Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I shouldn't read book aloud to my children anymore?  This is an argument that will never have any merit.

I think the text to speech is wonderful.  Instead of turning on the TV this morning to get my girls ready for school I was able to sit the babies on the couch and turn on the text to speech.  They listened to Peter Rabbit and a few other stories instead of the TV.  It doesn't get any better than a book.  All 4 of my kids agree!  I think the text to speech is one of the most wonderful parts of the K2.  I will buy a new book for the babies every week night so they have something to entertain them while I get their sisters dressed.  Perfect!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Sure, text-to-speech will probably take some money away from the audio book market, but the DRM on the e-books means that your can't lend them to friends like a hardcover or paperback, so that should eventually make up for the loss.

Besides, most people that I know who buy audio books wouldn't be willing to spend the up front cost for the Kindle 2 anyway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I might be in the minority, but I do not think TTS is all that great. In a pinch it is passable, but it is nothing like an audio book. I will probably only used TTS when I need to read some more, but my eyes just won't focus anymore. I had a hard time understanding all the words the couple of times I have tried it so far.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't plan to use it much either.

However, I will demonstrate it for one of my friends. She currently has cataracts on both eyes and her opthamologist has told her she may be blind within 5 years.

If she likes it enough, I may even give her the K2 and just order a second one for myself. I can always use my K1 while I wait for the second K2 to arrive and I could always just spend more time on KindleBoards while I am waiting.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
My pastor showed me his new K2 this evening after the Ash Wednesday Mass.  I had it read Jeff Bezos letter to me. . . .the voice sounded surprisingly good, but it doesn't compare to the inflection and 'feeling' you get with a well read audio book.

My opinion, only, of course.

Ann

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is the same tired old argument that "Films will kill the theater!"

I particularly like the part where he implies they could call for royalties for you reading to your kids but don't, unless you let a Kindle do it, then... Yesh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts