Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I figure I'll start from the beginning.

I'm waiting next to the door, staring down the street waiting for the UPS guy to arrive. I finally hear that telltale rumbling engine, and I'm opening the door before the UPS guy even rings the bell. He's holding the box like its not important whatsoever, and I want to slap him for that. Respect the Kindle, eh? He passes me the signature pad, and I'm pretty sure my signature was a collection of dots, because I was too excited to actually sign anything and I wanted that box in my hands. So, he passed me the box, and I ran insided with it.

How innocent the box looks! How very bland and....brown. I took a few deep breaths, and sliced open the clear packaging tape, and eagerly ripped out the bubble wrap. I peeled off the thin cardboard surrounding the actual Kindle box and....there it was. That beautiful packaging that I've seen and heard about so many times. I undid the elastic and saw my Kindle for the first time. It was simply astounding. I took the left side of the box apart first, laying out each individual component. Then...I took out the Kindle. First thought: WOW. Second thought: After all this raving about how light it was, it's heavier than I expected. That's not to say it's not incredibly light, I was just expecting it to be the weight of a feather. Anyway, I peeled off the tape covering the device and the screen and turned it on.

So, I know how everybody raves about e-ink, but you cannot fathom how amazingly clear and generally perfect it looks until you have a kindle in your hands. It looks nothing like a screen at all. If you just showed me the screen, and not the rest of the Kindle, it would be hard to tell if it was a screen. I booted it up, and watched the reflective bar spin around. In all the videos I've seen, it looks black. I was amazed that it was actually reflective! How did they do that? It showed me the amazon kindle screen, and then I saw my welcome letter. I devoured it. It was perfect. I skimmed the guide, (I had already read it) and went right into Kindle store, downloading some samples. And it was fast. Faster then I had ever expected. I dove into one, and soon forgot I was reading an electronic device. It was just like a DTB. Any inhibitions I still had about making the switch tIo ebooks vanished. I played around with text size, the dictionary and all that, and just was happy as a clam. It only took 20 minutes to charge to full, so that was great. I fitted it into the case, and after a few attempts at getting it to fit into that little plastic piece, and having the back cover fall off, it worked perfectly. No worries about it falling out. I honestly really like the cover, and won't consider getting a new one until it wears out. So, after finishing my first sample, I bought the book. This sample thing is going to be the death of me (and my finances). It downloaded like lightning as well.

I spent the next hour happily reading away, as you all have or soon will. I then cycled through a ton of screensavers, just to see them all. There are a ton (Oscar Wilde, eek!)! I had already played around with the store, so I asked something to NowNow. I asked it a question I already knew the answer to, and got a response in 15 minutes, with more info than I asked for. (I rated it great). I then asked it a very obscure question about carborators in a Gremlin, and I have not gotten a response yet, and it's been over two hours. Overall though, I'm pleased with the feature. The basic web works well with the mobile version of all the sites I frequent, so I was pleased with that as well.

I love the dictionary. I never realized how many words I didn't know the definition of while I was reading. I could guess it using context clues, but I never actually knew. Now I do. I love that feature. I played around with highlighting and clipping things, but since this is primarily enjoyment based, I'm not sure I'll use that as much. But it worked well.

And then to the free stuff. I added 19 free books I found from freekindlebooks.org, and sent them directly to my Kindle. They all arrived in about a minute after sending them, and they all look great. So many free books, so little time. I was impresesed with the download time to my Kindle. I was impressed with practically everything about my Kindle.

To sum up, Kindle is amazing, and I cannot believe I own this amazing piece of technology. I love it, and don't question the purchase at all. There is no way to sum up how truly great this thing is, and I won't attempt to try. You all know what I mean.  ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bacardi Jim said:
So, I gather you were disappointed and will be asking for your money back?
You know, I considered starting my topic saying that, but then decided I didn't want to give everybody a heart attack just for a little fun on my part.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Don't listen to Jim...he drinks too much...signed; Marge & Rita
Seriously: Kindle is the best thing ever; you will not regret your purchase.  I would do it all over again and pay even more if I had to.  Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Kimblee said:
To sum up, Kindle is amazing, and I cannot believe I own this amazing piece of technology. I love it, and don't question the purchase at all. There is no way to sum up how truly great this thing is, and I won't attempt to try. You all know what I mean. ;)
Yes, we certainly do. Happy Kindling!!!!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Congrats. What a great story! I felt the same sense of excitement you did when I first got it (and I still do almost a week later). It really is an awesome device.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hey birthday buddy!! I am so happy and excited for you. I was able to relive my first day with the kindle while reading yours!! ... and I totally agree with your response to Oscar!! My first reaction was YIKES!! hehe... He showed up again last night when I put Kwinn to sleep at bedtime and I had to change it! Anyway, enjoy!! :D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I love these falling in love stories. Thanks Kimblee. So glad to know you love your Kindle...

L

G

·
Leslie said:
I love these falling in love stories. Thanks Kimblee. So glad to know you love your Kindle...

L
Now I'm imagining Kimblee and her Kindle running toward each other through a field of daisies.

*takes a drink to wipe image from brain*

·
Registered
165 Posts
So happy to hear of the beginning of your Kindle adventure!  Wishing you many, many hours of happiness with your new Kindle friend.

G

·
Is it OK if I just copy/paste your story when mine comes?  I wont be able to write anything and i don't like drooling on my keyboard.  Maybe Monday for me...

I also had the daisy picture in my head...:)

·
Registered
829 Posts
::doing the happy dance for you::

So happy that you are your Kindle are finally together!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congrats Kimblee! It is a rather amazing experience to open the box and hold it in your hot little hand.

Nemo

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not to rain on your parade but beware of the dreaded "One Click Finger" syndrome!  ;D

G

·
Yes, One click can be a very dangerous thing in the wrong hands.  Remember with great power, comes great responsibility.  Use it wisely. 

OH GOD, who am I kidding?  I'll have to disable one click or go bankrupt. i have no self control! Aaaaaaaaaaah!!!~runs away screaming~

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Vampyre said:
Yes, One click can be a very dangerous thing in the wrong hands. Remember with great power, comes great responsibility. Use it wisely.

OH GOD, who am I kidding? I'll have to disable one click or go bankrupt. i have no self control! Aaaaaaaaaaah!!!~runs away screaming~
Keep in mind, one click on the Kindle works, even if one click on your Amazon account is turned off.

L

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I just absolutely love hearing these stories.  I remember it all too well.  It's become similar these days to the wait back in March, the anticipation is overwhelming.  I can't wait to witness it when Matt's comes. 

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Vampyre said:
Is it OK if I just copy/paste your story when mine comes? I wont be able to write anything and i don't like drooling on my keyboard. Maybe Monday for me...
Me too, k? I don't have the writing chops to get my feelings across like you did. Your story brought tears to my eyes, I love a happy ending! I'm so happy for you Kimblee, congrats on your new family member!

Vampyre and I will be going through the same scenario today, I hope mine gets here SOON! ;D

I just went out to check the steps... nothing. MAN it's cold out there!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts