Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please give me a solution to why the number of pages in my Word manuscript when uploaded is different when I view it through the previewer?  My table of contents is useless as the page number does not match the chapter page number. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
715 Posts
We might be able to help you if you are more specific.

1. Where are you uploading it and previewing it?
2. Have you formatted it for paperback and the proper trim size? Or is it just regular Word doc?
3. If you did format it, did you download any sort of template?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Not really enough info to go on, but I'd start by checking my doc. Bring it up in word, click "home" on the top menu, and slide right until you see the backwards "P" paragraph symbol - click that from hide to show and check your page and section breaks. If you've got what looks fine on word but is longer on the previewer, you may a portion where there are more than one page breaks between chapters. Delete the extras and you'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Sounds like you have kept he same table of contents for your print book that you have used for your eBook in raw form, and not taken out the page numbers from you TOC, which you must do before uploading  as those page numbers associated with a particular chapter in you Word doc are useless and need editing out

If that is the case then come back and say so as it is an easy fix to explain how to resolve.

Another reason could be blank pages showing in the Preview that are not on the ms. That is also a simple fix

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. To be clearer: I have used templates, different from an ebook. I have even copied and pasted into KDP's template. I have made sure all formatting (margins, page size, etc) are exactly as KDP's template. There are no blank pages in the Launch Previewer. Both versions appear the same as I went through them page by page, but clearly the page size is different as sentences do not appear at the same spot on the pages. I used a different template for my ebook.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ideally, for print, you'd upload a properly formatted PDF with all fonts embedded. MS Word documents are not intended to render identically across computer systems. If I open your MS Word file on my system, it could look slightly different. This is what you're seeing.

But Portable Document Format (PDF) files are designed to render identically across systems. Generate a PDF, open that in Adobe Reader, and mouse over the lower left-hand corner until a small box pops up with the PDF page size. Verify that it matches your trim size. Then click Edit > Preferences. On the Page Display screen, uncheck the box for Use local fonts. This will then show you the PDF as KDP will see it. Review it carefully. If anything looks wrong, correct it in your source file and repeat the PDF generation and review. Once it looks exactly as you want it, upload the PDF to KDP.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your quick and valuable replies. Converting from Word to PDF, then uploading fixed it. I would suggest Amazon not write that .docx or .doc are acceptable files to upload.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
>I would suggest Amazon not write that .docx or .doc are acceptable files to upload.

They're acceptable, yes, but they're not a good idea.

They're acceptable for an ebook, too, but I haven't submitted one since 2008, when I switched from Word to html.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.