Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is the thing. I like my purple butterlfy for kindle 2 and I like my Aspen too.

But I love Roof of Heaven actually both in MariGold and sky blue.

And I absolutely adore the Forest in green.

So this is the thing. My skin would probably look good with Forest in green too.

But MariGold and blue?

How do you solve these problems? Do you switch skins? Do you have different oberons? How do you decide when to use Which one?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Skins are very easy to change.  And if you do it carefully they can be reused. 
Also, DecalGirl has great sales on a pretty regular basis. 
deb

·
Registered
322 Posts
I recommend buying the cover you love, without trying to match it to a particular skin.  The skins are much less expensive and easier to replace - have fun!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I agree with buying the cover that you love. If, by chance, you find "the" skin that you love, then buy it, even if it doesn't "go" with your cover. Seldom if ever do you actually see your cover and skin at the same time. (I'm better at giving this advice than I am at taking it, but I love the Avenue of Trees in fern, and my first skin with my K2 was called "Stand Alone." It was the silhouette of a solitary tree on a hill against a fairly dark blue sky. I removed the skin when I got my AOT cover, and have used the Library skin, as well as my current "Red and Gold" skin. I still miss my "Stand Alone" skin.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I picked out my cover first and then found a skin (actually a couple of skins) that went with it.  Like Cindy said you seldom see the cover and skin at the same time so they don't have to match and there is no reason you can't have a cover and also a skin that you love.  I am just weird that way and like things to "match" in some way in my mind but I have seen skins that don't match the cover and its a nice surprise to see a contrast and also shows the owners personality coming through.

I say get what you love and just enjoy that you have made it personally yours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have several skins and covers and I switch when the mood strikes me :) Right on about the decalgirl discounts. They always have something going so I stock up during a good skin sale lol they are easy to replace however my fingers are not nimble enough to take them off and still reuse them :( Your kindle your choice and your options are endless Have Fun!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Or you could do what I did, design a skin with all your favorite colors, so it'll pretty much match whatever cover you want to use.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not bad ideas! I like matching.

Do you guys have more than one kindle? Do you use them for seperare things in that case?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I don't have more than 1 Kindle, but I do have a Kindle and a Nook.  I call my Nook my library book reader.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice, you use it in the library?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
No, I mean I borrow library books on it.  My local library has a pretty good selection, and I have a non-resident membership at the Philadelphia Library which has an excellent selection.  The Nook can read ePub and PDF library books.  Kindle would be perfection if it could do this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
See your problem... Just bought myself a red Oberon Hummingbird. My skin is the DecalGirl blue Tropical Moon... Love both, but they don't exactly match... Love the Stand Alone too, and that's also blue... So why didn't I just buy myself the Hummingbird in SkyBlue/Navy to match my skins? Because the red is just soo loovely! Aarrghh... The answer! I believe in love! Therefore I can mix, even if it doesn't match  ;D

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Trulte said:
See your problem... Just bought myself a red Oberon Hummingbird. My skin is the DecalGirl blue Tropical Moon... Love both, but they don't exactly match... Love the Stand Alone too, and that's also blue... So why didn't I just buy myself the Hummingbird in SkyBlue/Navy to match my skins? Because the red is just soo loovely! Aarrghh... The answer! I believe in love! Therefore I can mix, even if it doesn't match ;D
So cute, and you're absolutely right.
deb

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Decalgirl has so many skins and they add more all the time so you might find one you love that goes with all the purple, gold and green or purple, blue, green.  But switching them out can be fun as well.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hm yeah I guess I am a little ocd maybe. I like the aspen skin, but I may begin to be a little tired of it. Is it possible to create your own skin? And how?
I think Aspen could go with green,blue and of course purple, but what about Marigold? Don't know. Does it look really yellow (like I want it too)? It might be too much orange on this skin.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Winter9 said:
hm yeah I guess I am a little ocd maybe. I like the aspen skin, but I may begin to be a little tired of it. Is it possible to create your own skin? And how?
I think Aspen could go with green,blue and of course purple, but what about Marigold? Don't know. Does it look really yellow (like I want it too)? It might be too much orange on this skin.
Yes you can design your own skin. The only one I'm familiar with is Decal Girl. They will send you a template to use for designing your own. But the template they send has no cut lines on it so it's hard to guess where to place your elements. I have a template with approximate cut lines on it, they were added by someone else. I use Photoshop Elements, open the template there and then place elements on it to my liking. Then, I send an email to Decal Girl with the design attached (as a JPEG file) and tell them what device I want the skin made for. They then respond with the order form, you fill that out, send the payment, and they make the skin for you. It costs $5 for the customization, and I always get the Matte finish, which is another $5, so it's a total of $25.00.

If you are interested, send me a PM with your email address and I'll email you the template.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Winter9 said:
I thought someone posted that they had a Marigold Oberon and the color was more "pumpkin". It might be in the Oberon picture thread.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was more pumpkin inside I Think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts