Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we only have a couple of people here who have mentioned purchasing this item, and I can't find anything within our previous weighing discussions on it. If you specifically have the one for the K2, I'd love to know how many ounces it comes out to. Shipping weight shows as 8.8 ounces, but there's also a number of reviews that mention some serious excess packaging, so I'm guessing it's a bit lighter than that. I'm leaning heavily towards this as an alternate travel case, but weight for me is a crucial issue right now.

Sleeve for the Amazon Kindle 2

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a blue croc style one by this company. It is a rigid design and protects the kindle better than any other sleeve I have seen. I am guessing its about 6-7 ounces, very slim design, but it is for storing the kindle if you like to read the kindle with out a case. This isn't a cover.

I have also recently bought this cover. Sounds very light and I should receive it by the end of the week. I like the slip in design. I was hoping someone would make something like this. Also its listed at $50 but they had misprinted it as $21 when I ordered so I get it for $30 off which was a great deal!

Amazon Kindle 2 Flip Case (Jet Black Fiber)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did receive the Octovo sleeve today & posted a review on the Review board. http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,6486.0.html

In a nutshell--at 2.9 ounces, it's the lightest thing out there that we've seen an actual weight on. The quality is about what you'd expect for $25 (so-so), and while it definitely is more than adequate protection for the K2, the unit I received is actually too snug. It's darn near impossible to remove the Kindle even using one hand to hold it & one to pull the Kindle out--I end up having to use my left hand to brace it against my torso while using my right hand to remove the K2. As I haven't seen any complaints on this in the reviews, I'm assuming the problem is limited to this particular one, but it doesn't make me feel great about returning it to try again.

I'm going to carry it around for a couple of days before deciding for certain, but I suspect it's going back. If so, I'll try the Waterfield Slip Case next.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Victoria- With my sleeve from Octo (looks pretty much the same concept except leather croc) for some reason it literally has a front and a back although you can't tell. I put it in on the one side and it was just perfect. Snug but easy to remove. The other way and it took 2 of us to pull the kindle out!

·
Registered
70 Posts
im still waiting for mine, im currently in south america and my wife is HOPEFULLY!!!  going to fed ex it today...  ill post as soon as i get it

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lisanr said:
Victoria- With my sleeve from Octo (looks pretty much the same concept except leather croc) for some reason it literally has a front and a back although you can't tell. I put it in on the one side and it was just perfect. Snug but easy to remove. The other way and it took 2 of us to pull the kindle out!
LOL--I assumed at first it was user error on my part! I actually tried it with the front facing each direction, and even put it in upside down (with the power port facing the opening). No difference. But I did note that you could actually charge it in the case if you got into the habit of leaving the power port exposed. Tried it again last night for a bit and I'm thinking I'll just have to send it back. If I'd bought it for any other reason than disability, it would be fine, but since part of the problem is with my hands, this just isn't going to work for me. And I'm too concerned that a second one will have the same issue.

Still thinking it through....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts