Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Katherine Owen and I'm the author of Not To Us which is the story of Ellen Kay "Ellie" Bradford--a successful editor, a doting mother, and a loving wife--she discovers her perfect world has been rocked by her best friend, Carrie, who is having an affair with Ellie's husband, Robert. Since college, it's been the two couples: Robert and Ellie; and, Michael and Carrie. Ellie's world unravels even further when she learns she has breast cancer from Michael, the brilliant surgeon, who is determined to save her. With an unexpected pregnancy further complicating Ellie's cancer treatment, Michael and Ellie soon marry, intent on building a perfect life together with their blended families, but soon, their intense bond is tested like never before. Not To Us is an insightful look into one woman's personal journey in discovering the only way to keep her one and only wish is to trust the ones that count, beginning with herself.

Greatest compliment from a reader: "Once I started it; I couldn't put it down!"

Not To Us: 366 pages; book club Q & A at the end; category: Women's Contemporary Fiction

Available as a kindle book at $4.99 or print version at $15.99 (under books by Katherine Owen) at Amazon.com:

http://amzn.to/jCq4J6 Kindle
http://amzn.to/iu5X4c Print Trade Paperback

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, Katherine, and congratulations on your book!

(If you've gotten this welcome before, it's just as a matter of housekeeping. We like to put a copy of the "welcome letter" in each book thread. It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, it just helps us know that you know the rules.)

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tagline:  Ellie's perfect world unravels, but she soon learns she can't outrun heartbreak and revealing her secrets is the only way to keep her one and only wish.

Not To Us on sale at Amazon for $2.99.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been a great week for Not To Us. There's a 5-star review at Amazon and a reading site that's been awfully "good" to me via the giveaway I did in June. Check it out.

I did a Kindle Author interview that you might find of interest for my other book, Seeing Julia. That's here: http://kindle-author.blogspot.com/2011/07/kindle-author-interview-katherine-owen.html

If you are a fan of my work, thank you for that!!

Katherine Owen

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not To Us continues to surprise me as readers discover it and love it.

Here's a little tidbit from Ellie from Chapter 1:

"That’s when I consider that change—change, its inevitability—is coming. And, I can’t stop it. Then, the incredulity comes again. Is this really happening to me? Yes. Incredulity arrives unannounced and jump-starts my failing broken self."

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new Search Inside/Look Inside feature for Kindle books on Amazon is great! Are your curious to learn more about my writing style? Amazon just made it even easier to check it out on both the Kindle as well as the print version of Not To Us. If you've been unsure if this women's fiction book is for you, Amazon has made it even easier to check it out with a single click on the Look Inside directive at the top edge of the book cover.

Not To Us is the story of Ellie whose perfect life is quickly unraveling with the betrayal of her best friend, the disintegration of her marriage, and a diagnosis of breast cancer. Yet, all of these unsettling events lead her to Michael, but just when things seem to be turning out for the better, Ellie and Michael's intense bond is tested like never before. Not To Us is an insightful look at one woman's personal journey in discovering who she is and what she really wants by learning to trust the only ones that count.

Check it out!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not To Us continues to surprise both me and readers. Here's a few new comments about the book:

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, August 28, 2011
By ADC-RN - See all my reviews
This review is from: Not To Us (Kindle Edition)
I got started on this book and couldn't put it down. I had to keep reading to see what could happen next. Sometimes a little overwhelming that this could happen to one person. Ellie is one strong person. This one stays with you. I received a free copy of this book for my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars BookRooster Review, August 21, 2011
By Marta Hartman - See all my reviews
Strong characterizations and intriguing plot lines kept me riveted to this novel. The storyline of couples facing midlife crisis that tears them apart and still brings them together is very moving. While her life falls apart around her, Ellie discovers the true direction of her life. I received this book as a free copy from BookRooster. This novel is a great beach read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bookrooster review, August 20, 2011
By pj "pj" (IN, USA) - See all my reviews
I received a free copy of this book to review and I have to say I loved it. It is the story of how a woman's life falls apart from one day to the next and how she keeps it together. Or not. It brought tears to my eyes more that once but also made me laugh a few times. The only bad thing I can say about it is there were many errors/misuses in wording and punctuation throughout the book that made me have to reread to try to figure out what is trying to be said. I'm not sure if that is because I read a kindle version or not, but it should have been proofreader better.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As posted on the Indie Romance thread, I've been busy writing my third novel, When I See You. It is scheduled to release in early November 2011.

Not To Us is in the contemporary women's fiction category with twists and turns that keep readers on edge with the story which delves into the dynamics of relationships. Not To Us explores the nuance of best friends and betrayal, infidelity, starting over, and what happens when life circumstances confront us when people are in the mindset of "not to us".

Here's an excerpt from Chapter 1 of Not To Us:

Chapter 1 ~ Surreal Things

There are all kinds of ways for a relationship to be tested, even broken, some, irrevocably; it's the endings we're unprepared for. My life has become a roller coaster ride mixed with equal amounts of pure joy and exposed fear; and, sometimes, this unfathomable incredulity. This arrives in spurts, like adrenalin or injected heroin; well, how I imagine injected heroin would feel. That's when I consider that change-change, its inevitability-is coming. And, I can't stop it. Then, the incredulity comes again. Is this really happening to me? Yes. Incredulity arrives unannounced and jump-starts my failing broken self.

Up until now, I've had the audacity to consider my life perfection. I married my college sweetheart, Bobby Bradford. I've borne three gorgeous kids with him. I live in a grand house on Bainbridge Island and indulge in an editorial career for a successful New York publisher. Respected, beloved, that's me. Everything in my life rang true and perfect, until the day at the Four Seasons, three weeks ago. After that day, I look at what I once thought of as my perfect life and discover the foundation is literally breaking down, disintegrating all around me with each passing day.

I'm watching the B-action movie of my life. I'm the damsel in distress caught onboard the runaway amusement park ride careening out of control, going faster and faster. I can't control the action any more than I can write the script. Let alone, direct it.

And, I'm the heroine already slated for trouble. Or worse.

It's been three weeks of bad movie scenes-my life careening out of control in absolute silence. I don't say anything. I don't react to what I know to be true. I just go through the motions with my ever-predictable life script, fighting the ever-growing panic, and acknowledge I'm going to have to do something to save myself. Soon.
~~~
Besieged. I sit in the office chair opposite of Dr. Michael Shaw, anticipating a reprieve from more bad news. I've had enough bad news for a lifetime already in just the past three weeks. I play at normal in the starring role as Ellen Kay Bradford-the one I've played for over eighteen years.

I'm giving Michael one of my winning, former-University-of-Washington-cheerleader smiles and watch its predictable impact play across his golden features with his captivating return smile.

We banter pleasantries back and forth in his medical office for the first five minutes about the kids, Robert, Carrie, what the plans might be for Thanksgiving and Christmas and back to the kids again. They're fine. Great. Fine. Great.

Finally, he takes a deep breath and closes his eyes for a brief moment and then opens them again and just looks at me. "The biopsy shows malignant cells. You have cancer, Ellie," he says in this let's-look-at-the-bright-side, manly voice, though I hear it tremble. "Stage two, aggressive, treatable, but we need to move fast."

His words cascade down on top of me like unexpected rainfall. I actually start to shake as his diagnosis begins to resonate with the working parts of my brain. This isn't happening. This can't be happening. I try to form my brightest smile, but I can't make my face work.
This isn't happening. Not to us.

I'm getting my bad news mixed up. I'm not making any sense. I'm just sitting here, looking at him, trying to find some sort of silver lining in all of this. This unraveling of my life. This fucking roller coaster ride. This god-damn ride I want to get off of now. God damn it. I sit silent. Searching for perfect control, I finally form a smile for him. I'm waiting, waiting for the punch line.

"This is a joke; right? You just didn't tell me I have cancer, because, frankly, if we're being honest, Michael." My voice wavers. I try to smile again, but can't quite make it work. "I've got enough shit going on right now."

"No."

I can't find any solace in his tone. I shift in my chair and just look at him. We've known each other for almost twenty years, since the days at the University of Washington when all four of us had been sophomores in college. I've seen him naked a half dozen times, in those innocent moments, when we had all gone camping together, drank too much, and let strip poker go a little too far. He is my best friend Carrie's husband. He is best friends with my husband, Robert. My friend even.

And, yet, in this moment, all I can think of is that there is worse news than this-worse news that I will eventually have to tell him. My resolve gives way. My eyes betray me first and fill with tears, not for myself, but for Michael.

"Ellie, it's going to be okay," he says, misinterpreting my tears.

"Not really," I say. Breathe. "There are worse things going on."

His handsome face immediately changes to anguish. He knows.

"When did you find out?" Michael asks in a distant voice.

"Three weeks ago." I clasp my hands together. "You?"

"Three months ago." He gives me a wry smile. Then, he gets up from his office chair and promises to be right back. "Come on, Ellie," he says, when he returns. "Let's get out of here."
~~~
Sitting in Michael's car, an ostentatious, black Lexus SUV, ensconced in the riches of onyx leather, all my senses are quietly being assaulted by the smell of his cologne. I covertly glance over at him. Even in profile, he is handsome, always has been goes the errant thought in my head. It's too bad I married Robert Bradford; Michael Shaw would have been better for me.

"Where are we going?"

"I haven't thought that far, yet," he says with a flash of his white smile.

Again, I feel this attraction for him. What the hell is wrong with me? This man is my husband's best friend. He is my best friend's husband. He is the godfather to my sixteen-year-old son. And now, he is my surgeon. It's apparent on this rainy day in October that, perhaps, I should have gotten a different surgeon, a different opinion. I certainly didn't like what this doctor, this friend of mine, had to say, but Dr. Michael Shaw is the best. And, Carrie had insisted.

Carrie. I love Carrie. She's been my best friend, since our freshman year in college. It's hard to believe that she and Robert have become involved. I wrestle with all of these competing thoughts, while sitting in Michael's car, consciously acknowledging that I like his cologne and his profile. Maybe, Robert and Carrie's liaison was as simple and innocent as this. Maybe, one day, Robert told Carrie that she had cancer and their love affair had started on such a simple premise.

Cancer. I have cancer. No, that's where the similarities between Carrie and me end. I have cancer; she doesn't. I'm crying, again. Michael reaches over and takes my hand in his.

"Ellie, it's going to be okay," he says.

The gentleness in his voice is my undoing and I slide across the seat to be next to him. "Really, Dr. Shaw? You think so?" I give him a weepy smile. I should be devastated right now, but there is this overwhelming feeling of longing at Michael's touch. I should be scared out of my mind, but Michael makes me feel wanted, safe.
~~~

The reviews
are good and holding at a 4.5 star rating on Amazon with 13 reviews, but I would love more readers. Welcome!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The best review "ever" of Not To Us

From a Reviewer of Not To Us
"I don't think I've ever read a book that felt so personal. Almost as if I was prying by reading things I had no business reading, but yet couldn't tear myself away in order to find out what happens next..."

A quote from the novel, Not To Us:
"Grief is like cancer. It ebbs and flows within you. Then, it changes and transforms you. Forever. Grief. Cancer. Both force you to face your worse fear---death. Grief and cancer. Both undermine your optimism of life. You finally see the cup is really just half full, even if you believed otherwise your whole life. Both teach you to believe that bad things can happen to people, whenever they're good or bad or rich or poor or young or old, alike. Grief and cancer corner the market for all. Grief and cancer take all comers. Both rule. Do they always win? I begin to wonder."

More from the reviewer:
"I know this: I will read anything and everything that Katherine Owen writes. She can turn the most ordinary words into a beautiful work of art..."

See entire review, here:
http://abellestales.blogspot.com/2011/12/not-to-us-by-katherine-clare-owen.html?showComment=1324501107620

Not To Us is available in print or for the #Kindle on Amazon. Retail price for Not To Us on Kindle is $4.99. It's on sale at $2.99 right now on Amazon.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not To Us is currently on sale at Amazon (with a new cover, new look). Check it out.

What readers are saying about Not To Us...
"Isn't it true that when horrible things happen to others, we are quick to think that it won't happen to us? That's exactly what "Not To Us" is centered on...an emotional roller coaster ride...a book to be read at leisure so as to enjoy every moment...It touches you...forces the reader to face many truths; that we have no control over our lives, no matter how hard we try. What makes the difference though, is how we deal with it."
Ellen Fritz
Books4Tomorrow

"...a beautiful work of art... Not To Us is an astonishing story with many unexpected twists and turns...about one woman's wishes, discovering the strength she didn't know she possessed, forgiveness and understanding, but most importantly, learning to love herself."
Cheles Bells
A Belle's Tales

OVERVIEW:
Ellie's perfect world unravels.
A best friend's betrayal ends her marriage.
An alarming diagnosis threatens her life.
Yet.
It all leads to Michael...
But, fate soon tests their perfect union.
And, begs the question: if you get a second chance, do you take a different path?

MORE praise for Not To Us
"This book was the epitome of an emotional rollercoaster, and I say that with a smile on my face...I read through this book rather quickly, because it captivated me so much..."
Stephanie
Goodreads

If you enjoy the poignancy of At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks and the inevitable twists and turns in storyline like those of Jodi Picoult, you are going to LOVE Not To Us!
Click the book covers below in the signature line to go directly to Amazon.

Thanks for considering my work.

Best,
Katherine Owen

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The most recent review of Not To Us is 5-stars...

Excellent writing. Great story on relationships, friendships, and just dealing with life. The one life quote I kept hearing in my heard as I read this was 'Never say Never". Ellie the main character will have you cheering for her one moment, crying, and she will upset you too! That's all I will say. I enjoyed this book a lot.

OVERVIEW of Not To Us

Ellie's perfect world unravels.
A best friend's betrayal ends her marriage.
An alarming diagnosis threatens her life.
Yet.
It all leads to Michael...
But, fate soon tests their perfect union.
And, begs the question: if you get a second chance, do you take a different path?

AUTHOR'S NOTE: It's true. Relationships can be tested in all kinds of ways. The emotional roller coaster ride that is the story of Not To Us will surprise you with its unexpected twists and turns. This is edgy fiction that explores controversial topics including: infidelity and betrayal. If you have any reservations, please read the sample first.

PRAISE for Not To Us
"Strong characterizations and intriguing plot lines kept me riveted to this novel. The storyline of couples facing midlife crisis that tears them apart and still brings them together is very moving..."

"This book was the epitome of an emotional rollercoaster, and I say that with a smile on my face...I read through this book rather quickly, because it captivated me so much..."

"... I have to say I loved it. It is the story of how a woman's life falls apart from one day to the next and how she keeps it together. Or not..."

Award-winning author Katherine Owen delivers with her second novel, "Not To Us".
BESTSELLER! Amazon Kindle - Literary Fiction
BESTSELLER! Amazon Kindle & Books - American Drama

If you enjoy the inevitable twists and turns in storylines like those of Jodi Picoult, you are going to LOVE "Not To Us"!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A new cover update for NOT TO US that illustrates the sweet side of Ellie and Michael's story.

On Amazon, this novel carries a 4.1/5 star rating based on 51 reviews.

Enjoy! Thank you for considering my work.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts