Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi--new here.  I spent several hours reading various posts before joining and while an excellent source of information and idea-sharing, I don't get all the talk about covers.  Some sort of compulsion perhaps?  Hmm???  :p

I've had my Kindle about a year and it didn't take long before I ditched the cover that came with it, but when I take it anywhere, I just throw it into my purse or suitcase or whatever I'm taking with me. 

Someone enlighten a newbie.  :)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Personal preference.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Welcome, BlueNorma!

Congratulations on your Kindle and on your first post!  Welcome to Kindleboards!

I like the cover to protect the screen when I'm jamming it into my purse.  Plus they're pretty!  (Stroking the cover compulsively as I type one handed).  As drenee said, personal preference!

Kindleboards has something for everyone, tips, tricks, free books, and accessories!  A virtual smorgasbord!  Take what you want!  AND we have book klubs starting tomorrow!  Check out the Book Corner!

;D

Betsy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome.  It has never occurred to me to try to protect my Kindle.  It's pretty sturdy and I've taken it all over the country--coverless.  :eek:  Amazon should hire me for demonstrations on "Kindle Tough" or some such nonsense.  (They could pay me in books.  8)

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
You could be a worldwide emissary for Amazon, that would be too cool!

How long have you had your Kindle?

I worry about the screen; I carry pens, keys, scissors (I'm a quilter) and all kinds of other hard objects in my purse.  But it's good to know that it's tough...  Good for our members to know!

And covers are pretty!  Love my leather Oberon!

Betsy

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I felt the same way about covers at first.  I liked the one that came with the kindle just fine...until...........I saw the Oberon Covers?  It is a must half if you own a kindle!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's been right at a year...my husband ordered it in November 2007.  That cover it comes with is asinine, so I scrapped it.  Who thought that was a good idea?

But yeah, I just throw it in the bag with no thought of anything else that's in there.  The screen is A LOT tougher than the screens on my other gadgets.  Man...the one on my Palm is completely worthless, didn't last a year--and you're actually supposed to write on that one!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I use my cover, mostly for holding when reading and cover it so it doesn't accidental go out of sleep mode. Somehow I can manage to get buttons pushed without even touching an item.  Also I have a skin on mine. Since the kindle is white, I want to keep it nice and clean so I put on a skin  ;D ;D.  Drives me crazy that my ipod and phone get dirty...Ya I know...and I iron my jeans too! ::) :eek: ;D

theresam

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
BlueNorma said:
Some sort of compulsion perhaps?
Compulsion. Obsession. Yea, something like that.

My teenager daughter is too old for me to dress her up, so I dress up Anabel (my kindle). She also has a brand new skin.

I've owned enough Palms, smartphones, iPods, etc. whose screens and bodies get scratched up by tossing it into my purse that I like to know Anabel has the extra protection. I'm just fussy (and maybe paranoid) and like to keep my electronics in pristine condition. In a cover I know that the keys wont scratch it and the cat can safely walk across it.

Plus, it's just pretty :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I just put on my first one, so I don't know a lot about them.  I believe it's a one time use thing.  Others will probably tell you more.  Kind of like my coat, it changes with the seasons.  Anabel might get a new skin after a few months.

If you order a skin from decalgirl, there is a code you can use to get a discount:  PSPHOME

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Between me and my husband, there are at least ten devices in this house that appear on Decal Girl's list.  I could go broke skinning everything.  ::)

I wonder if I can special order skins for the cats...

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Some have reused their skins by saving the paper they came on, removing the skin carefully from the Kindle and then putting back on the paper.

Others can't be bothered, just replace the skin.

Personal preference.

Plus, they're pretty. ::) Many of them, hard to pick just one! Mine went well with my initial covered cover, but now that I have the Oberon Tree of Life, I want a different one.

BlueNorma said:
Between me and my husband, there are at least ten devices in this house that appear on Decal Girl's list. I could go broke skinning everything. ::)

I wonder if I can special order skins for the cats...
I want pictures! There's more than one way to skin a cat, LOL!

BTW, if you buy over $30 worth of skins at one time there's a free shipping code on the website, it worked out to be more than the PSPHOME discount for me; if you've got that many devices, it might be worth considering.)

Betsy

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Here is a copy of a post I made over on Amazon about this:

"I put an Oberon Design cover on my Christmas wish list because I wanted a cover that would last, would protect my Kindle better, was made in the US and was at least okay to look at. The Oberon cover fits the bill beautifully.

The Oberon Designs leather is not going to wear out (my original cover already has spots wearing through the leather-like top layer and bald spots on the gray interior), is slightly larger all the way around giving an extra bit of protection to my Kindle's edges, holds the Kindle secure through any type of shaking, was handmade in California (it got here in one day!), the quality of construction is the best I have ever seen (including StrangeDog, although his quality of construction is above all others), and it's beautiful. Also it slips into my purse just a tad easier than the original (OEM) cover because the spine isn't as wide.

The only thing I could add is a mechanism for holding the cover in the folded back position. Currently I twist the button loop, then loop it back over the button. A little clumsy, but it works for me."

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I'll point out that BlueNorma's question was about using any cover at all.  She's had hers for a year, uncovered, and says the screen is very tough compared to other devices she's had.  Good news for all of us (but I still love my Oberon cover!)

Betsy

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It is great to hear how durable it is.  Yesterday my teenager (the one who took it to work today, see my anxiety in another thread) saw my new screen saver.  Not realizing it was a screen saver, she starting scratching at the screen to take it off.  I nearly had a heart attack.  But there was no damage.  Anabel K still looks brand new

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
well you all know how I feel about a naked kindle.. LOL

I was suprised though when I took it out of its case to add the skins how light it felt.. LOL.. but it needed clothes.. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts