Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my new Kindle 2 for a week.  I'm an avid reader & web designer/developer who programmed my first computer 38 years ago.  (Yes, really.)  I swore I would never want to read a book on anything other than paper.  Not true any more!  Anyway ...

I am about to order an Oberon cover and would love to know which you prefer & why -- velcro vs corners.

Thanks in advance!

Robyn

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome, Robyn! Velcro or corners is such an individual choice. Some do not like the idea of sticking anything to the back of their Kindle, or feel it is easier to remove from the corners so that is their option. Many others like the "floating" look of the Kindle when used with the Velcro cover. I myself prefer the Velcro and have no trouble accessing the switches on the back of my K1. I do feel that you can't really go wrong with either Oberon cover.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I have the corners and really like them.  It feels very secure.  I'm thinking that someone along the way has tried both, but I can't recall who that person is. 
Good luck with your decision.  Like intinst says, you can't go wrong whichever style you decide.
deb

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I think it is Luvmy4brats that has had both kinds of covers, I'll see if I can find her post about it.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
It was LuckyRainbow, who no longer posts here, sorry.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
You're right.  And her posts aren't available for review either. 
deb

·
Registered
137 Posts
I strongly prefer corners. I had a very bad experience with velcro on a Strangedog cover, and will not try it again. The look of the Kindle "floating" is very cool, but I don't want to have to tug hard to separate my Kindle from the cover, and with velcro that is needed. A lot of Kindle owners love their velcro covers though, so they have found a way to separate the two layers of velcro without pulling too hard on the Kindle itself. I couldn't find a way to do that. Besides, the corners are easy to use, it's easy to move the K around, and there's no problem with access to anything. For me, it's an easy call: corners!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have an Oberon with corners.  I do like the look of the floating Kindle, but did not want to put velcro directly on my K.  There are people who have found that having a skin on the kindle means that they do not have to put the sticky velcro directly on their investment.  I do not have a skin and don't have a need for one.  *shrugs*

intinst is right; it is a very personal choice.  Good luck and let us know what you decide!  :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have an Oberon cover and chose corners.  As some of the earlier posts have mentioned, I too, do not want to affix the velcro to either the naked kindle or even a skin.  Very subjective; it is truly a matter of personal choice.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I have had two K1s with velcro and got a corner cover for my K2. While the velcro worked fine and looked cool (the floating aspect), I have come to prefer the corners. Interestingly, the Oberon folks have announced that the covers they will make for the DX will be corners only, no velcro option.

L

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Don't shoot me... but for a little extra money there's a third option which I love due to disliking both velcro and corners.  You can get the Amazon $30 Leather Cover and then get a Large Journal to slip it into.  That way you have an Oberon cover with the clip system ><

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have the velcro for the K1 but for my K2 all of my Oberons have corners.. I find that I take it out more due to the thinness of it.. the corners are VERY secure, also if you are getting the DX, the velcro option will not be on that particular model :)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
intinst said:
I think it is Luvmy4brats that has had both kinds of covers, I'll see if I can find her post about it.
You're right, I've had both. I personally prefer the velcro. I had the velcro for my K1 and decided to get corners when I got my K2. I thought I would read it oout of the cover more often than I actually do. I've decided the corners distract me against my white and purple skin

I have the corners on my ROH right now, but plan on taking it to a shoe repair shop and having them sew on some velcro for me. I'm waiting until I get a new Oberon with velcro, so that I can have them match up where it is on both. I'll be getting one of the new Sky blue ones in either Butterfly or Hummingbird, or maybe Dragonfly. I really can't make up my mind.

BTW, the velcro comes off the back of the Kindle really easy. No residue at all.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I like the corners on my Oberon kindle cover.  I have a dark skin on my Kindle and I don't notice the corner straps.  I know some don't like the corners.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have both versions for my K1 and prefer the corners over the velcro.  Mostly b/c I don't like the little "fuzzies" that come from the velcro.  If I order the new sky blue for K2 I'll definitely get corners.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I prefer velcro. A much cleaner look.  I have a skin on the back, so the velcro doesn't come in direct contact with the Kindle.  The velcro is secure enough that I've tested it by turning it upside down (over a soft sofa cushion) and moderately tried to shake it loose.  The velcro held firm.  I'm sure you could dislodge it from the velcro if you tried shaking it hard enough, but it's certainly secure enough for every day use.

Unfortunately, Oberon won't release a DX model with velcro.  Maybe now I get to see what all the talk about Noreve is about.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Scheherazade said:
Don't shoot me... but for a little extra money there's a third option which I love due to disliking both velcro and corners. You can get the Amazon $30 Leather Cover and then get a Large Journal to slip it into. That way you have an Oberon cover with the clip system ><
That was my first cover, I used the Amazon cover inside a large journal cover. Then I started seeing threads discussing the damage done to Kindles by the Amazon hinge so I switched to a Kindle cover with corners.

I loved my journal cover but it is amazing what a difference in size and feel the actual Kindle cover makes.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Hi and congrats on your Kindle!

I have the original Kindle, and I have the Oberon with Velcro.  I love the clean "floating" look of it.  It's very secure, and it removes easily if I need to access the back.  Some people don't like the idea of sticking something to the back of their Kindles - my reasoning is if I can stick a skin on it, I can stick Velcro on it.  If necessary, the velcro does come off without leaving any residue (we tried it when my husband decided he didn't care for the Oberon cover, which I'd given him first dibs on when I got it on eBay).  

But...if you think you'll frequently be reading your Kindle without the cover then the Velcro probably isn't the answer.  I always read with the Kindle in the cover, so that isn't an issue for me.  But if I did, the Velcro would probably annoy me.

In the end, it's an individual decision as far as what you like visually and how you'll use your Kindle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts