Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I really got into astrology this year. Do you believe in astrology and waiting for a more optimal time to start a creative project?

I have put off publishing for a long time. I needed to save some money, learn more about publishing and deal with other personal stuff. Now with the way things are in the world and having no work, I have to get creative and earn some money online. Two astrologers adviced me to put off any creative projects until 2021.

I cannot afford to risk spending money and not making that money back, at least the investment money.

What do you think?

Registered
BellaJames said:
I really got into astrology this year. Do you believe in astrology and waiting for a more optimal time to start a creative project?

I have put off publishing for a long time. I needed to save some money, learn more about publishing and deal with other personal stuff. Now with the way things are in the world and having no work, I have to get creative and earn some money online. Two astrologers adviced me to put off any creative projects until 2021.

I cannot afford to risk spending money and not making that money back, at least the investment money.

What do you think?
Personally, I don't believe in astrology and I think, all other things being equal, the optimum time to start a new project is always now.

Registered
I usually operate on a system of "what feels right"聽 But does going by my gut have to do with astrology?聽 Who knows, right?聽 As long as I'm positive about a project, then I'm never too concerned where it comes from.聽 But that's just me聽 :D

Honestly though, I'd be a little skeptical of anything that reinforces a feeling of not doing something.聽 There's always going to be a hundred reasons to not do something, but there can only be one reason to do it: because you'd love doing it.聽 Everyone's situation will be different, and I don't mean to ever say what you should do.聽 But if you're looking for input, then the only one I'd have to give is that there will always be something telling you to put it off until later, and the only way to get it done is to someday go for it anyways.

Registered
鈥淒o you believe in astrology?鈥

No. Day after day, my horoscope tells me of all the fantastic things that are going to happen for me. I鈥檓 still waiting.

I just read it for fun. I mean, it鈥檚 a lot more cheerful than all the news in the paper, so...

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for your honest answers. I am itching to get writing now and my sensible head is telling me to get on with it now.

I have a christmas short romance planned out and I don't want to miss the opportunity to get some feedback and maybe a few odd sales on it.

It seems a lot of people do follow astrology, so I think it might be not only should you follow the advice, but if you decide to follow it...how do you interpret it?

Personally, I would launch as soon as I type the end and do a quick edit. LOL聽 Probably not the best advice either.聽 So maybe, ask yourself do you think you should wait to start?聽 Wait to launch?聽 Wait to pay for promotions?聽 Wait to launch a long series (a larger project)?聽 Etc.

If you have a Christmas book ready for this holiday season, you should probably decide if YOU are ready.聽 If you are, I say go for it and best of luck with this and all future projects!聽 :)

ETA:聽 I know what you mean about lack of money but more time.聽 I think we all have to balance our resources and writing is something that takes time.聽 I know you read a lot, so I would guess you are very in tune with your market.聽 That's a huge advantage!

Registered
If you have to make money NOW, publishing is likely not the right move, so maybe in that way they're right. This is especially true if you're a newbie author. The likelihood of striking gold on your first ever release and in a timely manner is slim. But putting off creative projects entirely seems unadvisable. You can still write and prepare for a planned release schedule in 2021 or beyond.

You can do content writing, VA work, customer support, and so on online and without a huge barrier to entry. (Making good money with content writing does have a sizable and elusive barrier, but it's also able to be brute-forced with experience and luck.) But if you're in "I need to make a living wage now" mode, choosing today to publish won't get you to that finish line. It might in the future, after some consistent work and publishing, but it's not entirely an industry that responds quickly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
EmberKent said:
If you have to make money NOW, publishing is likely not the right move, so maybe in that way they're right. This is especially true if you're a newbie author. The likelihood of striking gold on your first ever release and in a timely manner is slim. But putting off creative projects entirely seems unadvisable. You can still write and prepare for a planned release schedule in 2021 or beyond.

You can do content writing, VA work, customer support, and so on online and without a huge barrier to entry. (Making good money with content writing does have a sizable and elusive barrier, but it's also able to be brute-forced with experience and luck.) But if you're in "I need to make a living wage now" mode, choosing today to publish won't get you to that finish line. It might in the future, after some consistent work and publishing, but it's not entirely an industry that responds quickly.
I am starting up on Etsy to make printables. I make a little money with survey sites and I have some savings. Not a lot but some. I am looking for others ways to make money at home too. Typing and transcribing are possibilites.

Writing romance books would not be my only income.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] said:
It seems a lot of people do follow astrology, so I think it might be not only should you follow the advice, but if you decide to follow it...how do you interpret it?

Personally, I would launch as soon as I type the end and do a quick edit. LOL Probably not the best advice either. So maybe, ask yourself do you think you should wait to start? Wait to launch? Wait to pay for promotions? Wait to launch a long series (a larger project)? Etc.

If you have a Christmas book ready for this holiday season, you should probably decide if YOU are ready. If you are, I say go for it and best of luck with this and all future projects! :)

ETA: I know what you mean about lack of money but more time. I think we all have to balance our resources and writing is something that takes time. I know you read a lot, so I would guess you are very in tune with your market. That's a huge advantage!
Thank you. :D Yes I have spent a lot of time on this forum learning about self publishing, with the podcasts and YT channels I listen to I should know how to write a book on self publishing by now.

Registered
I think reading horoscopes can be fun but ultimately it's a bunch of bunk. Unfortunately, its sounds like rationalizing not doing the work. That's just me, though. I always do the work.

Registered
I think if you're itching to write something you've already planned out, you should just write. I love astrology. I think there's something to it, but like everything that tries to answer questions that have none it's an inexact art. It can be startlingly accurate and specific, depending on the source, but if I had a gut feeling or felt a pull to do something I'd listen to myself first and foremost.

Registered
BellaJames said:

What do you think?
i think your astrologer is correct & that projects where you need to earn back significant income should be delayed until 2021

my astrology is amateur hour but as a wise man once said, you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

in any event, the whole point of using astrology is to time things in accord with the stars, my suspicion is the astrologers are not telling you not to write, they're advising you about when to publish to the wider world

a book's birthday is its RELEASE date, not the date you start writing

Registered
No. I won't say it's bunk, but as possibly "bunk" things go, Numerology is a lot more fun.

Registered
nightwork has a point. It might be your astrologers are being practical and feel any business ventures are best launched in a hopefully saner time when we鈥檝e got the virus under better control, most people are vaccinated, and people are less afraid of dying or giving the disease to the more vulnerable.

You can still write the books now and wait to release them.

If your astrologers are telling you to not even start writing now, I鈥檇 ditch them and listen to us instead.

Registered
No. (Answer to subject question.)

Like others have said, it sounds putting things off because of whatever superstitious explanation of "it's not the right time because the sky says so" is just a form of procrastination. If you're itching to write it, for pete's sake, write it. Then analyze when the optimal time to publish it is based on when it's ready, market conditions, how much money you can put into it, etc.--real reasons, not superstition.

Registered
I'd go by your own feelings and assessments of the marketplace over anything like astrology.

Registered
Absolutely no. Astrology may be fine for some games and entertainment. You start when you're ready, and you're ready when you don't procrastinate, and therefore you're ready today if you want to start.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts