Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an as yet unpublished 5000 word story (fully edited and proofread) which is a sequel to the first Science Fiction story ever written! I wrote it two years ago and have been debating what to do with it.

I could write more shorts and come up with a collection, in time. Or I could publish it as a one-off for 99c, though I'm not sure whether that's the done thing.

However, it occurred to me that I could use it in a promotional sense. If you can provide a free copy of a book on review sites without violating Amazon's TOS, could you not instead offer a free, unpublished story as a thank-you on your website?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Many authors offer unpublished content as incentive for signing up to their newsletter. Usually this is something like a character novella, or a prequel or epilogue or some sort. It's a viable option and one you should explore if you already have the content ready and intend on utilizing your newsletter to its fullest extent.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not thinking of a newsletter at the moment because there are linking issues with my website I am still trying to resolve. I was thinking more of inviting reviews on my upcoming release and offering the 5000-word short as a thank-you.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Steer clear of incentivising reviews. A free ARC with an invitation to review it is OK, but that's about the limit.

I have a 5000 word short. It was the first fiction I actually published. It works very well as a permafree and as a bonus edition (with background matter) on ProlificWorks etc.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would definitely consider using this as a reader magnet. You should get a newsletter going with subscribers/fans. It's helpful for sales and, also, for offering free ARC copies for honest reviews. It would serve you better to offer it for your newsletter and then offer free copies for ARCs.

So far, I've failed miserably with short stories. But if I had one and didn't care to sell, I'd offer it on my website as a magnet for subscribers for sure. And I'd use it on Story Origin and Bookfunnel.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Oh, one more thing, Alondo. You don't have to have a newsletter linked direct to your website yet. Just get connected with Mailchimp or mailerlite for free and work with readers there. You can link to your website later.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did look at inkitt, and that's still a possibility.

However, I'm not sure I understand why offering a free ARC would be kosher, but a free short story wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, one more thing, Alondo. You don't have to have a newsletter linked direct to your website yet. Just get connected with Mailchimp or mailerlite for free and work with readers there. You can link to your website later.
Well there's an issue there because my existing mailing list is partly on Weebly and partly with Sendfox, but I can't connect Sendfox to Weebly to combine the list. Some deep computer-related issue. Waiting for a reply from Weebly, but they're not very responsive.

Until I can fix it, I can't get people to sign up for the newsletter from the website. It's been very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm not sure I understand why offering a free ARC would be kosher, but a free short story wouldn't.
I may have misunderstood what you said initially, so sorry if that is the case. But basically, it is not OK to offer something as a reward for a review. So giving out an ARC with no strings attached is acceptable; giving someone another short story to say thank you for reviewing is not. It's all about the perception of influence over the review. Strictly, a review written by someone who got a free ARC should declare that fact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts