Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reviewing short stories for several years now on my blog, Book Brouhaha. I've beta read for friends and decided I wanted to officially offer the service to other authors.

When reviewing on my blog, I've become "known" (relative term) for my use of 3 stars for the decent, well-written story. In other words, I'm not afraid to say what I like and don't like about a story. When friends ask for feedback, I don't coddle them.

Beta reading is different from editing. All authors need multiple Beta Readers to help improve their craft. Without them, an author cannot obtain objective feedback on the story and could potentially pay more in editing costs because of the level of effort needed to improve it.

My rates and further details are listed here: http://bookbrouhaha.blogspot.com/p/beta-reading-service.html

645 Posts
I wanted to personally say that book Brouhaha has become my number one place for betareading. I don't have fans clambering for my next read and goodreads is not always a surefire way to find them either (instead I got one general betaread that went 'it's okay, just capitalize this word'.) Trading doesn't always equal a guaranteed decent betaread either from my experience. :(

Alain doesn't do typos or grammar, but watches for the flow of the story. I sent her my first one and it came back with much more information about what she was confused about, and what didn't make sense. I rewrote a lot with her suggestions, and it feels a thousand times better.

I even paid again to send it back to her, to see how those changes went and got it back today. Getting closer! :p

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
This is just me, but IMO beta reading is something done for free by avid readers of a genre because they like having input, because they like having a book earlier than anyone else, etc. If you charge, it's editing of some sort.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I've used some free beta readers, but really good ones, yeah, I keep them and I pay them. I can't afford this particular service (I pay $75 for a novel, and at these rates, an 85,000-word novel would come to $255), but I do see it as something different from editing.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ellenoc said:
This is just me, but IMO beta reading is something done for free by avid readers of a genre because they like having input, because they like having a book earlier than anyone else, etc. If you charge, it's editing of some sort.
Yes and no. I have beta readers for my own work as well as editors and I do see a distinct difference.

To me, a good beta reader is not just someone reading the book or wanting to have an early copy. A good beta reader should be able to read a story and say WHY (like, really truly WHY) they liked or didn't like something about your story.

Often times a "straight" reader will have a reaction to a book but they're not sure what gave them reaction. Which is why it's rare to have a thoughtful review on Amazon. More often than not it's something vague like "didn't like the characters, they came across as annoying."

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Serena Walken said:
I wanted to personally say that book Brouhaha has become my number one place for betareading. I don't have fans clambering for my next read and goodreads is not always a surefire way to find them either (instead I got one general betaread that went 'it's okay, just capitalize this word'.) Trading doesn't always equal a guaranteed decent betaread either from my experience. :(

Alain doesn't do typos or grammar, but watches for the flow of the story. I sent her my first one and it came back with much more information about what she was confused about, and what didn't make sense. I rewrote a lot with her suggestions, and it feels a thousand times better.

I even paid again to send it back to her, to see how those changes went and got it back today. Getting closer! :p
And thank you, Serena. ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts