Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've filled my Kindle with books, I'm finding that I don't finish a lot of books now.  When everything is a click away it feels harder than ever to finish anything I don't absolutely love. 

And I'm pretty much doing the same thing with Netflix streaming.  I don't finish a lot of movies now.  That never used to happen.

When you don't have to go out to the library or the bookstore or blockbuster it really kind of changes things.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Do you think it's bad?

·
Super Moderator
67,441 Posts
I guess I'm electing not to finish somewhat more than I used to with only paper.  . . but not by much.  You're right though. . .with 900 options at your fingertips a book has to keep working so it will drown out all the other titles calling me. . . .and that doesn't even count the other million available if I turn on wireless. . . . .

The other thing that's true is that I didn't used to plunk down my hard earned cash for a book I wasn't sure I would like -- 'cause that was usually at least $7 or $8.  But I admit to risking a buck or two on books that I'm not completely sure of -- picked up several during Amazons "sunshine sale" and "big deal" this summer.  Happily, they've mostly been totally worth it. . .and frequently introduce me to a new author or series that just hadn't crossed my path before. 

I also think that the longer you own the Kindle, the better you get at using samples and reviews and recommendations from folks here and elsewhere to pick books you really will enjoy and you'll find that the "klunker ratio" gets smaller and smaller. . . . . .

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I can't really say that I read or watch any different with the new mediums. Not really. I read more now that I can actually read the darn print  :D and I watch less because I read so much.  ;D

But I still finish what I read or watch at the same rate then the "old" way. I actually do more vetting now with books especially now that its easier with all the sites out there. And doing that, I make sure that before a sample even gets on my Kindle, chances are, I will like it. Lowers the probability of failure.

I do have to say that my Bucket list (to be read) pile is much larger now in digital  :D

·
Super Moderator
67,441 Posts
Atunah said:
I read more now that I can actually read the darn print :D
I agree that I'm probably reading more now -- but that's really just a feeling I have because I never have counted.

I've never been into movies much. . .if they happen to be on TV I'll watch them. . . If I happen to see notice of something coming I think I'd like to watch I'll set it to record. But we've never been the 'gotta have it on DVD' or 'gotta rent it when it comes out on DVD' sort. As such there are a lot of movies I've never seen. And probably never will.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Neither have effected me.  I've finished every book I've started on my Kindle, and very seldomly don't finish a movie.

I'm a pretty good judge of my own tastes so it's rare that I start something I don't like. Free time is precious so I don't take a lot of chances on movies or books I'm not pretty confident I'm going to enjoy.

As for movies vs. books...I love to read, but movies have long been my number 1 hobby.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't watch much TV or NetFlix.

With my Kindle, I find myself sometimes struggling over which book to start next.  Do I want a sci-fi story, some fantasy, a true-crime novel, some historical fiction, a Christian study, etc.  Once I get into a book though, I rarely quit reading it unless the story is just awful or something.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I havent had my K that long yet, but I already created a collection called "Limbo" because I predict that I will start some and then put them down*.

Mostly because before I purchased books pretty carefully, thoughtfully....and 9 times out of 10 (or more) I finished them.

With the access to cheaper ($2.99 and less) e-books out there, I know that I am going to run into quality issues. And so some will just get back-burnered or dropped altogether.

As for any movies at home...if it doesnt really grab me, I'll fall asleep during it or...pick up a book! Now, I may pick up my Kindle!

*Heh, 'put them down;' they're e-books, cant 'put them down.' One click and they're 'down', closed, fini. Ah, times they are a-changin'....but the lingo lives on.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I noticed this happening with me and my husband, too, on both counts. I really think it's just because we have more items in the TBR pile/movie queue, though. We're trying things we otherwise never would have touched (i.e. never would have paid good money if we weren't pretty darn sure it would be worth it), and while many of them are the stinkers we expect, some are pleasant surprises. I don't think it's a bad thing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No, I still finish just about every book or movie I start. However, I have cut way back on my movie watching in favor of reading since I got my K3 last December. It's gotten to the point that I finally canceled my Netflix membership last month because the movies were just sitting around unopened for weeks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can count on one hand the number of books I haven't finished once I start them. That's probably because I'm very specific about the type of books I take time out of my writing to read. Movies, though, are a little different. If I'm not getting what I expected from a movie or I'm not at least mildly entertained, I don't feel bad at all about turning it off and finding something else. I use Netflix also, by the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do notice that I'm doing the same thing, both with books and movies.  BUT I'm reading and watching more than I ever did before.  I'm taking chances on things more often than I did, and thus finding genres and stories and movies I might not have tried in the past.  It's easy to try something that might or might not work for me...and it doesn't cost much.  I used to haunt the 99cent racks at the video store sometimes, choosing odd things I'd never heard of and taking home two or three, just in case I didn't like the first one. 

So, yes, I'm leaving more books and movies unfinished, but I'm also reading and watching MORE, and enjoying all of it a LOT more.  I'd like to see the recommendation lists on amazon come as close to my tastes as Netflix does. They're good, but not as good, IMO. 

Barbara

·
Registered
50 Posts
Being able to make TBR and TBW lists are one of the best thing that has ever happened to me.
I used to have word Documents of books I wanted to read, movies I wanted to watch, songs I wanted to download...

now I don't need those lists, I can just queue them up. As for not finishing... well movies I always finish if I start, but I am not that picky when it comes to movies. with the big choice of books I have, I have found myself only starting some, and not continuing with the intentions of continuing some other time. But only time will tell :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I must admit... I've become a Kindle 'sample junky' since we can download the beginning of each book we consider. Yes, I purchase from these samples but there's so many extras that I've created a sample collection. When I do purchase I always finish the whole story.

Netflix was just canceled at our house. Guess that means I have more time for reading. lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
I always used to try and finish every book i read, but now i seem to read maybe a hundred pages and if i'm not enjoying it or really not getting anything out of it, then i leave it. There are so many good books out there and so much to choose from and so little time!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, I definitely do this too. But I don't think it's bad. Reading, movie watching.. These things are supposed to be enjoyable hobbies. Why force yourself through something you don't like? :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
BarbaraSamuel said:
I'm taking chances on things more often than I did, and thus finding genres and stories and movies I might not have tried in the past.
This is exactly what happened to me. Like other readers commenting here, I know my tastes and can easily pick out a book I'm sure to like. But with the ease of options available now, it's fun to go exploring and see what I can find. Yes, I hit duds and don't finish them, but I've discovered plenty of new authors who are talented, exciting, and (IMO) undervaluing themselves at $.99. I want to support those authors and would gladly pay $5 for one of their books. So, though I do put down more books unfinished than before, it's part of the discovery process and well worth it, to me.

G

·
I generally will finish any movie I start, but not so with books. I get distracted and turn to something else even if I currently enjoy the book I'm reading. Having so many books available is hard to say no to. Suddenly my ADD kicks in and I'm off to the next! I frustrate myself.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I also think that the longer you own the Kindle, the better you get at using samples and reviews and recommendations from folks here and elsewhere to pick books you really will enjoy and you'll find that the "klunker ratio" gets smaller and smaller. . . . . .
Amen to that, I agree.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
I too find I'm finishing fewer movies than before now that I have NetFlix. That hasn't transferred to my reading yet though. I'm still as likely to finish an ebook as a print book because I still have that feeling if I don't finish it I've wasted the time I've already invested. The principle should be the same with movies but I guess I just don't love those as much as I do books.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts