Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first novel just went online on Amazon, and of course I was thrilled to check it out. To my surprise the price that Amazon.com charges is completely botched! It's charging something like 45% above the list price, whereas Amazon UK and DE are completely within normal parameters! Has anybody else made any experiences of that kind? Here's the link, by the way.

I've already sent a query to KDP, but I thought asking around wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Hmmm... not sure, but it looks like it might be across the board... try changing your region (log out, go to the Kindle store, there should be a drop down list at the top of the left-hand menu box) to the US and see if the price changes for you.

Seems a little too steep to be just VAT... if it's a wireless service surcharge of some sort for your region (usually a straight US$2 though), you'll get a weaselly answer from Amazon that explains nothing while implying that you're a bit of a twit if you can't work it out for yourself... *snort*

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nomesque said:
Hmmm... not sure, but it looks like it might be across the board... try changing your region (log out, go to the Kindle store, there should be a drop down list at the top of the left-hand menu box) to the US and see if the price changes for you.

Seems a little too steep to be just VAT... if it's a wireless service surcharge of some sort for your region (usually a straight US$2 though), you'll get a weaselly answer from Amazon that explains nothing while implying that you're a bit of a twit if you can't work it out for yourself... *snort*
Yeah, that pretty much solves it. I naively believed that when I checked my book on Amazon.com it would automatically give me the price I expect for a delivery on the US market... because, you know, Amazon.COM. Turns out I got the US price for a delivery to Germany, so... tempest in a tea cup. Thanks nomesque, that solves it. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
I did the exact same thing. I spent the first week thinking they'd added VAT to my price selection, when really, it was just Amazon.com recognising me as British and showing me the VAT retail price for a Brit.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
SPBreit said:
Yeah, that pretty much solves it. I naively believed that when I checked my book on Amazon.com it would automatically give me the price I expect for a delivery on the US market... because, you know, Amazon.COM. Turns out I got the US price for a delivery to Germany, so... tempest in a tea cup. Thanks nomesque, that solves it. :)
You're welcome, and I'm glad it was something relatively simple. Amazon's not the easiest retailer to figure out. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts