Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, the screensaver hack works great. That's not the problem. I have 10 screensaver jpeg's - all greyscale, 600x800, on the Kindle. Only 4 will display. The other 6 just display as a blank page when the Kindle goes in to sleep. I've double-checked my files in Photoshop.  Look okay to me. Even went to Fireworks and resaved those 6 as .png files. Still don't show up. Is there a kb file size limit? They not over 195kb. These were some screensavers other members put on the board, so it must be working for them.

Anybody have a suggestion?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I got them all working now. I guess what I didn't know is when you add more jpg's to the screensaver folder on the Kindle, you have to do a reboot again. So I did that, and now the new pictures display too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Or if you replace or delete images -- when you do a restart, the Kindle scans the directory the screensaver images are in (either the default directory or the one the hack repoints it to) and makes an array of file names, then tucks that in static memory; when you turn your Kindle off, it just looks at the next entry in the array and tries to read that filename; if the filename is missing, the 'screensaver' is blank, and if it hits the end, it wraps around, ignoring any additional images that may be in the directory but not in its array.

I've kicked myself both times I had a blank screensaver image come up, when I've swapped out a file and not done a reset to make the Kindle identify the new image.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
back2nature said:
Well, I got them all working now. I guess what I didn't know is when you add more jpg's to the screensaver folder on the Kindle, you have to do a reboot again. So I did that, and now the new pictures display too.
Ah, you are right. I had one that wouldn't show, and once I rebooted it was good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts