KBoards.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got one of the original Oasis kindles, the that splits the battery into a small one in the device and a large one in the cover.

Been having power problems for a couple of days. A few possibly related issues:

1) When I open the cover I don't get the display about resuming the device from power saving. The reading screen pops up after a second or two. Might be eating power?

2) Yesterday I took the device off charger and didn't use it for about 7 hours. When I opened it up I saw the above and the cover battery was at 60%. I restarted it and I then put the device back on charge and took it to 100%

3) Last night I put it away (not charging) with cover power at about 86%. This morning when I checked it the cover battery was at 73%.

4) This morning I separated the device and cover. The device was at about 97%. I just checked about an hour later and the device battery was at 86%

So I've concluded that the device itself is consuming power. I did the search for a nonsense string and it didn't complain about indexing, so I don't think it's that. I do use the Oasis heavily, I probably charge it every third night or so.

It's probably been at least a year since I reset the device. Worth trying?

Right now the new Oasis is on sale for $175. I could get that or the paperwhite for around $85. Not sure which I would want, the Oasis is a lot wider. I do usually read with the cover in place, and sometimes I use the buttons and sometimes not (probably 70/30).

If I do replace it I would want to trade this one in. How long does it take to get access to the discount percentage; this is the only Kindle I have.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The percentage off and gift card are available immediately. I just helped my mom do this for a new PW for my dad yesterday. Don’t forget to mark the free three months of Kindle Unlimited on the same page as the device. 😉

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I don't have to wait until Amazon has physically received my old device to be issued the discount and gift card? That would be great!

Does anyone know what the difference, if any, between resetting the device and deregistering? I tried resetting, which doesn't prep the device to be used on another account. Wondering if there is some software screwy if reset does as good as deregistering.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Gary_Berg said:
Right now the new Oasis is on sale for $175. I could get that or the paperwhite for around $85. Not sure which I would want, the Oasis is a lot wider. I do usually read with the cover in place, and sometimes I use the buttons and sometimes not (probably 70/30).

If I do replace it I would want to trade this one in. How long does it take to get access to the discount percentage; this is the only Kindle I have.
Aside from the size difference (& I do like the extra screen-width), the Oasis has a "warm" setting, kind of off-white that's nice (& variable) & easier on the eyes -- not the same as just dimming-the-brightness (which of course you can also do).

IIRC when you use the trade-in option they'll give you a trade-in deadline to send it in (& reminder emails), meanwhile you've already gotten the new one.

Be *sure* to keep your send-in tracking info! My trade-in got lost *after delivery* & I was able to tell customer service all the info (track#, dates, etc) so they didn't take away my discount & gift card.

ETA -- also, before doing anything, be sure to make a note of the model/serial#. I think I both deregistered on the MYCD page and did a factory-reset on the device.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So apparently, a reset on the Oasis cleaned up the power problems. But Saturday evening I had to force restart the device twice as I lost the touch screen. I lost all confidence in the device, and traded it in on the current Oasis. I was able to select to receive an instant credit of the gift card and discount percentage.

So my new Kindle is set to deliver on Wednesday! Kindle watch!!

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts