Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,  i am trying to keep up with all the kindle news so maybe you can help me out. did i read that there will be a discount on the DX if you subscribe to the nytimes? do you think that there will be the same discount for the k2? thanks and great forum.

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
Hi betty!  Welcome. . . . .

There was some talk at the press conference about a discount on certain newspapers for subscribing for a longer term.  Currently, subscriptions are basically just month to month.  I do not believe anything more specific has been announced.  I have a K1 and subscribe to Washington Post and would definitely consider a longer term subscription if it meant a discount. . . ..

BTW, there's an intros and welcomes forum. . . .feel free to drop by and tell us a little bit about yourself!

Ann

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Hi betty! Welcome. . . . .

There was some talk at the press conference about a discount on certain newspapers for subscribing for a longer term. Currently, subscriptions are basically just month to month. I do not believe anything more specific has been announced. I have a K1 and subscribe to Washington Post and would definitely consider a longer term subscription if it meant a discount. . . ..

BTW, there's an intros and welcomes forum. . . .feel free to drop by and tell us a little bit about yourself!

Ann
Introductions and Welcomes

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have to admit I'm intrigued by the mention of it.  I used to subscribe to three paper (NYT, Boston Globe & Washington Post) but dropped the subs switching from the K1 to K2.  

Having a discount on the K DX and longer subscription terms might tempt me back.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The New York Times Company and Washington Post Company are launching pilots with Kindle DX this summer. The New York Times, The Boston Globe, and The Washington Post will offer the Kindle DX at a reduced price to readers who live in areas where home-delivery is not available and who sign up for a long-term subscription to the Kindle edition of the newspapers.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I hope they do extend it to K2 owners as  I do subscribe to the NYT and live in de middle of nowhere!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I'd guess the discount isn't going to be more that the required sub cost to purchase. Kinda like getting the sub for free maybe in the end?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't know how much more they can discount it.
My home delivery service (prior to 1/08 when it was first available on Kindle) for the
NY Times was $181 a quarter i.e. $60 a month.  My Kindle delivery is $13.99 a month.
My fear is that they will discontinue K delivery in areas where home delivery is available.

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
I expect we'll hear more about the newspaper/DX deals when summer comes and the DX is actually available.

I don't think they'll discontinue kindle edition delivery where home delivery is available.  I would think that people who currently subscribe on kindle wouldn't automatically switch to a paper subscription if the k edition wasn't available.  I think they'd be more likely to just not pay for it at all and read the articles they want to on line.

Ann

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
How about a discount on the DX IF you subscribe to NY Times, etc. The newspaper people should offer a rebate!!  8) 8)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Kind said:
How about a discount on the DX IF you subscribe to NY Times, etc. The newspaper people should offer a rebate!! 8) 8)
That's exactly what part of the press release said. Here it is again:

The New York Times Company and Washington Post Company are launching pilots with Kindle DX this summer. The New York Times, The Boston Globe, and The Washington Post will offer the Kindle DX at a reduced price to readers who live in areas where home-delivery is not available and who sign up for a long-term subscription to the Kindle edition of the newspapers.

I thought that posting this earlier today would clarify the situation, but evidently it has not. Nothing has been said about a discount on subscriptions. It is the Kindle DX that will be discounted on the basis specified.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
LibbyD said:
I thought that posting this earlier today would clarify the situation, but evidently it has not. Nothing has been said about a discount on subscriptions. It is the Kindle DX that will be discounted on the basis specified.
I wonder how that works with the preorder? If it works like Amazon has in the past, you'd have to cancel the preorder, then reorder (then get bumped down the cache) ??? ::)

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
I'm guessing that when the DX is actually available, that is when they'll announce the discount available with subscription. . . .

All speculation until the thing actually starts shipping, of course!  :D

Ann

·
Registered
435 Posts
Red said:
I wonder how that works with the preorder? If it works like Amazon has in the past, you'd have to cancel the preorder, then reorder (then get bumped down the cache) ??? ::)
The DX will be offered at a special price from the newspapers, not Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
LibbyD said:
The DX will be offered at a special price from the newspapers, not Amazon.
I think you'll still have to order the DX through Amazon, but if you also order a subscription to one of the partner newspapers there'll be a coupon that gets applied. I'm guessing you'll have to commit to a year or two at least.

But, again, all speculation until something is actually announced! :D

Ann

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I think you'll still have to order the DX through Amazon, but if you also order a subscription to one of the partner newspapers there'll be a coupon that gets applied. I'm guessing you'll have to commit to a year or two at least.

But, again, all speculation until something is actually announced! :D

Ann
This much is not speculation but a direct quote from an announcement made on Wednesday when the DX was unveiled: The New York Times Company and Washington Post Company are launching pilots with Kindle DX this summer. The New York Times, The Boston Globe, and The Washington Post will offer the Kindle DX at a reduced price to readers who live in areas where home-delivery is not available and who sign up for a long-term subscription to the Kindle edition of the newspapers.

I didn't make that up. The Times, Globe, and Post - not Amazon - will be offering the DX at a reduced price. The only thing we haven't been told is what the reduced price will be.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I am getting the DX for my parents who read the LA Times. Dad said that he saw that the LA Times was going to be offering a similar deal. Buy a discounted Kindle DX with a long term LA Times subscription. I called the LA Times today to ask about how the program would work. The customer service people had not heard about it.

I have pre-ordered the DX just to be safe but will be looking for info on the subscription/DX deals while waiting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
by way of an example amazon and audible.com have teamed up. if you buy a mp3 player, for example i purchased an itouch, and you agree to one year of audible.com membership for 14.95 a month which is one book a month then you get $100 of the price of the mp3 player.

so $100 off of a k2 with the nytimes monthly of 14.95 would really be awesome.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts