Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used the large journal option with the amazon cover?  if so how is the closure and different than the actual kindle cover? or is it easier if you only have use of 1 hand? how much heavier is it?  can they be used with the bb travel bags
thanks
Misty

·
Registered
921 Posts
mistyd107 said:
has anyone used the large journal option with the amazon cover? if so how is the closure and different than the actual kindle cover? or is it easier if you only have use of 1 hand? how much heavier is it? can they be used with the bb travel bags
thanks
Misty
before I switched to the Oberon Kindle cover, I did use the large journal with my Amazon cover. The closure that comes with the journal is a leather string that you wrap around and pull through. I switched that string out with an elastic hair bungee. After a while I just wanted to try the actual kindle cover from Oberon. I do like the the kindle cover better than the journal option, I (as probably several others), just wish the covers were available in other colors and designs, but I'm happy with the 2 I have (navy wave, and green forest). hope that helps.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I have not opted for this idea simply due to the weight issues.  If you use the Amazon cover intact, it's over 6 ounces by itself.  The Oberon K2 covers range from 8.5-9.6 ounces (presumably the variation is from the thickness of the leather hide used).  My Kindle + Oberon is over 20 ounces; add another 6 to that & you'll see that it becomes a rather hefty combination for a person with dexterity issues.  On a really good day, I can hold it easily, on an average to bad day I end up reading the Kindle outside the cover.

For persepective, I weighed an average hardcover recently and it came in at 17 ounces.

One other thing to note--The Kindle cover has additional space on the left side between the edge of the cover & the edge of the Kindle.  Based on pictures I've seen, using the journal, there's extra space on both sides, but more on the right.  This may be an issue if you're limited in which hand you can use, and by how much dexterity you have.

Because this is a very personal issue, you probably need to do some research before deciding.  Try the "search" function at the top of the page and type in both Oberon & Amazon, then search the accessories board only.  You'll come up with a ton of posts around this, it's been debated a number of times.

·
Registered
308 Posts
"For persepective, I weighed an average hardcover recently and it came in at 17 ounces."

This is why I am wondering how many people really will be able to handle a cover for the DX while reading. A platform I can understand but other than that I would think a sleeve case would be the way to go. The DX w/o a case is almost 19 ounces. When oberon comes out with covers they will have to be more than 10 ounces and m-edge has covers listed for the dx and say they are 13 ounces. Wow!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I really don't see too many people carrying a DX for their everyday reading, mostly on a work desk or propped up. But who knows?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Lisanr said:
"For persepective, I weighed an average hardcover recently and it came in at 17 ounces."

This is why I am wondering how many people really will be able to handle a cover for the DX while reading. A platform I can understand but other than that I would think a sleeve case would be the way to go. The DX w/o a case is almost 19 ounces. When oberon comes out with covers they will have to be more than 10 ounces and m-edge has covers listed for the dx and say they are 13 ounces. Wow!
I agree. I don't even read my K1 in the cover. I'm not planning on reading the DX in the cover except if I get the platform and it's in it's stand alone configuration.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I have pictures (don't I always?) of how mine looks with the Amazon $30 cover and Large Journal set up... I love doing it this way because it let me have the clip system with an Oberon cover. I loved their covers, but just didn't want to strap in my Kindle or velcro it, so this was my option. It does get a good bit heavier, but it is a good weight and makes it feel more like a book to me. The leather is nice and thick and you can see there is a lot of room on the sides in case it falls sideways that will buffer any bad blows.

It bends back on itself easily after getting the leather pliable for one handed reading. I think I prefer the leather cord closure to the bungee ones personally because it's easy to just unwrap without having to unsnap the bungy from the closure. Plus if you ever decide on a new cover you can still use your journal cover as a journal cover so it hasn't been wasted! You also get a lot more color and design options, at least I did at the time of buying it.

Edit: If you really like the bungee I would ask them if they could send you one of the bungees they use on the Kindle covers with your order. I've seen where people replaced the leather cord with the bungee on these journals pretty easily by just looping it through itself through the two holes in the back (which you can see on my skin picture below this post a bit).

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I just weighed mine... 10 ounces naked, 15 ounces in the Amazon Case, 23 ounces with the Amazon/Journal together.  I grabbed my first handy hardback book (650 pages) and it came in at 2 pounds (32 ounces).  A 375 page hardback book came in at 27 ounces.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Thanks! It's one I had done custom by decalgirl. They did a really good job with it and it was a lot faster than I thought! Here's the back of it, too...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.