Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depending on the enthusiasm behind those four words, the people delivering them either think they're talking to the financial equal of Stephen King (Oh!!! You're a WRITER!!!!! )...or the opposite side of the coin: they're talking to an idealistic fool whose unrealistic hopes and dreams are about to be cruelly dashed.

There's always the chance that the people speaking those words are completely clueless. They might not be sure what a book actually is. Say the term ebook and their eyes glaze over. ??? ???

How do you handle moments like these? What do you say?

Note: I've been told to get people interested in your book, get them talking about themselves first, then try like hell to make a tie-in. What works best for you?

WPG

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm struggling with this, too. My book, Legacy was announced on my work's intranet site, which is great, but now coworkers are giving me the "oh, you're a writer?" every day.

I'm still sort of awkward with it, because I'm unsure how to walk the fine line between boring them with details or just saying "Yep! I'm excited about it," and staring at them stupidly.

Plus, then you get the folks who want to tell you all about their book idea, because, as you know, anyone can write a silly, old book ;).

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'll be a writer when it pays my bills. Until then, I'm a musician. :)

Actually, I'll always be a musician. I'll just be a writer-musician in the future.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Then you get the snarky knowing ones whose next question is: "Where have you been published?"
It gives me great pleasure to begin with "Penguin, and end with KDP, a big US publisher."  ;D

·
Registered
586 Posts
William Peter Grasso said:
Depending on the enthusiasm behind those four words, the people delivering them either thinks they're talking to the financial equal of Stephen King (Oh!!! You're a WRITER!!!!! ). Or the opposite side of the coin: they're talking to an idealistic fool whose unrealistic hopes and dreams are about to be cruelly dashed.

There's always the chance that the people speaking those words are completely clueless. They might not be sure what a book actually is. Say the term ebook and their eyes glaze over. ??? ???

How do you handle moments like these? What do you say?

Note: I've been told to get people interested in your book, get them talking about themselves first, then try like hell to make a tie-in. What works best for you?

WPG
I had a non book reader join the firm I worked for. He told me "All books are cr*p." Yet he also told me his smut videos have to have a story. How do you deal with someone like that? Just as well I didn't mention e books to him. I couldn't repeat what he said when he saw me on my net book. writing. What was it that fellow in the tea towel with the beard said? "Don't cast pearls before swine." Good advice.

·
Registered
586 Posts
ilyria_moon said:
I'll be a writer when it pays my bills. Until then, I'm a musician. :)

Actually, I'll always be a musician. I'll just be a writer-musician in the future.
I used to be a bus driver who wrote. Now I'm a writer looking for a bus driving job:) Sign of the times?

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Most people I mention it to are enthusiastic.  I think many DO assume I am somehow amassing a fortune by selling my books and wonder if they can find adaptations of my books for their NetFlix queue.  Most of them like to tell me that they wrote back in college and high school and more than a few tell me "yeah, well, I write poetry."  I always nod an encourage them to keep writing.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Jan Hurst-Nicholson said:
Then you get the snarky knowing ones whose next question is: "Where have you been published?"
It gives me great pleasure to begin with "Penguin, and end with KDP, a big US publisher." ;D
One dude at my work keeps asking me "how sales are going," and then smirks at me.

Yeah.

·
Registered
586 Posts
JCF said:
Best time this phrase was said to me was,

"Oh, you're a writer! Have you written anything I've read?"
"Oh, you're a writer! I've got a book in me."
"What, you eat books?"

·
Registered
513 Posts
greenpen said:
"Oh, you're a writer! I've got a book in me."
"What, you eat books?"
I have a song in my heart....

And the first three chapters of a werepire musical romance cozy on my hard drive!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RebeccaKnight said:
One dude at my work keeps asking me "how sales are going," and then smirks at me.

Yeah.
I know that feeling, Rebecca...Before a large group yesterday, a friend of mine called out to me, with a chesire cat smile, "Bill! Have you sold a million books yet?"

I had no choice but to smile back and say, "Nah...I'm still a few zeroes short."

(BTW, thanks for nobody pointing out the several horrific grammatical errors, now corrected, in my original post) :D

WPG

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
greenpen said:
I used to be a bus driver who wrote. Now I'm a writer looking for a bus driving job:) Sign of the times?
At least I'm not the only bus driver here on KB. I work with working class people who are impressed that I write books and are sure I will be famous soon. However they don't read books much so I can't sell them copies.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I don't like talking about it, since I'm not uber successful at it (yet). I just nod awkwardly and go 'yeah' and then answer what questions they have. It's only come up a couple of times at my church, other than that I don't have to deal with it (thankfully!)

When asked what I do I used to say I'm a writer, but then you get those condescending jerks that were mentioned above. But now when asked what I do I just say "I'm a book cover designer" since I make 5x more doing that than I do in eBook sales and it seems to get a drastically better reaction out of people.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Despite having been 'a writer' for about forty years, that has never come up for me.  I did not tell any of my coworkers I was a writer until my books had been in the book stores for a couple years.  And then only one guy.  And when Carl Melcher became a finalist at the Frankfurt eBook Awards, told a few more (I had to tell my boss so I could fly to Germany for the awards.  No, I didn't win). 

Most people think of me as... (I heard he published a book.  or, Didn't he win some award or something?  or, If he wants to strike it rich as a writer, why is he hanging around here.  There's a lot of people who need jobs, or I looked for his books in Borders and didn't see any.  You must be mistaken (They 'used to be there')

Anyway, I don't introduce myself at gatherings as a writer.  Just humble, I guess.  It sounds too much like saying, "I'm an actor." 

Well, gotta go and write.

Best!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts