Kindle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Joseph J Bailey said:
I have a 10-minute commute to work each day and come home for lunch.

I welcome knocking out several audiobooks each month on my drive.

The best part?

I listen to most of these books for free through my library!

I log in to the Hoopla app with my library card (just as I do with the Overdrive app for ebooks) and listen away.

The selection is not perfect but I am always surprised by the number of interesting titles I am able to unearth.
Wow, it would take me MONTHS to finish even ONE audiobook with a 10 minute commute! Most of the ones I listen to are 12+ hours long. It's great you utilize even those could-be-wasted minutes, though. Thanks for chiming in :)

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Claire_Gem said:
Wow, it would take me MONTHS to finish even ONE audiobook with a 10 minute commute! Most of the ones I listen to are 12+ hours long. It's great you utilize even those could-be-wasted minutes, though. Thanks for chiming in :)
One thing . . . there are a lot of books from Amazon that have audio versions as well and if you buy them both, you can sync between them. So that would let you 'eye read' when you can and 'ear read' the same book when you can't. :)

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
I hadn't thought about listening to Lord of the Rings. Do you have the Rob Inglis narration or the dramatization?
I have the Rob Inglis narration - he's the only reason I managed to finally get all the way through The Two Towers :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Andra said:
I have the Rob Inglis narration - he's the only reason I managed to finally get all the way through The Two Towers :)
Thanks. I'll have to see about getting those. I've got two credits outstanding right now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ann in Arlington said:
One thing . . . there are a lot of books from Amazon that have audio versions as well and if you buy them both, you can sync between them. So that would let you 'eye read' when you can and 'ear read' the same book when you can't. :)
Great suggestion! That's one option I have explored yet (i.e., learned how to use!)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I commute 3 hours a day . . . so I do a lot of audiobooks.  I've been listening to books on tape/cd . . . etc. for many years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
PMKeith said:
I commute 3 hours a day . . . so I do a lot of audiobooks. I've been listening to books on tape/cd . . . etc. for many years.
Thanks for chiming in. I think it's a medium not many people embrace, but would love it if they did. Glad to see Audible is starting to do more advertising. I was surprised to see a couple billboards on the Massachusetts Turnpike advertising them.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
NogDog said:
To date I have zero interest in listening to books. For all I know, if I tried it, I might like it -- but I love reading myself, at my pace, re-reading sentences or paragraphs that I particularly love or didn't understand, pausing to think about what the author just said...or skipping over boring exposition. :)

But ultimately, I think it's a different medium, in essence. Just like watching a movie is different than reading a book, I think listening to someone else read is a different experience than reading it yourself (though likely much less different than the movie/book comparison). Is one better than the other? That's purely subjective and situational. I wouldn't even be surprised if neuro-scientists doing MRI's would find out that your brain processes the story/information differently based on whether you read or listen to a book. Maybe the ultimate reading experience would be to read along while listening? :)
Excellent analysis. But the way, prior to printing press, when the availability of books was extremely limited (to say the least), the way most people experienced books was by hearing them read. Most people in those days were illiterate.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I love audiobooks too!  I've been a member of audible for as long as I can remember.  I mostly listen to them after I go to bed.  No difficulty falling asleep and I can't tell you how many times I've finished the same book.  :eek:  I rewind it every night but I eventually finish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do listen to audiobooks when I am about to sleep.  ::)The narration tends to make me sleepy. I prefer Drama Cds over audiobooks. Drama Cds (specially the Japanese ones) are movies in my ears. Whatever genre, be it thriller, mystery, or romance, they never fail to leave listeners under eargasm. ;D ;D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think audiobooks are pretty great personally, I can just load it up and listen on the subway or on my commute. It's pretty convenient for me at least.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I never thought I'd enjoy audiobooks but now they're my first choice.

When I first started listening, my ebook reading dropped significantly.
But it's coming back up slowly.

My preferred reading time has always been at bed time so I can relax.
My neurotic tendencies can't tolerate daytime interruptions.

Now I'm mostly audio at night (sometimes both audio and ebook, different books)
and ebook during wait times.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I don't get in a lot of audio time, but it does surpass my ebook time some days. It depends if I get in a second walk during the day. My reading/listening time has been greatly reduced for the last few years. That's why I set aside specific times to read/listen each day.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
P.S.  There is a MASSIVE sale going on Audible right now.  I'm snatching up audiobooks left and right for cheaper than credits!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
KateDanley said:
Audiobooks can be hit or miss for me (it is TOTALLY narrator driven), but I have become a HUGE fan of radio plays. Cabin Pressure? Welcome to Our Village, Please Invade Carefully: Series 1? LOVE!! I also discovered that Echo will stream BBC Radio 4, which is rich with radio plays. ADORE!
Alexa doesn't seem to understand. What command do you use to get the radio plays?

KateDanley said:
P.S. There is a MASSIVE sale going on Audible right now. I'm snatching up audiobooks left and right for cheaper than credits!
I know. I'm afraid to look. My backlist keeps getting longer.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I love audiobooks. I love reading on my kindle as well, but some days it just doesn't happen much. I can listen to audiobooks while getting ready in the morning or while doing boring tasks around the house. I especially like to listen to them if I am knitting, as others have mentioned. I feel that I am getting so much done if I can knit and "read" a book at the same time! :)  Sometimes I am just too tired to read, so the audiobooks are great for that. For the most part I feel like the audio version can really bring the book to life if it has good narrator(s).

I like to get the kindle book from the library and then buy the audible version (usually for a very cheap price) and switch between the versions, depending on what I am doing that day. i can get through the book much faster that way.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
Alexa doesn't seem to understand. What command do you use to get the radio plays?

I know. I'm afraid to look. My backlist keeps getting longer.
I've just said, "Play BBC Radio 4" and she does it. And then for the audiobooks, I say, "Play Cabin Pressure on Audible." She sometimes is a little finicky, though, and I find I have to go to the app on my phone and play from there.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts