Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I'd like to talk through this with you again. To recap from previous discussions - I'd like to get a second reader for my children to share (avid readers, trying to get away from DTBs as much as possible, but don't want them to have access to my archived books on my Kindle). I was looking at a Sony 505 so I'd have two readers that will read a broader variety of formats.

We went to Borders to look at a Sony 505 in person today and also saw the 700. My two oldest children (that are still living with us) said that they definitely prefer the 505 due to screen clarity and glare issues. However, when they were asking about the features in comparison to my Kindle 1, they got more and more disappointed with the 505. They really want a dictionary and search function. They also like the page turn buttons on my Kindle better than the 505. They couldn't care less about the "coolness" factor (metal, thin, smaller form factor) - they want functionality, and felt the Kindle beats out the Sony 505 in several different areas. (I actually didn't realize how much more the Kindle has than the Sony until they asked me if Sony has this or that - things they noticed me using on the Kindle 1 - and I had to say, "well... no" each time.)

So, now I'm thinking I'll buy another Kindle for me, and pass down my Kindle 1 to them, instead of getting them a Sony. I'm chewing over whether to get a Kindle 2 or a DX. A DX would be my home eReader, and I could still use their Kindle 1 for travel (putting any books I want to read on an SD card to keep them separate from their books). Money isn't an issue because I've been saving my AZ reward points and can cover either model. Do you have any feedback about any of this?

This is my main question - I think I may have asked this before, but want to make sure. If I deregister my Kindle 1 (so they won't have access to my archived books), I can still transfer any ebooks (whether Kindle format or another Kindle-accepted format) to the Kindle 1 via USB. Right? Deregistering it won't affect anything but their ability to buy books and have an archive, right? Can they still use Whispernet to access the web, wikipedia, or browse the bookstore? Or will Whispernet be deactivated when I deregister? What other effects will deregistration have?

I really thought I would go with a Sony as our second eReader. I'm so glad I took my children with me so they could look at it and ask questions. It really clarified a lot of things for me (and them).

Thanks for your help :) , and any feedback about getting a K2 or DX. I want to wait for user feedback about the DX first before I make a decision, but I'm tempted because of the bigger screen and PDF support. But maybe you'll think of a negative that I haven't thought of.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Well, I think what I'd do is sign up for a different account for the kids, and let their Kindle(s) share that account. I *think* if you de-register yours, you can still use the books from your account, just no new ones.

If you ever want to carry your Kindle in your purse, don't get the DX, it's just too big. Unless you need the big screen for diagrams, graphs, maps etc I'd stick with the smaller K2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello BookishMom,

I can't speak to the topic of deregistering the Kindle, but having a thread on it recently (just a few posts down), I did recently make the jump to a Kindle 2 after Kindle 1 ownership.

I've only had the Kindle 2 for a weekend, but I enjoy it much more than my Kindle 1. The unit seems more "responsive" to me, faster reaction time, etc. The unit also is noticably lighter if you use it for an extended period of time. I don't like the native font on it, but hacks exist to bold up the font a bit. I did that and it looks almost exactly like the K1 again.

I was thinking about a DX for a bit...the problem that I find is that by getting an eBook reader, I wanted something very small and portable. I can throw the K2 in my netbook bag and have both my laptop and ereader in a small compact package. The DX just would not be able to do that. While I think it's a novel idea, I couldn't picture reading a book on a screen that big, it would just not seem practical. If you tended to read periodicals and newspapers, then I would say go for the DX. However, to me it just seems to defeat the point of an ebook. Just my opinions though =)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
BookishMom said:
This is my main question - I think I may have asked this before, but want to make sure. If I deregister my Kindle 1 (so they won't have access to my archived books), I can still transfer any ebooks (whether Kindle format or another Kindle-accepted format) to the Kindle 1 via USB. Right? Deregistering it won't affect anything but their ability to buy books and have an archive, right? Can they still use Whispernet to access the web, wikipedia, or browse the bookstore? Or will Whispernet be deactivated when I deregister? What other effects will deregistration have?

Thanks for your help :) , and any feedback about getting a K2 or DX. I want to wait for user feedback about the DX first before I make a decision, but I'm tempted because of the bigger screen and PDF support. But maybe you'll think of a negative that I haven't thought of.
If you deregister your Kindle 1, you will not be able to add any of the books bought from Amazon to it. Once it is deregistered nothing already bought and on the sd card will work either. Even if you download those books to your computer, they will not be readable on the deregistered Kindle. Any books that you have bought at other sites and downloaded to your computer you should be able to transfer them to the Kindle 1. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Allusion said:
I was thinking about a DX for a bit...the problem that I find is that by getting an eBook reader, I wanted something very small and portable. I can throw the K2 in my netbook bag and have both my laptop and ereader in a small compact package. The DX just would not be able to do that. While I think it's a novel idea, I couldn't picture reading a book on a screen that big, it would just not seem practical. If you tended to read periodicals and newspapers, then I would say go for the DX. However, to me it just seems to defeat the point of an ebook. Just my opinions though =)
I agree with this. Unless you're planning to constantly read newspapers or textbooks, I wouldn't bother with the DX. Seems too big, heavy and awkward to use for regular everyday reading of books. I would recommend you stick with a K2, or even another K1 for everyday reading.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I tend to agree - unless you have a real NEED for the larger screen or native .PDF, I think the Kindle2 is a better personal choice than the DX.  Not only is the DX quite a bit larger, making it harder to hold with one hand, it also weighs nearly twice as much as the K2.  If you're like me and read for hours at a stretch, the added weight would be quite noticeable.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Prior to de-registering the Kindle, download anything you might want to read on it to the Kindle. You will then be able to read those books at any point until you delete them. If you download them after deregistering, they will not open. Books need to be downloaded specifically to that Kindle.

Non-Kindle e-books, assuming they are DRM free, are a non-issue.... You can add them to the Kindle or delete them any time you see fit.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
You can always open a second account on Amazon for their stuff, that way they have no access to the books you don't want them to have access to. I may be missing something, I have kind of been out of it today.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are so helpful! I wasn't thinking about the weight of the DX... I do read for extended periods, and I wasn't even thinking about that, so maybe it would be better to get the K2 (and at least I wouldn't have to wait for it like I would the DX).

If I create a second account, can I use the same credit card and email address? Also, can I switch the archive from my K1 to my K2 and start empty for my children. Does that make sense? ???

Edited after thinking about it -- to switch my archive from my K1 to K2, I would just deregister my K1, and reregister on the second Amazon account. It would lose all of my archive, but my K2 would pick it up. Right?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
"can I use the same credit card and email address"

I think so, I've ended up with more than one account accidentally with the same email address. About the deregistering and reregistering - I'm not entirely clear about that.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Do your kids have any other devices that can read e-books? For example ipod touches or iphones? If so just have them download the kindle app from itunes and you can get them their own account with no additional cost for devices.

Other than that weight wise the DX is 18 oz and the K1 10.3 oz with k2 10.2 according to Amazon. I'd probably just buy them a refurbished k1 to use because I'm really leery of all the screen issues I've read with the k2.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MonaSW said:
"can I use the same credit card and email address"

I think so, I've ended up with more than one account accidentally with the same email address. About the deregistering and reregistering - I'm not entirely clear about that.
I'm going to create a second account and see what happens. I'll report back! ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rasputina said:
Do your kids have any other devices that can read e-books? For example ipod touches or iphones? If so just have them download the kindle app from itunes and you can get them their own account with no additional cost for devices.

Other than that weight wise the DX is 18 oz and the K1 10.3 oz with k2 10.2 according to Amazon. I'd probably just buy them a refurbished k1 to use because I'm really leery of all the screen issues I've read with the k2.
My husband has a Touch that I don't think he'd mind them using, but I doubt their eyes could handle it. One of my children, especially, is a book-a-day (sometimes 2 books a day) reader and he would have the most problems. I also don't think the battery life of the Touch could keep up with him. It's a great suggestion, though.

I think I'll try the K2, and if it doesn't work for me (due to all the issues I've been reading), I can return it and get a refurbished K1.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I read on my iphone which uses more battery than the touch, all the time. It really doesn't use much battery to read. And with the new choices in background color and font it really doesn't strain my eyes and I'm in my 40s and wear glasses. The app is free, no reason to not at least give it a try.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I also saw a 500 today. I was just disappointed in the fact that it only hold 160 books. They did not have the 700 there, and I would have loved to see it. It looks nicer, IMO. Though, I personally don't like the Sony eReaders. They don't quite compare to the Kindle. I would say shoot for your original plan. Get another Kindle for yourself, and give your old K1 to them. As for the account issues, you seem to have it solved and covered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
  This is my first post (been lurking for a while) I just wanted to say that I don't think there is a wrong choice between the 505 and the Kindle. They both have their pros and cons. It just depends on wants and needs. When I was looking last year for a reader I went with the 505 mainly for a few reasons, I love the build of the Sony and to me the K1 was not that um.. nice looking.  I had never used a dictionary when reading  and I didn't care about whispernet ( though I thought it was cool) I also use the local library and the Sony would allow me check out books.  I also was glad that the 505 had expandable memory (SD and MSPD) so it can hold thousands of books.  A couple of weeks ago I decided i wanted to "upgrade" to the 700... BIG mistake.  The touch screen was nice and the search feature was cool and I was stoked about the rapid turning of pages, being able to skim through dozens of pages at a time was neat.  This all came at a cost of resolution and I returned it.
  The one thing that was eating at me since I bought the 505 was the Amazon store (price and selection). I have always found the Amazon store up to $2.00 cheaper on the books that I want to read and sometimes being the only place that has the books I want to read. I read about 2-5 books a week depending upon the books and so I got the brilliant idea to take the money that I got back for the 700 and throw it Amazon's way. I liked the way the Kindle 2 looked and was curious as too what the fuss was about.  I liked it so much I bought my wife one this past week.  BTW Amazon's customer service is great!  Her Kindle came with a mashed in "next page" button and a on/off button that would get stuck depressed and we called Amazon and the next day her replacement was on our doorstep.
  The Kindle 2 is an awesome reader, though not as "book like" as the 505 (I think because of the keyboard I feel I am reading a big calculator) My only complaints are the fact it did not arrive with a cover and the battery life is nowhere near that of the 505 even with the whispernet turned off.  My wife doesn't care about the cover as I showed her the Oberon covers and she is deciding which one she wants. I do like keyboard (although distracting) more-so than the touchscreen keyboard of the 700. I like the dictionary and the external speakers for TTS and Audible books. I like the next page button locations and size, though I wish they had one like the Sony at the bottom.  I will buy the occasional book on the 505 and mainly use it for library books but the Kindle has moved to being my primary reader due to the Amazon store. I really really like getting samples.  This is my wife's favorite thing about the Kindle as it allows us to discover new authors easier. I will admit I do have a love hate relationship with Whispernet as it is TOO easy to purchase books and I have already bought 11 books from the Amazon store not counting the freebies I downloaded as well.
  Sorry about the rant but I truly believe that you can't go wrong with either the 505 or the Kindle. I would also like to thank the people of this board and another board who, while I lurked in the shadows, really cleared up some misconceptions I had about the Kindle and helped me in my decision to give it a whirl.  I love my Kindle!!.. and the other one too. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kikar, welcome to our forums. This is such a friendly and helpful place, and I'm glad you came out of lurkdom and joined us!  :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the 505 with us. I really liked what I read about it, and seeing it in person was great, but my children like the Kindle better (for the dictionary and search features, and the keyboard), so I'm going to go with getting a K2 for myself. I was seriously considering the DX, but not having page turn buttons on both sides (and a few other things) have helped me settle on the K2 instead.

I'm laughing about your comment about Whispernet... I so agree with you. It's way too easy to go into major debt!  ;)

Anyway, thanks for joining in - glad to have you with us!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I almost forgot to report in about creating a second Amazon account. The only thing different was the password - all other account info was the same. It couldn't have been easier. Amazon did inform me that I already had one account, and did I really want to create another?, and gave me reasons why I shouldn't, but didn't come right out and call me stupid. There was a reason for my madness, after all! ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks BookishMom...  I am going to be buying each of my parents a K2. Because of the dictionary function and the keyboard as well.  I alao feel that the K2 is the most user friendly reader on the market. No fussing with what format from which bookstore, very easy to shop and get books from the PC/Mac (they only have a mac) or from the device itself, and since they are getting older my parents really liked the bigger selection of font sizes on the Kindle.
  The great thing about the readers is, though I am buying more books, I am not really spending that much more money than I did when I soley purchased DTBs. And the money I saved has allowed me to explore new authors. And you have to love the free downloads that Amazon/Sony have. I dont think I have ever been to a brick and mortar and seen a section of free books for you to take home and keep.  ;D

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I believe you can re-register a Kindle after de-registering it. So you can register your kids Kindle, add books, and de-register it. When you want to add more books, you should be able to re-register it, add more books, and de-register it.

I would call customer service and ask them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts