Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're an Ohio Kindler with access to the wonderful ClevNet eMedia collection ( http://www.clevnet.org/ ), would you please PM me? Someone mentioned ClevNet on this or another board and I've been drooling over their eBook collection available for loan. I'd love to talk to someone about getting a library card for me for their digital media only (not their physical collection) in exchange for my deep appreciation and a gift card to your choice of a wide variety of vendors as a "thank you". :) PM me if you're interested and we'll talk!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
BookishMom said:
If you're an Ohio Kindler with access to the wonderful ClevNet eMedia collection ( http://www.clevnet.org/ ), would you please PM me? Someone mentioned ClevNet on this or another board and I've been drooling over their eBook collection available for loan. I'd love to talk to someone about getting a library card for me for their digital media only (not their physical collection) in exchange for my deep appreciation and a gift card to your choice of a wide variety of vendors as a "thank you". :) PM me if you're interested and we'll talk!
I'm not from Ohio but are you saying you don't live in Ohio and want someone to get a library card for you? If it's anything like my library systems in MD and FL, you have to produce a proof of residency to get a card. Where do you live? Other libraries have the exact collection. My library in FL does and my son's library in NYC does also. It is the basically the same collection through OverDrive Media.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I am in Arizona right now and I'm interested with Ohio Kindler. Is there a possibility that I can access the ebook in my place?or I should fly to Ohio for this?

_________________


It is not all books that are as dull as their readers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DD said:
I'm not from Ohio but are you saying you don't live in Ohio and want someone to get a library card for you? If it's anything like my library systems in MD and FL, you have to produce a proof of residency to get a card. Where do you live? Other libraries have the exact collection. My library in FL does and my son's library in NYC does also. It is the basically the same collection through OverDrive Media.
Unfortunately, all libraries are not created equally as far as their digital collections are concerned. Each library decides which eBooks/Audiobooks they want to provide for their patrons (through OverDrive and/or Netlibrary) and that's what's available. The better-funded libraries (and those more committed to eMedia) have much better collections.

My local and state libraries' digital media collection (and those of surrounding states) are very minimal to non-existent, so I get out-of-state library cards wherever I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jill7475 said:
I am in Arizona right now and I'm interested with Ohio Kindler. Is there a possibility that I can access the ebook in my place?or I should fly to Ohio for this?
Check your local and state library websites (or call them) to see if they have subscriptions to OverDrive and NetLibrary (OverDrive is better, so make sure to check for OverDrive specifically). I think you may be in good shape in Arizona. If not, check into other state libraries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
BookishMom said:
Unfortunately, all libraries are not created equally as far as their digital collections are concerned. Each library decides which eBooks/Audiobooks they want to provide for their patrons (through OverDrive and/or Netlibrary) and that's what's available. The better-funded libraries (and those more committed to eMedia) have much better collections.

My local and state libraries' digital media collection (and those of surrounding states) are very minimal to non-existent, so I get out-of-state library cards wherever I can.
I'm confused (but that's not all that unusual). How do you get an out-of-state library card with no proof of residence? Does the person getting it for you put it in their name? Isn't that risky for the person if they are a stranger to you? Had to ask. ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DD said:
I'm confused (but that's not all that unusual). How do you get an out-of-state library card with no proof of residence? Does the person getting it for you put it in their name? Isn't that risky for the person if they are a stranger to you? Had to ask. ???
From what I understand, it's in the other person's name. (I've never done this before, but I think those who have said that's how it's done.) Since eMedia is returned automatically, and you're not borrowing anything physical, there's no chance of stealing or not returning anything and accruing fines, etc. The NYPL, and several others, allow out-of-state patrons for a non-resident fee, but you have to either appear in person to register, or send an application and proof of identity (copy of Driver's Lic) via mail. Let me know if you're interested and I'll share more info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
BookishMom said:
From what I understand, it's in the other person's name. (I've never done this before, but I think those who have said that's how it's done.) Since eMedia is returned automatically, and you're not borrowing anything physical, there's no chance of stealing or not returning anything and accruing fines, etc. The NYPL, and several others, allow out-of-state patrons for a non-resident fee, but you have to either appear in person to register, or send an application and proof of identity (copy of Driver's Lic) via mail. Let me know if you're interested and I'll share more info.
No, I was just wondering if the e-checkouts you do would count toward the other person's total # of allowed checkouts (both e-books and physical books) on their account and if that might become a problem for someone who checks out a lot of books. Maybe if you have a relative in another location, it might be better dealing with them rather than a stranger. Something about being connected to a strangers account bothers me. But that's just me. Sometimes my husband tells me I'm overly cautious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DD said:
No, I was just wondering if the e-checkouts you do would count toward the other person's total # of allowed checkouts (both e-books and physical books) on their account and if that might become a problem for someone who checks out a lot of books. Maybe if you have a relative in another location, it might be better dealing with them rather than a stranger. Something about being connected to a strangers account bothers me. But that's just me. Sometimes my husband tells me I'm overly cautious.
No, you're right - if the person is an avid reader, then there would definitely be conflicts since I check out for my whole family and tend to be right at the limit all the time. (That's why I'd like to have several ecards - I have the NYPL card, and will have one from DC when I travel there in a few months.) I wish I had family in Ohio - most of my family are not readers (well, most of the people I know in real life aren't readers... they're insane), so I was hoping to connect with someone here who has a relative or friend who isn't a reader and wouldn't normally get a library card. I'll take their's and stand in for them! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,588 Posts
Having stumbled across this thread, I feel compelled to say that I think such subterfuge is wrong incorrect. The reason the state in question requires proof of residency is because they are using local/state tax revenues to provide services for the people that paid those taxes. And they are limiting the access to them. The subterfuge seems "incorrect".
Just sayin...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
geoffthomas said:
Having stumbled across this thread, I feel compelled to say that I think such subterfuge is wrong incorrect. The reason the state in question requires proof of residency is because they are using local/state tax revenues to provide services for the people that paid those taxes. And they are limiting the access to them. The subterfuge seems "incorrect".
Just sayin...
Well, yes, Geoff, unless the state offers the right to get a library card if you pay a fee. Then it would be OK. But if they offer cards only to residents of the state, then you're right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DD said:
Well, yes, Geoff, unless the state offers the right to get a library card if you pay a fee. Then it would be OK. But if they offer cards only to residents of the state, then you're right.
Yes, several do - the non-resident fee is supposed to cover the taxes that non-residents don't pay. Of course, a donation to Friends of the Library goes a long way if they don't charge a fee (as a Thank You).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
You can pay an out of state fee ($100, I believe) to join one of the NY libraries, but I don't have any more info than that off the top of my head. It has been mentioned on the board before, so see what a search brings up if you're interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
I live in the Ohio/ClevNet area :)

And yes, I love the large collection of books they have. I download a lot of audiobooks and listen on my MP3 player. I use my card all the time. My local library is about 5 miles from me. I don't mind asking them if an out of state person can own a card but I use my card too much to add another user.

I also live within near the first library system that is allowing EPUB books to be checked out. (The Cuyahoga County Libraries). I have one library card that works for both systems. It's really nice that I can go to the Cuyahoga County Libraries and get a card and then use it for CleveNet also.

I can got 20 books from each system at a time on the one card.

I can ask them if you are allowed when I go to return books this week if you are interested.

The one problem I can think of is that once a year I have to go in with my card and drivers license to keep my card current. So I'm guessing that would make owning a card out of state impossible.

Lynn M

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
love2read said:
I live in the Ohio/ClevNet area :)

And yes, I love the large collection of books they have. I download a lot of audiobooks and listen on my MP3 player. I use my card all the time. My local library is about 5 miles from me. I don't mind asking them if an out of state person can own a card but I use my card too much to add another user.

I also live within near the first library system that is allowing EPUB books to be checked out. (The Cuyahoga County Libraries). I have one library card that works for both systems. It's really nice that I can go to the Cuyahoga County Libraries and get a card and then use it for CleveNet also.

I can got 20 books from each system at a time on the one card.

I can ask them if you are allowed when I go to return books this week if you are interested.

The one problem I can think of is that once a year I have to go in with my card and drivers license to keep my card current. So I'm guessing that would make owning a card out of state impossible.

Lynn M
Lynn, I'm so jealous of you! But in a good way, and I appreciate any help you can give me. :)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top