Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i just got  my kindle 2! and like  everyone I else have nothing but love for it. but im noticing some letters look faded at random for instance the letter "e" sometimes appears less dark. I called tech support and he told me if its not happening in the same spot over and over it is not a problem, and it hasn't been. Has anyone else noticed this on the kindle 2? it is very hard to see but i am just really paranoid about my screen being harmed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
is the hardware causing the letters to fade. or can it be simply fixed with a software patch.  maybe i should  return my kindle but what if i still have the same problem..

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Are they becoming more faded or are you just looking for them now? I am sure that because you have noticed this and are now concentrating on looking for it, it is more noticeable to you now.
Doesn't make it less of a problem, though.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
hmmm, that's interesting. I'm sure they are looking into it. The last thing they would want is to do a recall of some sort. Hopefully it's fixable with a software update or it can become very expensive for Amazon all of the sudden.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
intinst said:
Are they becoming more faded or are you just looking for them now? I am sure that because you have noticed this and are now concentrating on looking for it, it is more noticeable to you now.
Doesn't make it less of a problem, though.
no thankgod the problem is not getting worse. i was just staring at my kindle and noticing the letter "e" is faded alot. almost every "e" is faded on each page if i stare and look at my kindle... i will try the ALT G and see if that helps. thankyou for trying to help me

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I don't have a K2 yet, saving up for it, but I have to say I keep reading more and more comments about "faded" letters. Now I can understand a few complains here and there, but this seems to be a lot. That worries me when it comes time to ordering my K2.

If it is software, why haven't they fixed it yet then. I see threads upon threads on other forums about this. Now we have CS not wanting to replace units. I worry I end up with such a unit and I am way to chicken to argue with CS and I would be stuck with fading letters too.

Its just wierd that there seems to be such inconsistency with the screens. Was it like this when K1 first came out? I wasn't around then.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I've seen this, but it's only in certain books. Now why it would be that way is anyone's guess, but it leads me to wonder if this isn't an issue on the publishing/formatting end rather than Amazon's?

I get enough into whatever I'm reading that it's been a non issue for me, but it's definitely noticeable in some books.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The book I am reading now is in the Topaz format and it has some faded letters, but Topaz books on the K1 did too, so I think this is a Topaz issue, not a Kindle issue.

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
The OP specifically stated it was the letter E that was appearing faded, not all the text on the page... This still makes me wonder if it is a problem with the book they are reading.

I went through several samples on my K2 last night, and I can say they all had different levels of darkness in the text, from one book to the next.... The last one I opened was very dark, like most of the K1 books I had....

One sample I opened had the first text character drop in each chapter. That one got deleted quickly. Inconsistent formatting is the biggest problem with the Kindle e-books.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This could be a result of the anti-aliasing/font smoothing on the kindle. This can sometimes make letters look blurry or faded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.