Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have resisted setting my novels at 99 Cents as a permanent price. As a sale price, I could see it, but particularly for historical novels that take a huge amount of work, I just didn't want to.

The thing is when I had Freedom's Sword at 99 Cents it got onto some good "Also Bought" lists of other historical novels. Soon after I put it back to $2.99, it dropped off. It has excellent reviews and quite a few of them. I don't think there is much else I can do for promotion than what I am doing. Any bumps I get are nothing more than that: temporary bumps.T

I do lose money having it at 99 cents since the additional sales aren't high enough (about triple) to make up for the loss in royalties, but to draw readers to ALL of my novels I am convinced I need to have at least one on the "Also Bought" list.

So I just dropped the price on Freedom's Sword (my highest selling novel by far) to 99 Cents and plan on keeping it there. Might I eventually change my mind? It's always possible, but I don't think so. *sigh*

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BarbaraKE said:
As a reader, I generally ignore 99-cent books on the assumption that they're not very good. (Please don't jump all over me, I know that's not always true but I'm not the only person that does this.)

Anyway, the only exception is when it's the first book in a series. I know very well the author/publisher is publishing it cheap hoping the reader will become interested and buy the rest of the series at a higher price - but it works.

I hope it works for you.

(On a side note, both your books are already on my 'buy' list. But I'm holding off until next week because I'm getting a color Nook for my birthday (!!!!!) and I want to put it on there. I'm so excited!!)
No jumping all over you. I realize some people do that. This is the first in my series of Scottish historical novels although not all are or will be sequels, technically speaking. But they are all closely related and will appeal to the same readers.

I understand what you're saying.

You might want to pick up your Nook version at Smashwords. I feed to B&N through there and unfortunately price updates to Nook take longer than they should. (I may change doing it that way for that reason, but right now that's my practice) Thanks for putting it on your 'buy' list and congrats on the new Nook! :D

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Patty Jansen said:
Joanne,

I just did the same for all my books. I'd like to get a few more reviews. So far, so good. I do intend to put the price back up later.
I'm not doing it for reviews. I have a fair number of reviews on Freedom's Sword. Of course, I want more. Don't we all? But what I am much, much more concerned about getting a good placement on "Also Bought" lists. :)

I'm not doing it for all my books, only the first of the historical novels also. But good luck with your strategy. It may work better than mine. I'm just punting. :)

Edit: In order to get reviews I gave away a LOT of review copies. It's what I suggest for getting reviews.

Chris my next book is already released which I'm keeping at $2.99. I'm averaging a sale a day on that right now so not exactly setting the world on fire. The one after that which will be out before Christmas MAY be priced at $3.99 IF I am having the sales to justify it.

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sarah Woodbury said:
Daughter of Time is back to 99 cents after a trial of about a month at 2.99. The price raise coincided with the Gaga incident, plus the sunshine sale, so maybe it wasn't a good test, but I'd much rather sell more copies as the lead in to my series, than have the extra money at this point. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get more books up, but for now, it seems a wise choice . . .
That's pretty much my thinking, Sarah.

CB, I appreciate the feedback.

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
genevieveaclark said:
Can I ask how many a lot is? I don't remember seeing these particular numbers thrown around before, but I very well may have missed it.
I gave away more than 400 review/ARC copies of Freedom's Sword. I have away about 200 review/ARC copies of A Kingdom's Cost and it shows in the lower number of reviews.

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Monique said:
Moving to 99 cents has been a boon for me. I gained far more than I lost. I know there are those who won't read books at that price point, but that's their loss (no offense). There are oodles of fantastic books that free too. I don't understand ignoring all other merits and writing something off simply because it's inexpensive. *shrug*

I had originally intended to raise the price again, but decided against it. My second book in the series will be priced at $2.99. At least that's the plan.
It is SO important to have a novel in the "Also Bought" lists, I don't see any way to raise the price again in the foreseeable future. It is most definitely not that people don't buy the novel at all. I don't consider about 40 sales a month that bad, but it isn't enough to push the novel into that all-important position or onto any best-seller lists.

So although I'd rather not... there ya go.

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Katie Salidas said:
Wow! That certainly is a lot!

How did you go about giving them away? Were the direct contacts to bloggers, contest prizes, or some combination of the two?
Only a few went to bloggers which was by direct contact. I gave around 40 to various bloggers for Freedom's Sword. The Amazon forum giveaway was before "promotion" was forbidden there and I just posted in the Kindle Book Forum offering downloads from Smashwords for a week. I gave away more than 100 from that. I gave away about 200 from a Librarything giveaway. I just had a paperback giveaway on Goodreads for 10 copies. I gave a handful to people from this forum.

I don't think you can really include a requirement for a review with a contest prize.

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Monique said:
Yeah, you really need 40 sales a day or so get that real boost/traction.
I've been in the historical fiction top sellers with less than that. It's not like romance in sales, so I don't need quite that many, but I do need more than I'm getting now. :-\

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I made more sales in a single day than I had in the first two weeks of the month. Now whether that holds up is open to question, but it's why I felt I had to do this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.