Kindle Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,413 Posts
Though the 99 cent price point is often up for debate, I have to agree with the usage of it for a first in a series novel. I've done that with mine and I'd like to think it's the reason more and more people are looking at book 2 and now book 3 in my series.

I've been tempted so many times to raise up to $2.99 or more but I doubt I ever will. Book 1 should remain at 99 cents.

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
genevieveaclark said:
Can I ask how many a lot is? I don't remember seeing these particular numbers thrown around before, but I very well may have missed it.
I gave away more than 400 review/ARC copies of Freedom's Sword. I have away about 200 review/ARC copies of A Kingdom's Cost and it shows in the lower number of reviews.

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Monique said:
Moving to 99 cents has been a boon for me. I gained far more than I lost. I know there are those who won't read books at that price point, but that's their loss (no offense). There are oodles of fantastic books that free too. I don't understand ignoring all other merits and writing something off simply because it's inexpensive. *shrug*

I had originally intended to raise the price again, but decided against it. My second book in the series will be priced at $2.99. At least that's the plan.
It is SO important to have a novel in the "Also Bought" lists, I don't see any way to raise the price again in the foreseeable future. It is most definitely not that people don't buy the novel at all. I don't consider about 40 sales a month that bad, but it isn't enough to push the novel into that all-important position or onto any best-seller lists.

So although I'd rather not... there ya go.

· Registered
1,413 Posts
JRTomlin said:
I gave away more than 400 review/ARC copies of Freedom's Sword. I have away about 200 review/ARC copies of A Kingdom's Cost and it shows in the lower number of reviews.
Wow! That certainly is a lot!

How did you go about giving them away? Were the direct contacts to bloggers, contest prizes, or some combination of the two?

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Katie Salidas said:
Wow! That certainly is a lot!

How did you go about giving them away? Were the direct contacts to bloggers, contest prizes, or some combination of the two?
Only a few went to bloggers which was by direct contact. I gave around 40 to various bloggers for Freedom's Sword. The Amazon forum giveaway was before "promotion" was forbidden there and I just posted in the Kindle Book Forum offering downloads from Smashwords for a week. I gave away more than 100 from that. I gave away about 200 from a Librarything giveaway. I just had a paperback giveaway on Goodreads for 10 copies. I gave a handful to people from this forum.

I don't think you can really include a requirement for a review with a contest prize.

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Monique said:
Yeah, you really need 40 sales a day or so get that real boost/traction.
I've been in the historical fiction top sellers with less than that. It's not like romance in sales, so I don't need quite that many, but I do need more than I'm getting now. :-\

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I made more sales in a single day than I had in the first two weeks of the month. Now whether that holds up is open to question, but it's why I felt I had to do this.

· Registered
6,417 Posts
Seems like I am going against the trend here. I am putting up the price of Lunch Break Thrillers from 99c to $5.99 on Monday. I've enjoyed the 99c ride while it lasted, but really the numbers as in $$$ don't stack up when set against the cost of editing and proof reading etc. It's been good fun riding in the top ten in the UK for its category for 5 months and it has enjoyed reasonable position in America for a compilation. I guess it will be just as much fun watching it go down, having said that I won't have time to keep looking. Too many irons in the fire up and coming in eBook publishing to worry about it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.