Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I posted on the Oberon velcro fits post that I tried converting my Oberon Journal Cover that I had originally converted into a K1 Cover into a K2 Cover using the Amazon K2 cover. I'm pleased with the results!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I was wondering about doing this as I was reading the Oberon feedback thread. It doesn't feel too bulky to you? Do you have a scale you could weigh the whole unit and let us know how much it weighs? The K2 in the Amazon cover is 16.75 oz.

L

·
Registered
723 Posts
I did this also just to see. But it all starts getting overly big (to me) for the trim and svelte K2

Simply my take on it. Plus I need my Ob Journal for journaling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leslie said:
I was wondering about doing this as I was reading the Oberon feedback thread. It doesn't feel too bulky to you? Do you have a scale you could weigh the whole unit and let us know how much it weighs? The K2 in the Amazon cover is 16.75 oz.

L
Sorry I don't have a scale, but if feels lighter than a hardback book. I'd say an oversized paperback. Some might not like it, but honestly the K2 is a little too skinny for me, I like to have something to hold onto.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Leslie said:
Oooh, good to know!! I just weighed K2 with my empty journal cover and it weighs 17.7 oz. Oberon is saying the K2 cover will be slimmer and lighter than that. yay!! Nowhere near as heavy as what I was thinking based on things I've read....in fact, no heavier than the Amazon cover from what I can tell.

·
Registered
921 Posts
tamlyn2 said:
Ok, I posted on the Oberon velcro fits post that I tried converting my Oberon Journal Cover that I had originally converted into a K1 Cover into a K2 Cover using the Amazon K2 cover. I'm please with the results!
Looks great with that journal. I'd just be concerned about the thickness when I folded the cover back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will say, I don't tend to fold my cover back, so the thickness isn't a problem for me. I think If I'm in the mood to fold it back, I would be more likely just to use the Amazon K2 cover on it's own.  I like the Oberon in combination with the Amazon cover because of the added protection, the Amazon journal alone feels a bit flimsy for protecting the e-ink screen.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Patrizia said:
wow.. I have no words
I really like it too and you can get the journal with the cool buttons on it. I like her idea if she wants to fold it back, just take it out. That way you still have a cover on it. I have the amazon cover now and really think I'm going to borrow her idea here. I was waiting to see what Oberon meant by concentrating on their buttons anyway and for me this seems to take care of it. I too have been saying in the other threads that I really like my Amazon cover, just wished it did have a little more padding to protect it. This would take care of that concern for me. Plus I could get the design and color I really want too. I'm really excited about this option. Thanks for posting your pics with it.

·
Registered
921 Posts
On top of everything I said above, it cost is even cheaper.  The journals are only 69.50.  I know it's not a big deal, but hey a fact is a fact.

·
Registered
921 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Kevin, If you add in the cost of the Amazon cover it takes it up to $99.49 (the Amazon cover is $29.99) plus shipping for each cover.

That just looks like it would be really heavy and bulky. I'm happy to see it works for those who want to go that route though.
Right but I was probably going to get an Oberon anyway and I already have the amazon cover. I hear ya though, but for me, at least I can get the design I want (I really like the "greenman" design and I can get it in the color I want. Plus get the cool button. Just seems like a good option for me and I get that extra protection I was wanting. I agree the whole thing may be cumbersome, but I think I can make it work. I just really like the idea of getting that design I've really been wanting and hoping they included, but I know they can't make them all so when I saw this I got excited. lol. I need to quit getting excited and quit spending all this money. But that's why I like working a little extra when I want stuff like this.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I think it looks a little bulky too, but we have another member here (PraiseGod13, I believe) who has been using the original Kindle cover inside her Oberon journal for months and loves it. I could never figure out out how she made that work since I couldn't make the original cover work for beans. But....she figured it out so good for her! But this new Amazon cover holds the Kindle so well and using the journal cover seems to work quite well with the naturally "flapping Kindle" feature.

I have decided not to change my Roof of Heaven K2 cover order but I am keeping a close eye on all these developments.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
kevin63 said:
I need to quit getting excited and quit spending all this money. But that's why I like working a little extra when I want stuff like this.
They used to call us "appliance nurses." Now we are the 2009 version, "Kindle accessory nurses." Sigh...how far we have come. ;D ;D

L

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
luvmy4brats said:
Kevin, If you add in the cost of the Amazon cover it takes it up to $99.49 (the Amazon cover is $29.99) plus shipping for each cover.

That just looks like it would be really heavy and bulky. I'm happy to see it works for those who want to go that route though.
I agree, the initial cost is actually more than the Oberon Kindle cover, so this is really for someone that wants the hinge look, or for me it's a cost savings down the road to know I can order different journals with all the cool buttons and color combos with a little less cost down the road. I love so many of the Oberon designs, that this way I can buy lots of Oberons...with less guilt LOL

·
Registered
780 Posts
I just got the Forest journal in green and have put my K2 in it using velcro spots on the back of the K2 and on the pocket part of the journal. So far so good it feels secure enough but time will tell whether this will work or not. The cover is still a bit stiff and I think I will want to put some padding on the front cover to protect the screen.

Lynn L

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've actually been using this journal cover on my K1...he's looking a little jealous that Winchester is wearing his cover, so I've got a Purple roof of heaven Cover on order for Win, he's just borrowing the journal cover. Now I'm just gazing longingly at the Maple journal cover with the maple leaf button...ah love..true love.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lynn said:
I just got the Forest journal in green and have put my K2 in it using velcro spots on the back of the K2 and on the pocket part of the journal. So far so good it feels secure enough but time will tell whether this will work or not. The cover is still a bit stiff and I think I will want to put some padding on the front cover to protect the screen.

Lynn L
So yours is just in the empty journal cover? That would definitely reduce the weight. You could put a bit of plastic or card stock in the front sleeve to stiffen it a bit for protection. I bet the Forest journal is beautiful. I got that one in a checkbook cover and love it!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
tamlyn2 said:
I've actually been using this journal cover on my K1...he's looking a little jealous that Winchester is wearing his cover, so I've got a Purple roof of heaven Cover on order for Win, he's just borrowing the journal cover. Now I'm just gazing longingly at the Maple journal cover with the maple leaf button...ah love..true love.
I am glad to know I am not the only one who has Kindles that talk to each other. When I let Hugh try on Sir William's Oberon coat yesterday, I got an earful. Someone even commented on the picture, wondering if Sir W. was in the background crying in shame; actually, he was mortified that I posted a picture on the Internet that shows his bare bottom -- and here I go posting it again. Oh well, Hugh will get a new coat soon enough, right now he is wearing his Amazon tuxedo and Sir W. is back in his Oberon cover where he belongs.

To be honest, I think many of us are losing our marbles, but there are worse ways to go nuts. ;D ;D

L

·
Registered
126 Posts
tamlyn2 said:
Ok, I posted on the Oberon velcro fits post that I tried converting my Oberon Journal Cover that I had originally converted into a K1 Cover into a K2 Cover using the Amazon K2 cover. I'm pleased with the results!
That...that is just wrong. Like "New Coke" kinda wrong.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts