Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've discussed this as a group, and have decided to generally let the flow of conversations drift off-topic in threads. We recognize that some threads benefit from being kept on-topic, but that it's not crucial for most threads. Where we think it's warranted, we'll post a polite request to try to pull the thread back on-topic. In rare cases where we decide that a thread requires it, or where an off-topic series of posts has taken on an interesting life of its own, we may split the thread into two.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Where I've noticed this...and for the life of me can't understand why...is when someone posts something regarding a conservative (such as Pres. Bush) using a Kindle.  The moderators seemed to jump in and start posting the most unrelated and in some cases inane comments in what I assume is an effort to keep the flaming down. 

If Kindle users are mature adults (and at $359 a throw, they should be for the most part), why is this necessary?  Maybe they are indeed adults, but not "mature" ones in all cases.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
^ I can think of one thread in particular where that happened. We've had some threads dissolve into political rhetoric, and mods (and members) try different techniques to discourage that.

Sometimes it's not necessary... but often it is, and it just has evolved to the point where we don't allow most threads on politics, religion, or operating systems. Fortunately we have a lot of other things to talk about.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Looks like we have lost a Shakespeare level member.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
We've lost several members in the last several months. Fortunately, we've gained a whole lot more.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
How many had over 4000 posts?

·
Registered
731 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
We've lost several members in the last several months. Fortunately, we've gained a whole lot more.
What definition of "lost" is being used here? I'm afraid they are several of us who are about to be involuntarily "lost".

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
stopped posting = name removed from membership role?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
We're talking about other members who have simply stopped posting in the last few months.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
No, just stopped posting.

= removed from member roles

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Ah, I wasn't sure what you were referring to, intinst. Until you posted that graphic, I didn't realize that our forum software doesn't show banned members in our stats pages.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Maybe I'm the one whose confused? I was referring to other people who have simply stopped posting... Like Dori, who hasn't posted since 2/9.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Keeping posts on topic seems good sense to me. I'll see a thread and want to read it for the information and then it goes off on a wild tangent of banter having nothing to do with the subject matter at hand. After trying to sift through pages of that, I tend to give up and think, Forget about it.

I thought when posts veered off topic, we were told about it in a gentle manner. I remember when I heard about the One Year Bible in the Christian Devotional Books section. After a few of us bought the book, we started discussing it in that thread since we heard about it there. Well, I realized we were getting off topic of the thread's original intent. So I sent Betsy a personal message and asked if it would be best for us to start our own thread. I had realized that when someone wanted to read the Christian Devotional Books thread, many weren't looking to hear comments about the One Year Bible's daily reading.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts