Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm going with novellas this year, but still two novels in my trilogy.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I began with individual shorts, (eventually also wrote a novel) but then I realized people found my shorts too short.  So I ventured into a 17.5k novella first, and more recently, a 37.5k novella. 

80k+ Novels are harder to write.  Novellas between 30-40k are great as they can hit the 2.99 price point and readers feel satisfied with the length.  However, having said that, I don't pre-plan my novella length, because a story has to be told well, no matter how long it gets. 

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
As a reader, I genuinely prefer to read novellas. I just don't like having to invest much time into a book anymore, so about 20-35k words is perfect for me.

I think I'm the only reader who prefers that.

I'll only be investing my time into novels this year. :)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'll write the stories I feel like writing, at whatever length they happen to want to be. Probably one novel, several novellas, and maybe some short stories. Oh, and some horribly hypocritical nonfiction. :)

I released a little over 100,000 original words, last year. Not sure how this year'll fare, but I've already got about 40,000 words of WIP written, so...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'll be writing stories that will be as long as they need to be.

Currently I have a series of novelettes ready to go, and at least two novels. The others I'm writing I'm not sure if they'll be novella or novel length. I won't know until they're done.

·
Registered
670 Posts
After four full-length novels in a row, this year I'll be working on two novellas and a book of essays.

·
Registered
773 Posts
As a writer, I'm working on both for this year. As a reader, I almost always prefer novels, the longer the better.

·
Registered
119 Posts
smreine said:
As a reader, I genuinely prefer to read novellas. I just don't like having to invest much time into a book anymore, so about 20-35k words is perfect for me.

I'll only be investing my time into novels this year. :)
Nah. I'm a novella reader too.

I'll probably write a mixture of short stories, novellas, and (short) novels but I would really be happy to just write novellas, the shorter the better.

·
Registered
886 Posts
As a reader, I've been enjoying novellas a lot now that more authors are free to write and publish them! Which is not to say I don't enjoy longer novels still, but I tend to take a break from them to read a short story or novella in between sections.

As a writer, I have planned WIPs of all different lengths, from 15K to 120K, but this year I'm going to attempt some shorter things. At the first/second draft stage on my current projects, I can definitely see the novella-sized one turning out MUCH easier than even half of the 90K novel I wrote. But that also could have been because it was my first book and I didn't know what I was doing. ;)

I like the idea of having more books out there for people to find me by, so as a newbie author, that's a motivation to write shorter too.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
smreine said:
That makes two of us. I yearn for the return of the shorter novels--which have to be called novellas because the average novel has grown too large. I also write shorter stuff. This should not be taken as an endorsement of the series format. I've been disappointed there...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I will be working on a mixture of novels, novellas, novelettes and shorter shorts. I have several novels and at least six novellas planned. I also have around two dozen shorts that I need to write.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"Sure of nothing."

Possibly concerns about length/wordcount/novel/novella
might be reconsidered and directed at the issue of genre.

Recent 'minimal' experience suggests that genre, the ability
of editor/audience/word of mouth to 'describe' in familiar
language, the definition of one's work, is/will be the distinction
between 'success/failure'--all relative to one's expectations,
of course.

Paying very close attention to the issue of genre, here.  If I/we/you
cannot describe succinctly what is to be purchased, and why,
the quality of the work will never matter.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts