self-centered. Actually, she's all of those things.

The one bad scene was when the boys were lost on the mountain and Meg gave Nate a hard time about going up to find them. When you read the book (and you absolutely should), you'll see that's not her style at all.

I think the screenwriter did a decent job of adapting the book. Of course, the book is much meatier and there is character development which they couldn't include in the movie, but I was pleasantly surprised overall.

If you thought the movie was fun, you'll love the book. But then, you know NR's sense of humor.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I for one like the books much better than the movie versions. (yes, my wife hooked me on JD Robb, then Nora Roberts)

1 - 20 of 98 Posts