·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really used to love listening to his radio shows!  :(

·
Registered
300 Posts
I love listening to Paul Harvery on the radio.
... and now you know the rest of the story.
God Bless Mr. Harvey's family.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
What??? No more "Rest of the story???" He had a great voice and I loved his 'Stories'

theresam

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I expect "the rest of the story" will continue.  His son, Paul Harvey Jr. has been doing his news bit for the last little few weeks at least -- we listen on the way to work usually. . . . boy, does he sound Just Like his dad. . .. one wonders if his voice is really that close or if he sort of cultivates it because his dad's voice is so distinctive.  Either way, it's still fun to listen to. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The one newscaster who wasn't just a mouthpiece. He will be sorely missed not only for his excellent broadcasting skills but for that rare quality of honest journalism. Sadly we have none of that now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll try to make this story brief. I had a cat many years ago named Miss Calabash. As a kid, I had seen Jimmy Durante perform on a talk show, and he always ended his show with "Goodnight folks, and goodnight Miss Calabash, wherever you are". He kept it pretty much a mystery all his career who Miss Calabash was. So, in the weird way 10 year olds think, I decided then and there that someday I'd name a pet of mine Miss Calabash. So I did.

When I'd had her for about 16 years and she was sick and a week or so away from dying, I had a client come in one day (I worked at home and all my clients knew my cat) and asked how she was doing, then said he'd just heard Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story". That day, the subject was...the origin of Jimmy Durante's Miss Calabash tagline. He told the whole story of how Durante met her as a young man, fell in love but she was already married, so he told her "If I can't have you, I'm going to make you famous.".

After my cat died, I wrote a letter to Paul Harvey and thanked him for, after 16 years, letting me know the origin of my cat's name. His son, who at the time was his main researcher for his dad's show, wrote me a really gracious letter about pets and loss and all. Very nice.

As several of you said, rest in peace.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
and now you know. . . .the rest of the story. . . .thanks honyock!

Ann

·
Registered
13 Posts
:'( I had heard of his passing and it hit me like "whoa". Really no other words came to my mind. This is a person who has witnessed and reported on some of history's greatest moments in such a graceful and may I add non-partisan way. This non-partisan nature was what amazed me the most about the man, it honestly didn't matter what your politics were becuase you were always able to know "the rest of the story". We are richer for having heard his sweet voice yet even poorer for losing him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts