Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still want a kindle...and will be ordering in the next week or so...BUT, for those who are interested in a sony PRS-505 - Borders is running a promo till the 14th for $199....it was a bit tempting at first, but honestly, i have been following the Kindle for so long now, the temptation only lasted a few minutes....still want my kindle.

Waiting to get paid from a side project - hopefullly some point this week, and will order myself a K2 - was my bday on sunday, and I just started a new job 6 weeks ago - for BOTH i told myself my gift to myself would be a kindle, and never actually went through with it  (wife doesnt REALLY think it is worth it).....she finally agreed i can order it though :)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
K blows S away.  My cousin got S for Christmas; we compared notes...she loved my K so much; she returned her S and got the K. 

Whispernet is a wonderful thing.  She hated having to hook up every time she wanted to download.  With the K; no problem can download from a boat in the middle of the ocean...as long as you have a bit of signal.

No contest for me...K all the way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well like i said, I definitely plan on a K2 - I just thought others who are interested in the Sony and are comparing might be interested to see that this is available and on sale.

I am absolutely in love with the idea of having a kindle....i dont read enough that i am really a heavy reader - probably a half hour to an hour a day...depending on how "into" my book i am...so maybe 2-3 books a month....so my wife has had a hard time with me justifying it until i get paid for this side job....but now that it looks like i am getting paid, cha-ching...kindle here i come.  she actually told me tonight "why dont you order the kindle anyways since you know you are getting paid really soon" :) - tempting not to, but just started a new book that will take me a good week to finish....so will probably read like crazy this week/weekend to get through it and then order as i have only a few hundred pages left, opting for 2 day shipping :p

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Order now...lol.  You won't be sorry. 

(Don't forget to try it out in the sun to make sure you don't have the fading text issue--if so, return for replacement...don't let it hinder you.)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Welcome to to the boards.  So happy for you that you're getting a K2.  2 to 3 books a month is enough to justify the purchase.  And you may find that you read more once you do get it. 
As far as odering or waiting till you finish a book, I would say wait only because it's going to be difficult to pick that book back up.  I'm speaking from experience here.
Looking forward to more of your posts.
deb

·
Registered
428 Posts
k_reader said:
why don't you order now, go with Super Saver, then it will arrive when you want and you save some $$$.!
Yes, than you can spend that same money on books!! Its a great idea k_reader

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
mominsky said:
Ok...if you insist....just ordered...did 2 day shipping...guaranteed I will have it friday ! So excited :)
Congratulations! Welcome to KindleWatch!

L

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks - i cant wait to get it - but all my reading will be focused on the 500 more pages i have to go in the DTB i am currently reading...it NEEDS to be done by friday when i get the Kindle - cause then i will be ordering the next in the series i am reading, and will probably spend all weekend nice and quiet reading :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
I saw that Borders sale too. But after owning a Kindle I would never want to give up the ability to not only download from most places, I also wouldn't want to give up being able to download samples to check out the book before paying for it.

Let us know what you think of your K2 when it arrives. Congratulation on buying so quickly :)

We all love being enablers and getting you to take the plunge!

By the way, have you picked out a cover  ;D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no cover as of yet....i had the regular amazon cover in my cart, but figured i would sit on it a little while - they alll have the free shipping since they are over $25, so it wouldnt save me anything to order it together with the kindle, so i figured i will wait and see if i really neeed one or not.

I am not one to get covers for devices, and probably wont move the kindle much from the nightstand...where i do most of my reading. However, hopefully with the kindle i start reading a lot more, which will then enable me to bring it places - so if that happens, i will definitely get a cover.  i really liked the idea of the m-edge one that you can fold over into a stand, but i dont know if i would actually USE that feature or not....so i dunno...time will tell.

got the email from amazon a few min ago saying it shipped...reading like CRAZY - but the book i am reading has such small font, i have been reading for probably 2 hours and maybe only gotten 100 pages or so....i gotta get another 350 or so to finish the book by tomorrow night!

luckily for me i work from home on fridays so i will be here when my new toy arrives - and i will probably stop all work at that point and focus on mr kindle :)

A

·
0 Posts
mominsky said:
no cover as of yet....i had the regular amazon cover in my cart, but figured i would sit on it a little while - they alll have the free shipping since they are over $25, so it wouldnt save me anything to order it together with the kindle, so i figured i will wait and see if i really neeed one or not.

I am not one to get covers for devices, and probably wont move the kindle much from the nightstand...where i do most of my reading. However, hopefully with the kindle i start reading a lot more, which will then enable me to bring it places - so if that happens, i will definitely get a cover. i really liked the idea of the m-edge one that you can fold over into a stand, but i dont know if i would actually USE that feature or not....so i dunno...time will tell.
Buy a cover. Seriously. One accidental fall from your nightstand is all it takes to break the screen. Others have had it happen to them. A $350 device needs and deserves protection. It's just not worth the risk, IMHO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NYCKindleFan said:
Buy a cover. Seriously. One accidental fall from your nightstand is all it takes to break the screen. Others have had it happen to them. A $350 device needs and deserves protection. It's just not worth the risk, IMHO.
while i dont disagree that a $30-$40 investmment to keep a $360 investment safe is worth it, part of the reason i want the kindle is because it is so thin and light - adding a case to it really kinda ruins that....i will probably end up with a sleeve of some sort for it, and simply store it in the sleeve when not reading....but i really dont know....once i get the device and get to hold it in my hands, i should be able to easily decide whether i want one or not.

·
Registered
320 Posts
sjc said:
K blows S away. My cousin got S for Christmas; we compared notes...she loved my K so much; she returned her S and got the K.

Whispernet is a wonderful thing. She hated having to hook up every time she wanted to download. With the K; no problem can download from a boat in the middle of the ocean...as long as you have a bit of signal.

No contest for me...K all the way.
You have to hook up to download? that would be enough for me to get a kindle any day over sony!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Eh my k1 has seen the cover exactly 2x in the year since I bought it. Both times where when I was taking it out of the house. It still looks and works exactly like new. I tried it in the cover for like 5 seconds when I first got it and couldn't stand reading with the cover on.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Mominsky -- congrats!  I really thought you would hold out a little longer than you did.  ;)  You are going to love your Kindle.  Bet it does stay on the nightstand long. . . then come back and we'll gladly lead you down the path of temptation.  :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts