Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm not the only one with this problem, and I if I am, oh, that sucks...for me. Okay, so this is the problem: I can't stop watching that Kindle DX video on Amazon's Kindle DX page. I would wake up in the morning, brush my teeth, do my 400-rep pushup workourt for 60 minutes, take a shower after pure exhaustion, get changed, and...BOOM...I go to Amazon's page and watch the freakin' video. After watching the video, I would start to read from my Kindle (as you may have already noticed, they don't call it Kindle 2 anymore) or DTB, and...BOOM...I watch the video again. I'm almost beginning to think that I know the people there. That's it! They hired a consumer psychologist to suck me (us) in! I know it. I know it. I know it.

I am in denial. I keep asking myself, "Should I replace the Kindle I have at the moment for the DX?" What got me was the PDF feature. I read from a lot of PDF sources, which include my resumes and cover letters, and if they appear as you would see on a computer monitor's screen, I'm sold! Oh, I don't know. I sold my original Kindle the day before yesterday, so I have money left over. Then, I could sell my current Kindle once the DX comes out.

I have noticed a lot of people, especially journalists, are complaining about the price and stuff, but my conjecture is that they are in denial too. I know they want it, they want it badly, but they find some way or some how to dissuade themselves from purchasing it, and the price is a perfect caveat. Think about it; many people that have complained about the Kindle 2 coming out too soon (and I'm in that pool), and many of those same individuals that complained about the price, the screen size, the lack-of-color, etc., bought it!

My denial has led me to complain about it, but, all-in-all, I might end up buying it. Not immediately, though, but if I keep watching that damned video, I might end up clicking the "Pre-order" option sooner than I thought. Eek!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hehe, I succumbed to the preorder button almost right away. Doesn't stop you from wanting to watch the videos again though. :D

Here's my rationalization.

Kindle cost = $359

Kindle DX cost = $489 less approx tax savings of 35% $171 = $318 (I can justify buying this for my business and writing it off as a business expense).

See the DX is cheaper than the Kindle. ;D

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am close to hitting the "buy it now" button. I am with you about rationalizing the purchase. It IS cheaper per square inch than the regular K. ;)

Forster said:
Hehe, I succumbed to the preorder button almost right away. Doesn't stop you from wanting to watch the videos again though. :D

Kindle cost = $359

Kindle DX cost = $489 less approx tax savings of 35% $171 = $318 (I can justify buying this for my business and writing it off as a business expense).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Forster said:

Kindle cost = $359

Don't forget to factor in state and local taxes as well. Say another 8%, makes it cheaper yet. ;D

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Forster said:
I'm really trying to figure out a way to use the Kindle I already have, or the new one, as a business deduction. I don't suppose the IRS will accept "I wanted to see how my work formats in real use..."

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thumper said:
I'm really trying to figure out a way to use the Kindle I already have, or the new one, as a business deduction. I don't suppose the IRS will accept "I wanted to see how my work formats in real use..."
IMO that is a perfectly legitimate business use.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
ElLector said:
I hope I'm not the only one with this problem, and I if I am, oh, that sucks...for me. Okay, so this is the problem: I can't stop watching that Kindle DX video on Amazon's Kindle DX page. I would wake up in the morning, brush my teeth, do my 400-rep pushup workourt for 60 minutes, take a shower after pure exhaustion, get changed, and...BOOM...I go to Amazon's page and watch the freakin' video. After watching the video, I would start to read from my Kindle (as you may have already noticed, they don't call it Kindle 2 anymore) or DTB, and...BOOM...I watch the video again. I'm almost beginning to think that I know the people there. That's it! They hired a consumer psychologist to suck me (us) in! I know it. I know it. I know it.

I am in denial. I keep asking myself, "Should I replace the Kindle I have at the moment for the DX?" What got me was the PDF feature. I read from a lot of PDF sources, which include my resumes and cover letters, and if they appear as you would see on a computer monitor's screen, I'm sold! Oh, I don't know. I sold my original Kindle the day before yesterday, so I have money left over. Then, I could sell my current Kindle once the DX comes out.

I have noticed a lot of people, especially journalists, are complaining about the price and stuff, but my conjecture is that they are in denial too. I know they want it, they want it badly, but they find some way or some how to dissuade themselves from purchasing it, and the price is a perfect caveat. Think about it; many people that have complained about the Kindle 2 coming out too soon (and I'm in that pool), and many of those same individuals that complained about the price, the screen size, the lack-of-color, etc., bought it!

My denial has led me to complain about it, but, all-in-all, I might end up buying it. Not immediately, though, but if I keep watching that damned video, I might end up clicking the "Pre-order" option sooner than I thought. Eek!
Oh, you made me look! I was ignoring it. I don't need to read pdf's and it is a little big to carry around but now I'm thinking it would be great to read at home - that large screen! Oh my, is right.

I will definitely wait a while, though. I want to read the reviews this time and find out if the text is darker and if there are the same fading issues as with the K2. Looks like a sweet product, though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DD said:
Oh, you made me look! I was ignoring it. I don't need to read pdf's and it is a little big to carry around but now I'm thinking it would be great to read at home - that large screen! Oh my, is right.

I will definite wait a while, though. I want to read the reviews this time and find out if the text is darker and if there are the same fading issues as with the K2. Looks like a sweet product, though.
Yes, DD! You're so on-point about the text and fading issues. My concern is that too. I had to return my first Kindle for the sun-fading problem, and I don't want to have to go through that again. Another thing, too, is that I'm applying for jobs overseas (mostly China) to teach English as a foreign language, and I don't want to have any problems with my Kindle if and when I'm out there.

Sorry for making you look. o:)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm not addicted to the video like you are. On a side note, 400 pushups is not bad. I'm working on it as well although I'm not at that level. Started working out 4 months ago and I feel Grrreat!  ::)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kind said:
I'm not addicted to the video like you are. On a side note, 400 pushups is not bad. I'm working on it as well although I'm not at that level. Started working out 4 months ago and I feel Grrreat! ::)
It takes a lot of dedication and concentration to get to that level. Keep it up and I'm sure you'll get there and beyond! (I use the Perfect Push up and Perfect Counter to monitor my form and reps.) I'm so proud of you, though. I love it when people tell me that they feel "great" because that motivates me as well. Physically, I'm in the best shape of my life. I focus on my exercises just as much as my reading. I try to create a symbiosis between the two. I wish you all the best!

Hey, it never hurts to look sexy while you're reading from your Kindle. Heh heh. :p

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thumper said:
I think it's a perfectly good explanation to the IRS! If I buy equipment to test the products that my company makes then it's a legit business expense - we (and you) need to know that the product works for the consumer.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Well, anyone wanting to part with their K1, I am looking for a gently loved one for about $225-$250 for a dear friend who can't afford one right now....

Not that I am ENABLING you to get DX or anything  ::)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts