Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Kindle 2 doesn't come with any cover, I'm wondering which one to get. I've looked at the M-edge and I like what I see, the price is nice too because I'm REALLY hesitant to pay more than 29.99.

But then I saw some pictures of Oberon covers...specifically this really incredible blue cover. Can you guys enlighten me as to the qualities of one or the other? Is an Oberon enough protection?

I was thinking of a leisure suit because you can zip it and protect the Kindle from spills.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the Oberon for my K1 and love love love it!! I started with an MEdge and it was ok. I didn't like the way the inside edge where I held the MEdge seemed to get dirty. It did hold and protect the K1 well. The Oberon holds and protects the K1 very well, it stays clean and it is a work of art, it is sooo beautiful.

I am patiently  ;D waiting for Oberon to come out with covers for the K2. I may have to order one of the $29.99 covers from Amazon to dress my K2 until Oberon is ready!

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
If you are on a limited budget, go with the M-Edge and ask for the Oberon as a gift. The other benefit is that the M-Edge will be there when your Kindle arrives.

I have both. They both seemed to provide enough protection. I never dropped my Kindle in either cover to test this theory. Oberon has a wool covered pad that protects the screen which my M-Edge did not. I don't know if the new M-Edges have provided a pad.

I prefer my Oberon because it is gorgeous and feels wonderful. It is like I am carrying a work of art with me when I am carrying my Kindle.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Personally i'm content to wait for Oberon to come up with K2 covers.  I love my Oberon K1 cover.

I did order the basic cover with my K2, I don't want to go around with my Kindle exposed!  :eek:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The Oberon is more beautiful and better quality, no contest.  That said, if you're on a budget, or just don't want to spend the money, the M-Edge covers are perfectly nice and functional.  There's no way the Kindle (K1, at least) is coming out of either, so I'd say the protection is comparable for both.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
There are some folks who bought Oberon's and found that they did not like the feel of the leather. I am not trying to discourage you from buying one, I want to buy a second, but just letting you know that some people found the pebbly texture of the Oberon's annoying.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I really love my Oberon, so much in fact, it was harder to let go of it than my K1! I am selling both together and if all goes well with the sale I will go through with my K2 purchase. I may get a M edge but I may just wait for Oberon to come out with their version and use a padded case I already have till then.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I had the m-edge amd really liked it, but after getting the Oberon it is the better of the 2. The quality is so much higher. It is so soft and folds back so nicely. The m-edge is a good cover and will protect the Kindle. I don't think you can go wrong buying either one.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I had the m-edge amd really liked it, but after getting the Oberon it is the better of the 2. The quality is so much higher. It is so soft and folds back so nicely. The m-edge is a good cover and will protect the Kindle. I don't think you can go wrong buying either one.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had a question about the button on the front of the Oberon.  Does it get in the way?  It looks like it sticks out quite a bit and would make folding back a bit cumbersome.  I like to fold back my cover and hold my Kindle by both the left fold and the right edge.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
stargazer0725 said:
I had a question about the button on the front of the Oberon. Does it get in the way? It looks like it sticks out quite a bit and would make folding back a bit cumbersome. I like to fold back my cover and hold my Kindle by both the left fold and the right edge.
I have both and the craftsmanship of the Oberon is beautiful. I prefer the m-Edge because I don't like the wool piece in the Oberon, it catches everything, lint, fuzz, hair. I like the closure of the m-Edge better but the button on the Oberon does not keep it from folding back. It folds back nicely and is flat. I use them both. I thought with the Oberon being a higher end product the closure would be more than a button and piece of elastic but that may be all that would work. I ordered a m-Edge for my K2 but will eventually get another Oberon in a wrap around design. Somewhat disappointed with my choice of the DagonFly Pond.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I agree the Oberon covers sure look beautiful.  What are your thoughts on the fact that they use velcro or, with the corner straps, cover some of the buttons?  It kind of bothers me that a cover that is this expensive has these features which trouble me.  I'm tempted because of their beauty but hate the thought of glueing velcro to my Kindle.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I have the corners and love it. They hold Tavar perfectly. I rarely use the usb cord so hav ing that covered is not a problem for me. When I have used it, I simply slip that corner strap off.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Other posters have said that when it came time to remove the Velcro, it came off without leaving any residue.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Having purchased both, I prefer the smooth leather look, feel, and color of the M-Edge.  To me, the M-Edge is more business-like - comparable to a nice leather portfolio.  The Oberon has more of a personal journal feel to it.  It is definitely a personal preference unique to each buyer and both are of excellent quality.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
DD said:
I agree the Oberon covers sure look beautiful. What are your thoughts on the fact that they use velcro or, with the corner straps, cover some of the buttons? It kind of bothers me that a cover that is this expensive has these features which trouble me. I'm tempted because of their beauty but hate the thought of glueing velcro to my Kindle.
DD,

I was anti-velcro to begin with. But when it came down to choosing, I picked velcro over the corners because of the corners covering the buttons and usb port. I LOVED my Oberon cover (I sold it yesterday since I've sold my k1) and I will be ordering a new one as soon as I'm able. I am once again undecided whether to get the velcro or corners. This time, there won't be any buttons/ports that can be covered, but I got used to the floating look of the velcro.

If it helps, I removed the velcro before I sold my Kindle and I had no problems. No sticky gooey mess.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have both, and like them both.

One difference not already mentioned it that the front and back of the M-edge is stiff and does not bend/flex. The Oberon does not have stiff front and pack panels, they will flex/bend.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts