Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so we had a few of these come up in the "married to a non-reader" thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread.

Do you, or someone you know, have limited/specific tastes in books? For example, only read a single author or genre?

I have a friend who will only read nonfiction. There's nothing really wrong with that, it's just a little quirky. My fiance will only read Clive Cussler books.

Personally, I'll read almost anything. The only thing I don't really enjoy are romance novels.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My boyfriend, as I mentioned in the other thread, doesn't read much. What books he does choose to read usually have to do with math--statistics mostly. In fact, we have completely opposite tastes. He also really loved The Da Vinci Code, and once he read that, there were a few months where he read anything that had to do with Da Vinci.

My tastes tend to be broader but I have never read The Da Vinci Code or any book dealing with statistics. ;D

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
I'm not a voracious reader like most here.  I'm picky.  (Same with movies.)  Not that I necessarily dislike fiction, but I do read almost exclusively non-fiction.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I won't read "cozies". [Very genteel mysteries]. I read Agatha Christie's books when I was very young and haven't had the inclination to read another of the ilk since. I'm told she is considered too hard edged to be a true cozie author.

PS. I thought this was going to be another Odd Thomas thread! :D

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
My DIL only reads Nicholas Sparks, my hubby only read tech manuals and computer language books, my DS only reads sci-fi and fantasy, or a combination of the 2.

I read just about anything except Harlequin romance.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don't think I have odd taste in books (but it's possible that you should consider the source).  Most people just think it's odd that I prefer books to humans.

Normally I would say that books talk back less, except that mine don't. They usually win the argument. I also have a sneaking suspicion that my books rearrange themselves in my library while I'm gone.  I have not yet figured out the order in which they have placed themselves. 

I generally read fiction.  I don't care for non-fiction for the same reason that I don't watch reality shows on TV.  And mostly I only read things that are funny.  So I don't read authors like Clive Cussler or Patricia Cornwall or Stephen King.  I'm sure all of those people are great, but I much prefer the pace of Alexander McCall Smith and the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.
~robin

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Wells83 said:
My tastes tend to be broader but I have never read The Da Vinci Code or any book dealing with statistics. ;D
Trust me, you don't need to love statistics to enjoy The DaVinci Code.

Back on topic, I'm not very picky about books. I was the kid who read the cereal box out of desperation when my parents wouldn't let me bring a book to the table!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts