Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Oberon K2 Cover and Oberon Journal. I took apart the Amazon cover and insert the inside of Amazon Hinge cover inside the journal. First of all, I think the journal is a quarter of an inch wider then the K2 cover eventhough it stated on the Oberon site that both are 6 in wide, the journal is half an inch longer then the K2 cover. The journal is no thicker then the K2 cover with the inner hinge insert. I took a picture of the K2 & journal together side by side and the K2 is actually a little thicker. There are 2 pictures of the Amazon cover when I took it apart. The journal and the inner of the Amazon cover does fold back. If one so choose, you can glue the middle of the cover to the journal. I decided not to glue it together because I will have multiple journals and I can just swap the inner hinge piece without having to buy another Amazon cover. It stays put without having to glue it. I like it so much that I will be selling my red RG K2 cover to get a red RG journal instead. So if anyone want a good deal on the red RG with corners, I will be selling it in the Sell & Buy section of this board so I can order the journal. It's only an hour old! Like I said, the journal is a little wider and a half an inch longer then the K2 cover but not thicker even with the inside of the amazon hinge cover insert inside of it. If you really like the Amazon hinge system and Oberon, and you don't mind the extra length then this is a perfect solution!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
frog2 said:
The Oberon K2 cover has some padding to protect the screen. Is the lack of padding a problem when using the journal with the Amazon hinge liner?
No it's not a problem. The inside leather with the Amazon cover inserted is soft and cushy. Plus I have a Sony PRS-505 for over a year and no separate padding on the screen, just leather and much thinner then the Amazon hinge cover with no problem, so I was not concerned. Here's a picture of my PRS-505 and K1 before I sold it for the K2!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you for posting this information.  Good to know. 

Now....if you'll just go buy a Levenger journal and a Coach 6X9 planner and let me know how the insert fits in those............... ;D  I'm kidding, I'm kidding.  Well, kind of kidding. ;)

Deb

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Lilly: Thanks for all the pics. I just got a Pond Journal and took the insert out of my Amazon cover out and put it inside the Journal like you did. I am not going to glue it in either. In case I decided to buy another Journal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anne said:
Lilly: Thanks for all the pics. I just got a Pond Journal and took the insert of my Amazon cover out and put it inside the Journal like you did. I am not going to glue it in either. In case I decided to buy another Journal.
I'm glad you like it as much as me Anne.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Lilly - I just ordered a red Dragon Roost Journal to use with the Amazon cover. I prefer this design to the Sky Dragon K2 cover. I like your idea as it would be much less bulky than inserting the entire Amazon cover into the journal, as Oberon depicts on their website. Is the interior felt portion of the Amazon cover just glued to the leather outer portion? Can you provide a little detail on how you removed it? Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tblake, it's easy to separate.  It's just glued together.  Start in the corners and once it separates, it just come apart easily.  You can easily glue the inner binding of the Amazon hinge cover to the binding of the Journal; I chose not to because I will have 2 journals.  I believe you can get that special fabric glue from a fabric store that LunarEarthMama used call Liquid Stitch.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since I sold my red River Garden K2 cover because I prefer the Sun journal with the Amazon stock cover inner inserted inside the journal.  Instead of buying another large red River Garden journal for my K2, I decided to buy a small red River garden journal for My Sony PRS-505; but I had a question because the Sony PRS-505 is 6.9 X 4.8 inches and the small journal is listed on Oberon site at 7 X 5 inches but I've also seen it listed as 7 X 4.75 inches which would make it to small for the PRS-505.  So I sent Oberon an e-mail wanting to know if my Sony PRS-505 would fit inside the small journal and I found out that they will be making Sony covers!  Yippee, now I don't have to buy 2 covers for my K2 just because I want both the Sun & RG.  I can now buy the red RG for my Sony! ;D 

"Dear Lilly, the small journal might be too tight for the PRS-505 but we’re working on covers for the Sony readers. We are trying to make something that will be compatible for both the 505 and the new 700 models. We will know a lot more about this next week. If you could check back with us in mid to late April, we may even have a working cover by then on our site or you could email us for an update. Thanks for contacting us!! Becca"

·
Registered
117 Posts
Lilly-

How does the clasp on the Oberon journal compare to the K2 cover?
I know that I'd want something really secure to hold the case shut so that the Kindle would be safe.

I appreciate your input on the journal information. Do the hinges hold it in well too?

Thanks~

·
Registered
918 Posts
Does anyone know if I can put the entire amazon cover inside the journal? And what size is the journal? Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Flower it stays close.  You have to wind the the string around the button.  I feel it's secure because there's extra space in all 3 corners.  Also because I carry my Kindle in a bag that I take to the train station for my daily work commute, I have it in one of those Belkin's mini laptop case; that's also because I want to protect the Oberon cover also.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[
libros_lego said:
Does anyone know if I can put the entire amazon cover inside the journal? And what size is the journal? Thanks.
The journal is listed as 9 X 6 inches, I think it's a little wider then 6 inches; in comparison, the K2 covers are listed as 8.5 X 6 inches. Yes you can put the entire Amazon cover inside the journal. There's a thread on this board were a member did and it fit. There's also a pictures of that set-up on the Oberon's site; here's the link, http://www.oberondesign.com/store/kindleInfo3.php

·
Registered
918 Posts
Lilly said:
[
The journal is listed as 9 X 6 inches, I think it's a little wider then 6 inches; in comparison, the K2 covers are listed as 8.5 X 6 inches. Yes you can put the entire Amazon cover inside the journal. There's a thread on this board were several members did and it fit. There's also a pictures of that set-up on the Oberon's site; here's the link, http://www.oberondesign.com/store/kindleInfo3.php
Thanks a lot Lilly! I really appreciate it! ;D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts